MFP article photos depressing

Options

Replies

• SoulOfRusalka
    SoulOfRusalka Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    The ones that really piss me off are the articles that are like "how to conquer binge eating!" and the picture is a borderline-underweight girl shoving a burger in her mouth. :x
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options

SHE is on a WEIGHT-LOSS PLATEAU?!?!?! How much more could she possibly want/need to lose?!?

Pulease...

On an article explaining how to get killer abs, I expect to see a model with rockin abs... On an article about getting a stronger back, I expect to see an awesome back... On an article about breaking through a plateau, I expect to see someone who needs to lose a bit more...

That's fair.

I'm probably smaller in frame than this person, but I still have weight to lose. You're entitled to your opinion, but for me, I think that's a realistic photo to choose.

There is nothing in that image that tells you her bodyfat %, or that she "doesn't have much to lose". You can't see her stomach, thighs, arms. You know she's maybe "average" to "slim" but you can't see much beyond collarbone, and that can simply be genetics.

Your weightloss goals and body goals are your own; the closer you get to your GW, the harder it is to get those last few pounds. To me, seeing someone who doesn't have visible "extra weight" is more motivating than someone who is much larger because I remember the weight coming off much faster when I first started off.

I don't know, I guess I'm disappointed by a lot of the comments here deriding the smaller bodytypes because they aren't as "average". Is this what I'm going to start getting when I get to my ideal size and physique through healthy changes? I'm just going to get "eat a burger" and "how much more do you need to lose?! GAWD" and "you're already skinny enough!" and "how much more do you think you have to lose? Ugh, you don't know what it's like to plateau for real".

Forget that. You don't have to tear down someone else's body to raise a complaint about advertising. That's a real person. All of these models are real people, and they probably work intensely hard to monitor their calories and activity because their body is their product.

Everyone here is aspiring towards a goal and nobody deserves to be derided for their size or aspirations. Period.

Agreed. I can't believe the comments suggesting that fitness models and athletes, of all people on God's green earth, don't have to work at getting their bodies into the shape they're in. As if you can walk in off the street with a donut in one hand and a frappucino in the other, put on a pair of booty shorts, and be photo shoot ready.

If you are not a fitness model or an athlete - especially if you're overweight or obese - fitness models and athletes work harder on their bodies than you work on yours. Guaranteed. One hundred percent guaranteed, no exceptions. They monitor their nutrition more precisely than you do. They work out harder, longer, and with more purpose than you do. They monitor their weight and body fat more closely than you do. They devote more time, energy, thought, and care to what their bodies look like than you do.

You know how I know that? Because if you put the kind of time and effort into your nutrition and fitness that they do you'd look like them, instead of being on the internet complaining that they make you feel inadequate and you don't want to look at them.

I realize that sounds harsh, but come on. Choose whether or not you want to put in that kind of work. If you don't, fine, bully for you, but don't get mad at other women for being willing to put in the work to get the kind of body you don't want to work for.
  • BestWishesForYou
    BestWishesForYou Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Larissa and Jenny, my original post said: "I'm pretty sure none of the models featured ever used MFP or faced the struggles that we are trying to overcome."

In my mind, I was saying that these models face DIFFERENT struggles than such MFP users as myself. I went back to copy-and-paste proof of that for you. I discovered that this is not at all what I expressed in the post. It came across as if I were saying that these models did not face ANY struggles. That is not at all true and certainly not what I meant to convey. My sincerest apologies for that.

I was also myopic as to what constitutes a "typical" MFP user. Now I know better.

As I said, these photos are certainly appropriate for advanced fitness articles, as they are advanced fitness models. My complaint was that only advanced athletes seem to be depicted with ANY article, even the ones that are geared to beginners in their journey to a healthy lifestyle. Those photos don't match those articles, and it made me think that MFP doesn't consider any other body type acceptable even for a photograph.

After reading the input of many other users, I agree with the suggestion that editorial board is using stock photos without necessarily trying to match a photo to the piece or advance any sort of body image agenda.

Again, I apologize for omitting the qualifiers that athletes do struggle – – of course they do! – – but the struggles are of a different nature. No less difficult, just different.

• BestWishesForYou
    BestWishesForYou Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I do want to clarify that my objection is not to the depiction of a healthy body. I have explained that throughout the thread but it has been consistently overlooked. I do want to be inspired. I would like to see healthy – – meaning "fit" – – women and men of all ages and body types. Apparently whatever stock photo company FMP uses only has fit models of a certain size and age (and race, for the most part).

That leaves out such women as the author of this blog / training concept:

https://bodypositiveathletes.wordpress.com/body-positive-fitness-trainer-and-facility-directory/

Give her mission statement a good read. She says what I don't have the ability to convey. It wouldn't hurt MFP's blog editor to take a look as well.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Arbeej wrote: »
    Take a look at the plug from February 15, 2016. It's a great article. And the opening paragraph clearly shows that the target is someone like me: it mentions grandchildren and the joy of fitting into an old dress. Take a look at the featured photograph. She's a very young, highly muscled athlete stretching before a run.

A featured photo is what draws us into an article. It's supposed to reflect how an article applies to us, why we should read it. The featured photo is an invitation. These photos suggest I'm not worthy of being invited.

