Made my own butter, but ended up with 1/2 cream-1/2 butter- Calories?

Options

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I just want to slather it all over some fresh bread right now

I'm refraining from eating it straight out of the bowl. It is a delicious mistake :tongue:

lol I never eat butter so I'm just...in awe, and craving it now.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

I'm refraining from eating it straight out of the bowl. It is a delicious mistake :tongue:

It looks amazing! Would be great on homemade bread!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Top it with homemade preserves. Heaven
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Top it with homemade preserves. Heaven

Yes! OMG! I may have to do some baking in the near future :smiley:
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    OOOhhh you're all giving me some great ideas!
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    My favorite is to make dough for buns, and then wrap it around cheese and garlic sausage to make stuffed buns :droolingsmiley:
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    The only ingredient is cream and a tiny pinch of salt. But when you turn cream into butter the calories sky rocket.. I'm sure there's a scientific explanation such as cream has more water, so less calories maybe..
    That is clotted cream. Which is amazingly good stuff and there are entries for it in the database. Enjoy!

Awesome, thankyou. It really does taste amazing

Per volume it would be higher calories, because the water evaporates, so weigh the finished product and use the number of grams as the number of servings, and as you use it enter number of grams as number of calories consumed. Whipping it doesn't magically increase number of calories, just the caloric density.

Does that make sense?

Whipping doesn't even increase caloric density based on weight, and could actually decrease caloric density based on volume. Whipping normally adds air, increasing the volume of the material. No meaningful evaporation would occur during 30 minutes of whipping with a mixer. OP didn't make butter -- when you make butter, you have liquid (buttermilk) leftover, and she said all of the cream turned solid (clotted cream).

OP, you should just be able to weigh this stuff and log it as whatever as whatever kind of cream you started with.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    The only ingredient is cream and a tiny pinch of salt. But when you turn cream into butter the calories sky rocket.. I'm sure there's a scientific explanation such as cream has more water, so less calories maybe..
    That is clotted cream. Which is amazingly good stuff and there are entries for it in the database. Enjoy!

Per volume it would be higher calories, because the water evaporates, so weigh the finished product and use the number of grams as the number of servings, and as you use it enter number of grams as number of calories consumed. Whipping it doesn't magically increase number of calories, just the caloric density.

Does that make sense?

Whipping doesn't even increase caloric density based on weight, and could actually decrease caloric density based on volume. Whipping normally adds air, increasing the volume of the material. No meaningful evaporation would occur during 30 minutes of whipping with a mixer. OP didn't make butter -- when you make butter, you have liquid (buttermilk) leftover, and she said all of the cream turned solid (clotted cream).

OP, you should just be able to weigh this stuff and log it as whatever as whatever kind of cream you started with.

No worries, The clotted cream has over double the calories as my normal cream.

• nutmegoreo
    Options

Does that make sense?

I was taking a guess based off the statement that the calories increased.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options

Does that make sense?

I was taking a guess based off the statement that the calories increased.

Oh, OK. I guess you were talking about real butter (although it's not actually evaporation--it's a separation of some of the solids in the milk from the liquid), and I was thinking more about what the OP actually did. Sorry for the confusion
  • PearBlossom9
    PearBlossom9 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I've made it in a food processor and this is what it looks like right before it separates. It tends to take 10-15 minutes in a food processor so 30 minutes by hand is probably not enough.

The liquid that releases is buttermilk. Butter is fat. Buttermilk has minimal fat in it. So essentially you are condensing the calories.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Oh boy... The confusion is real

If I'm a few hundred calories over this week, such is life :smile:
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    My dad always chilled the bowl and the beater in the freezer before making butter. I think the cold helps it separate.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    My dad always chilled the bowl and the beater in the freezer before making butter. I think the cold helps it separate.

Yeah, that was my first thought. It's been 40 (104F) here nearly all week. Last time I made it I only had to whip it for 15ish minutes.

Aaargh I'm over it now, I'm gonna eat it and enjoy it :blush:
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options

Yeah, that was my first thought. It's been 40 (104F) here nearly all week. Last time I made it I only had to whip it for 15ish minutes.

Aaargh I'm over it now, I'm gonna eat it and enjoy it :blush:

Sounds like a plan. :)
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    clotted cream is my favorite to put on a fresh baguette and some salt. yummmm.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »

... And some smoked salmon too :smiley:
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »

... And some smoked salmon too :smiley:

yes! oh man i have some heavy cream smoked salmon and a baguette.. i hope my cream doesnt turn into butter haha!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    So I decided to make my own butter, but for whatever reason and after 30 minutes of standing there whipping it with a hand mixer, it did not turn out.

So now I am left with a mix of not cream, but not butter either. It tastes like half and half. Now I know the calorie difference between 30g of butter and 30g of cream is pretty significant, so I am rather perplexed in how to log this... Maybe I should just throw it away, and not bother trying to estimate the calories!

you didn't change the calories by whipping it, if you started with 100 grams of cream you still have the calories of 100g of cream
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

Did you throw away liquid? Did any separation happen? Did you heat the whole thing so part of water evaporated? if not, you have exactly the same calories as when you started.