Made my own butter, but ended up with 1/2 cream-1/2 butter- Calories?

Options
Christine_72
Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
So I decided to make my own butter, but for whatever reason and after 30 minutes of standing there whipping it with a hand mixer, it did not turn out.

So now I am left with a mix of not cream, but not butter either. It tastes like half and half. Now I know the calorie difference between 30g of butter and 30g of cream is pretty significant, so I am rather perplexed in how to log this... Maybe I should just throw it away, and not bother trying to estimate the calories!

I'll post a pic, It is hard like butter

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    The hard part is butter, the rest is cream. I would use it separately.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    The whole thing is solid like butter, it tastes amazing!

• queenliz99
    Options
    Use it, I bet it is amazing.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    It looks like whipped cream in this pic, but truly does taste like a cross of butter and cream... I might just toss it lol
  • queenliz99
    Options
    Don't toss it. Use in coffee, I know you are low carb. I bet it would be really good.
  • chastity0921
    chastity0921 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Mmm... Bring it to me.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Don't toss it. Use in coffee, I know you are low carb. I bet it would be really good.

That was my plan, and share it with the cat. I think I'll log it as butter to be on the safe side..

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Can't you log the ingredients you used to make it as a recipe?
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    That is clotted cream. Which is amazingly good stuff and there are entries for it in the database. Enjoy!

Edit to add: I am not sure how you did that with a hand mixer. Happy accident.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

That was my plan, and share it with the cat. I think I'll log it as butter to be on the safe side..

It sounds like a treat
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Can't you log the ingredients you used to make it as a recipe?

That's what I was trying to figure out.

You know everything that went in. It didn't separate. Weigh it and divide.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I don't know why but that looks so appetizing to me lol. *checks diary to see if low on fat today*
  • Christine_72
    Options
    The only ingredient is cream and a tiny pinch of salt. But when you turn cream into butter the calories sky rocket.. I'm sure there's a scientific explanation such as cream has more water, so less calories maybe..
    That is clotted cream. Which is amazingly good stuff and there are entries for it in the database. Enjoy!

Awesome, thankyou. It really does taste amazing

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    The only ingredient is cream and a tiny pinch of salt. But when you turn cream into butter the calories sky rocket.. I'm sure there's a scientific explanation such as cream has more water, so less calories maybe..

Per volume it would be higher calories, because the water evaporates, so weigh the finished product and use the number of grams as the number of servings, and as you use it enter number of grams as number of calories consumed. Whipping it doesn't magically increase number of calories, just the caloric density.

Does that make sense?
  • farmerpam1
    farmerpam1 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    You must be a very patient person to use a hand mixer. I used to use a stand mixer and thought that took too long, so I bought a butter churn. And that can be a pain because there's more parts to wash. Enjoy your creation!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I just want to slather it all over some fresh bread right now
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Apparently, you can also make it in the oven.

I'd consider making it one day, but it apparently only lasts for a few days in the fridge.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Per volume it would be higher calories, because the water evaporates, so weigh the finished product and use the number of grams as the number of servings, and as you use it enter number of grams as number of calories consumed. Whipping it doesn't magically increase number of calories, just the caloric density.

Does that make sense?

Yes it does, thanks :smile: I just added clotted cream into my diary, but will do your (much more accurate) way later and see how it compares
  • Christine_72
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I just want to slather it all over some fresh bread right now

I'm refraining from eating it straight out of the bowl. It is a delicious mistake :tongue: