What's YOUR biggest obstacle to eating healthy?

Options

Replies

• stephanielosey
    stephanielosey Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Portion control and being picky! I like very few fruits and veggies so I have slim pickings on healthy snacks and recipies!
  • berbujas2001
    berbujas2001 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Portion control is a big one (pardon the pun lol). Also, I'm not a great cook, so I tend to cook the same few things over and over and so I get bored....and I eat all the pre made stuff instead of homemade.
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    KDar1988 wrote: »
    Poor meal planning. I plan dinners for the week but my lunches are on the fly usually. I can do better, it's finding time. I don't take time to prepare vegetables etc like I should.

Just a couple of ideas that work for me and are super quick. Plan your dinner to cook an extra portion or two, then box it up for lunches - lean protein + veg or whatever you eat. Or, get a bag of pre-cut broccoli & cauliflower or a frozen vegetable you like, microwave a portion and top it with a serving of something you like (amy's vegan chili does it for me) -- of course this assumes access to a microwave at lunchtime.

I go out the door with a really motley assortment of stuff sometimes - I was hoping nobody saw my lunch yesterday! - but it's cheap and healthy :)
  • brightresolve
    Options
    Wine - every night. Any pointers welcome.

Weigh in people, what works? I have friends that plan in the cals on Saturday or special occasions and limit alcohol consumption to then, and it seems to work for them ... (oh, and I LOVE your profile pic)
  • brightresolve
    Options
    sometimes stressful days either make me eat unhealthy or do not eat enough.. wonder how many other people have this issue

Moderate stress, I eat unhealthy. Extreme horrible wrenching life-altering stress, I stop eating.
  • ashleyjongepier
    ashleyjongepier Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Taste - all of my meals until I left home were eaten with my mother who is notoriously fussy. I was not exposed to much food, and her negative feelings towards vegetables, ethnic foods, etc. were passed on to me habitually. I grew up eating meat and potatoes or spaghetti, almost exclusively rotating between the two, and then fast food/take out whenever possible. In adulthood I now gag at the taste/texture of many foods, and it has been a struggle to overcome. I have made slow, steady progress, but it is frustrating to feel like a fussy eater who doesn't want to be!

my mom was and is the same way,it took me years to learn to like different food. All my sisters still eat the same way she does as well. In fact I'm visiting her for a few days and she will talk endlessly about all my gross "diet" food (whole grains, lean meat, Greek yogurt haha.)
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Bread trips me up. Gives me cravings for more simple carbs, which leads to simple carbs and high fat ingredients combined. I do much better without pizza and subs.
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Burgers. Delicious juicy burgers ;)
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I thought there was one more thing, but for me it's mainly laziness and boredom.
  • AriesGal329
    AriesGal329 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I actually do eat pretty healthy. Lots of fruit and veggies, little meat and never fast food. My downfall is wine. I use too many calories on having 2-3 glasses of wine each evening.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Wine - every night. Any pointers welcome.

Weigh in people, what works? I have friends that plan in the cals on Saturday or special occasions and limit alcohol consumption to then, and it seems to work for them ... (oh, and I LOVE your profile pic)

I do a third of a cup of wine and dilute it with diet dew. But that's because I prefer it sweeter, and of course this results in fewer calories. Needless to say, violating wine in this manner is sacrilege, not to mention, such a small quantity of 13% ABV may not be enough to get most people buzzed, so I tend to keep this to myself :D
  • hjuh22
    hjuh22 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm sure everyone has special occasions lol bdays weddings parties. It's hard to stick to your diet when everyone else around is saying mmmmm the spring rolls are delicous. Sometimes my special occasions include the weekends
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Busy schedules, other people and feeling socially obligated. Not saying they can't be worked around, just identifying the obstacles.
  • BoomstickChik
    BoomstickChik Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Tom. I need at least 2 Reeses a month. It doesn't really trip me up, but when on a 1200 calorie a day diet, it can be tough to fit in those 210 calories lol. I'm the type that doesn't get caught up on eating healthy all the time because that's when it gets extremely difficult. If I want something like this, I make sure it fits into my day, with the exception of the occasional splurge day maybe once a month to two months.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    My personal obstacle is a large number of food allergies. I have to read every ingredient on every label that isn't a meat or vegetable or plain rice so that I don't accidentally eat an allergen.

For you daily wine drinkers, I have a friend who counts #soberdays and rewards herself in some way for them. Her current goal is to not to drink until her vacation in May.
    I have another friend who stopped smoking by putting the cost of his daily pack of cigarettes in a jar. At the end of three months or so, he bought himself a motorcycle.
    Not sure those would work for you, but worth a try.
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Working too many hours, and not wanting to think about food during it. Just "pushing through," and then coming home in the evening ravenous enough to eat the whole world and go to sleep. I eat pretty healthy food, but I eat too much of it. And it's hard to limit portions when you're crazed hungry and stressed.
  • rsleighty
    rsleighty Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I take it back. Fatigue is my second biggest obstacle to weight loss. The greatest is cooking for two human garbage disposals, otherwise known as teenage boys. How about making a 3 egg omelette stuffed with ham and cheese while I am "enjoying" my lovely bowl of 7grain hot cereal....LOL! Good Lord, I don't know where they put it!!!!
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    Options
    Stress eating has been something I've been dealing with lately cause stress drinking isn't an option and

I overeat at dinner time
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    Options
    Also when I make dinner sometimes dinner calories are upwards of 700-900 calories which makes lunch hard
  • jademaid
    jademaid Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My biggest obstacle is people at work bringing in snacks and offering them to me. I feel bad saying no.