Any other special needs parents here?

Options
tgcmomof3
tgcmomof3 Posts: 35 Member
edited March 2016 in Chit-Chat
Hi all. Just kind of wondering if there is some of you that are also special needs parents? I have a child with autism and though he keeps me on my feet. I find that stress of always worrying about him can get me down. Any others who can relate?

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I don't have a special needs child but still wanted to bump your thread to make it more visible.
  • tgcmomof3
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Hi there. I don't have a special needs child but still wanted to bump your thread to make it more visible.

Thank you
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    Bump
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,368 Member
    Options
    My son has ADHD and anxiety from this and also might be low on the spectrum. So not super big special needs but still he has his own special qualities that most other kids don't have.

and yes whenever the "a" word is spoken or he's particularly anxious about something I worry about his future.
  • lisa9805
    lisa9805 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    My youngest has anxiety. however i work with highschool kids that have special needs so here to chat anytime
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    My son has autism and learning delay. Life is very stressful. School is not working very well at moment and I'm finding bit very hard. Exercise is a stress reliever for me although some times it all gets overwhelming, like Friday when each sandbell slam was thrown with something I hate about autism. I ended up in tears, fortunately there are some very lovely people in my gym.
  • synchkat
    Options
    School is interesting with special kids. I get nervous every lunch and after school pick up thinking what will the teacher come out to tell me today. I get excited when I see her go over to other parents. Luckily we have the most amazing teacher this year whose son has some issues. It's great when you find the right teacher but I worry for the next few years although I trust she will make sure he gets someone as caring next year.
  • kdtesoriero
    kdtesoriero Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Yes! I have two boys. My oldest has dyspraxia and my younger son has Auditory processing disorder! The stress is real and makes me emotionally eat!
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    My son has Asperger's, ADHD, & sensory integration dysfunction with obsessive compulsive tendencies. It is stressful. It took years of going to doctors & therapists to get him properly diagnosed.

We moved to our house specifically to get our kids into the schools he is in now & he is doing very well. He's in middle school now & the special ed teacher he has is the one who worked with him from kindergarten until 3rd grade until she moved away. She's back in the area now & I'm very happy, although the teacher he had last year was really great as well.

I do worry for his future, the transition to high school in the short term. How will he function out in the real world in the long term. For all of the "autism awareness" that seems to be around, I've found it really difficult to find practical solutions for day to day problems--how to help him identify when his anger or frustration are getting out of control & steps he can take to help calm down without injuring himself, how to identify when his anxiety may be out of proportion & how to lesson that feeling. It's stressful to spend so much time in therapy when nothing ever seems to change. At least he likes his current therapist, so that's a plus. So, I don't know. I just do what I do & we keep moving forward & things really are much better than they were when he was little, so that gives me a lot of hope.
  • kcpond
    kcpond Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I have two boys. Both have special needs. Our oldest has attachment disorder and our youngest has been diagnosed with Nerological Disorder Alcohol Related which is part of FASD. I do know how you feel. Looking after both of these kids can be a real challenge at home and at school.
  • nitroalley
    nitroalley Posts: 3,599 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    My daughter tested off the charts for intelligence. But her grades were understated and we we're constantly battling her over everything. (Smart strong willed independent from the time as a toddler). Then she was diagnosed ADD and was given medication - she has soared. She tells us that she now can concentrate so much better. She went from being middle of the pack at a top prep school to top grades her senior year. She is now a college freshman and taking a rigorous dual major program and thriving as we prayed she would. We only regret we didn't help her more earlier in her life.
  • tgcmomof3
    Options
    Hi all!! Some good supporting people! We all have different stuggles. Nice to hear from you all.
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    Op - I'm glad you found some other parents to chat with ! I was determined to get your thread bumped and visible !
  • tgcmomof3
    Options
    :)
  • Angela937
    Angela937 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    My 11 yr old boy has autism and spd (sensory processing disorder.)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Angela937 wrote: »
    My 11 yr old boy has autism and spd (sensory processing disorder.)

My nephew has sensory craving SPD and my sister and I have some auditory over-responsivity SPD. What are you doing for your son? My sister found The Out-of-Sync Child helpful.
  • cheer4beer
    cheer4beer Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have a 15 year old on the spectrum. I don't believe in labels but most would put him in the "classic" category with very limited speech, rigid habitual behavior, and high anxiety. Some days are good, some not so much. Feel free to add me - I'm kind of new to the whole community thing.
  • melmelw03
    melmelw03 Posts: 5,332 Member
    Options
    My 12 yr old daughter has asperger's. She is higher functioning now than when she was younger. Displayed delay of speech and more classic autism symptoms when she was younger until about age 5 or 6. Now completely verbal and high functioning, but has sensory and social issues, however the social aspect has significantly improved the last year or so.
    She's pretty effing awesome.
  • synchkat
    Options
    My boy is going to be tested to see if he fits on the autism spectrum. His adhd seems to be under control but apparently he can get some more services from the school of he's diagnosed further. We shall see. He's a super bright, engaging, fun and funny kid so whatever he's diagnosed with we'll work around since he's so awesome.
  • ElizabethAN2017
    ElizabethAN2017 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    My son is on the autism spectrum. If you would like to add me, please send a FR. Take care :). Elizabeth Maryam