I agree that this picture doesn't fit the article:

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/9-signs-progress-arent-number-scale/

9SignsofProgressThatAren%E2%80%99taNumberontheScale-960x640.jpg

Nor does this: http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/7-tips-to-conquer-a-weight-loss-plateau-with-myfitnesspal/

7-Tips-to-Conquer-a-Weight-Loss-Plateau-with-MFP-960x640.jpg

The picture selectors are probably given guidelines along the lines of "fit young white woman."
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Arbeej wrote: »
    Sunnybeaches105, no need for the snark. I'm sure you understand my point. Fit is what I WANT to see. What's being depicted is, as I said, advanced athletes and ultra-thin models. That's not typical of MFP users, and certainly not motivating for new users such as myself.

And as in the example I listed above, the images often don't even match the motivating articles. Look at some of the articles specifically directed at fitness beginners, and you will see the same type of photos of ADVANCED athletes.

There is a serious disconnect here which the editorial board should consider.

There is nothing that says that a middle-aged person cannot be a well-muscled athlete. That IS who some of us are. My father is 75 and he is still a competitive athlete.

You give the impression that you are content to settle for frump. Maybe you are here because a doctor has told you that you MUST lose weight? Fine--go do your thing, but stop waiting for external validation from images that you see online.
  • WA_mama2
    WA_mama2 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    The average MFP user isn't healthy. That's why we are using this app.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I think you are taking the ads too personally...
    Someone who is a size 2/4 is usually healthy and fit ...
  • kellibee2000
    kellibee2000 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I prefer to see more varied models & pictures, all heights & weights, shapes & sizes, and racial /ethnic diversity. I would buy more & be more loyal to a company who used variety. I think everyone wants to relate & be represented at least sometimes with the imagery they see, even if it is a stretch or ideal.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I want rocking fit bodies only. It's a fitness site. People need goals.
  • kellibee2000
    kellibee2000 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Then give me some Serena Williams among all the Maria Sharapovas. Fit & ripped can come in different packages, including curvy.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Then give me some Serena Williams among all the Maria Sharapovas. Fit & ripped can come in different packages, including curvy.

Fine by me. I've been fortunate to see Serena up close at a match, and she's one hell of an inspiration for anyone who wants some real muscle.
  • sarahfadell87
    sarahfadell87 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Focus on where you come from & where you're going. Your own personal satisfaction shouldn't be impacted by models.. They're models for a fitness app, so i think they should be fit.. Isn't that what we're working towards? I know i'll never be a size 2 and i'm so okay with that. I'll be happy when i make it to a 14.

But that doesn't mean that you're not just as appealing as said size 2. Remember that.

I know i'm gonna be a fly hot *kitten* 14
  • sarahfadell87
    sarahfadell87 Posts: 182 Member
    Options

arditarose wrote: »
    Why is a size 2 or 4 not healthy? Why do you assume everyone using MFP is not fit? Some people use this app to GAIN weight. Some are very fit and use it to track calories/macros and stay on track.

Some people are motivated by fit models. Some are not. There's nothing wrong with it either way. But if seeing a normal sized woman in an ad makes you feel so depressed...I don't know. I'm sorry, I don't understand.

I agree with the first part of your statment, but ACTUALLY, a "normal sized woman" is a 12-14. No where near a 2 or 4.. BUT, nothing wrong with a 2 or 4 either.

Everybody's different.
  • RWClary
    RWClary Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Instead of feeling depressed, be inspired to just be your best at any age.
    My progress on MFP does reflect peak fitness and optional health, and I am in my 50's...
    h5at15h0z84v.jpg
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    You don't have to read the articles. I haven't noticed them. I'm on MFP logging my exercise and food.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Why is a size 2 or 4 not healthy? Why do you assume everyone using MFP is not fit? Some people use this app to GAIN weight. Some are very fit and use it to track calories/macros and stay on track.

Some people are motivated by fit models. Some are not. There's nothing wrong with it either way. But if seeing a normal sized woman in an ad makes you feel so depressed...I don't know. I'm sorry, I don't understand.

I agree with the first part of your statment, but ACTUALLY, a "normal sized woman" is a 12-14. No where near a 2 or 4.. BUT, nothing wrong with a 2 or 4 either.

Everybody's different.

By "normal", did you mean to type "average"?
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,147 Member
    Options

Everybody's different.

OMG I am not normal!!! And being a 72 years old fit (not really ripped yet but working on it) grandma, I must be a special snow flake. But thank you anyway for saying that "nothing is wrong" with my size, in what it seems to be a very condescending way :s

Running to tell my husband that he has an abnormal size woman for a wife...
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,147 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Here's my real life article with real life pics of a 60 yo woman who will never be a size 2 or 4. :)
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10347057/my-success-story-made-the-front-page-of-the-newspaper/p1

Awesome!!!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options

Exactly...there is nothing to say that 2 or 4 might not be a healthy size for some people. Lots of women have small frame sizes. I don't--I'll probably never get below an 8 because I am an Amazon, but so what? I am doing me. Other people are in charge of their own bodies.