How do people run so much

Options
124»

Replies

• Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    I'm glad no one ever told me about the 'toxic 10' nonsense. I may have believed them....

Before you start your run have a plan. Know what it is you want to accomplish and do it. If you have a longer run planned, start slow and stay slow. If it is shorter, don't worry so much about pace and just enjoy it.

I thought everyone knew the first mile never counts.

What is with this saying? Can someone explain the logic to me? I keep hearing runners say it.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I'm glad no one ever told me about the 'toxic 10' nonsense. I may have believed them....

Before you start your run have a plan. Know what it is you want to accomplish and do it. If you have a longer run planned, start slow and stay slow. If it is shorter, don't worry so much about pace and just enjoy it.

What is with this saying? Can someone explain the logic to me? I keep hearing runners say it.

It usually takes some distance for the kinks to work themselves out and for you to settle into a steady cadence and consistent stride - usually due to soreness, general tiredness, needing to get your mind in the game and off of daily life, etc.
  • hangee123
    hangee123 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I started running with C25K in August. I was BMI 35.5 so v. obese. I could hardly run 30 seconds without stopping. The NHS C25K program says it should take 9 weeks, but because I had a lot to lose, I decided to take my time with it and repeat a few weeks... several times. So, instead of 9 weeks it took maybe about 4 months. But I finished, and am now well on my way to finishing the 10K!

Definitely advise you try the C25K if you want to get into running! Keeps you motivated! I've now lost 53lbs and can run 8K in 45 mins (I get bored before I get tired).
  • filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    Options

The first mile always seems to be the slowest, that is until fatigue sets in at the end of a longer run. It's not that it doesn't count, but rather throws off your overall pace a bit. When I run, I just consider the first mile my warm-up, even taking it slow on purpose.

For race days, the best thing you can do is do very light jogging for ~5 mins, timing it to end 2-3 mins before race start. The jogging will not affect race times if you do it slow enough, but it will warm-up your system so you can get right into a good cadence.