Weird habit I've developed in maintainence - anyone else do it?

Options
.... I stockpile junk food.

Mostly candy and cookies, but also things like Doritos, fried chicken, etc. Re. the candy, I have a spot on top of my refrigerator and it currently has three gourmet chocolate bars of different provenances, a basket of valentines candies of various kinds I just cant part with, a package of Oreos, two boxes of Girl Scout Cookies, various bags of jelly beans, and three multipacks of Reeses Peanut Butter Cups stacked on top of one another.

I do eat them, but very slowly and very occasionally. I mostly just like to look at it, and then NOT eat it. Is that weird? Does anyone else do this?

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    No, I actually eat my stockpile. But slowly, yes.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    lol, I totally keep a stock pile of bite sized pieces of candy in my drawer at work because if I don't indulge when I get the urge then I'll binge later! But when my co-workers find it, it ends up empty before I open it next.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I buy a lot when there are sales or we hit Bulk Barn. Sweets and chips last longer now that I portion them out.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I get nervous if there isn't chocolate in the house.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I'm not in maintenance, but I totally do that. To the point that it's a little absurd, and some of it is totally unnecessary. Like, I need to clean out my junk food stores to get rid of things we're never going to eat.
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Haha i do this too. I just thought I was a hoarder!
  • BeastForm
    BeastForm Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I think this is good. You have power over the junk food. It can't tempt you and you consume it on your own terms.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Dang, and here I thought I was the only one, LOL. Good to know there are others.
    I have two bags of Dove dark chocolate with caramel and sea salt in the kitchen drawer, unopened. I do allow myself one piece per day. I also bought a bag of Dove white chocolate eggs that are in the candy dish.
    vivmom2014 wrote: »

I am the same way. If I don't have it in the house I get nervous.

I do this with books too. If I don't have anything to read, it makes me nervous, so I have multiple books waiting to be read.

• 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    For some reason I have developed a love for gummy bears that I have never had in my life. I used to love Twizzlers but abandoned them as they didn't fit my diet anymore. I've had 125 individual gummies for the day already. Yes, I did count them.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I do that. I buy a bag of treats, but now that I only eat "normal" portions of them I get tired of them and buy new treats before I've finished the first. Every few weeks I have to purge the treat tin and donate to my kid's snack box.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    It's not so weird. The place I work keeps a candy bowl stocked with sugary treats near the front door and I have to walk by it several times a day. Once each day I reach in and select one small candy, which is then accounted for on my food log. Today it was, just 3 minutes ago, a Snickers Mini at 45 calories.
  • vivmom2014
    Options
    Dang, and here I thought I was the only one, LOL. Good to know there are others.
    I have two bags of Dove dark chocolate with caramel and sea salt in the kitchen drawer, unopened. I do allow myself one piece per day. I also bought a bag of Dove white chocolate eggs that are in the candy dish.
    vivmom2014 wrote: »

I am the same way. If I don't have it in the house I get nervous.

I do this with books too. If I don't have anything to read, it makes me nervous, so I have multiple books waiting to be read.

Public library ftw! LOVE having a new stack of books in the house.

• emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Nope, I do it too. I went out day after Valentine's Day and bought up all the expensive chocolate 75% off. I'll do the same at Easter. :)
  • vivmom2014
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    Nope, I do it too. I went out day after Valentine's Day and bought up all the expensive chocolate 75% off. I'll do the same at Easter. :)

This is an absolute for me too. But I don't discriminate: I'll buy the the non-expensive chocolate (to a point. I can't do "Palmer" brand.) And it's only ever 50% off here.

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I am totally a junk food hoarder.

One has valentines candy in it, a basket of mini "community" M&M's all flavors, and in the kitchen cabinet I have an all but hidden basket of just misc junk food (I just did an inventory and in there are mini bags of potato chips, min candy bars, gourmet chocolate, brownie brittle, candy, nut trail mix) that I pickup here and there. It may sit there for a month without me touching it.

I too just look at it, walk by it, or I may grab a tiny tiny portion and then log it, sigh... :(
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I have two teenage boys and a hubby who is weak about anything sweet. I don't have to worry about stockpiling or hoarding! They eat everything. If there is something special I want just for myself, I hide it within an empty brussel sprouts box in the large deep freeze or I buy a pint of ice cream that I like (like mocha java chip) that they do not like so I don't have to worry about it being gone when I am in the mood for it.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »

That's totally me. I specialize in all the seasonal Reese's Peanut Butter cup variations (trees, pumpkins, eggs, etc). Then I find ways to make them into totally disgusting creations like this: http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2013/07/02/no-bake-reeses-peanut-butter-bars/, I eat a few of them, and then give them away at work :smile:

• vivmom2014
    Options
    rhtexasgal wrote: »
    I have two teenage boys and a hubby who is weak about anything sweet. I don't have to worry about stockpiling or hoarding! They eat everything. If there is something special I want just for myself, I hide it within an empty brussel sprouts box in the large deep freeze or I buy a pint of ice cream that I like (like mocha java chip) that they do not like so I don't have to worry about it being gone when I am in the mood for it.

Great hiding place! My SIL used to hide those dark chocolate sea salt almonds from Trader Joe's in her freezer. It wouldn't work for me, because I'd be too impatient waiting for them to thaw out. :'(

• vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I do the exact same thing. I started maintenance around Valentine's day, so I stocked up on Reece's, Snickers, Twix, and Kit-Kat snack size candy bars when they went on sale. I also bought a snack pack assortment of Oreos, Chips Ahoy, and Nutter Butters. I haven't started on any of those yet. I have a variety of Girl Scout cookies that I have been picking at over the past few weeks, and also some other random junk foods I picked up at the Dollar Store.
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I do this mainly because when I want something my kids have generally already eaten it, so I hide some stuff, and I always forget about it, then I'm really excited when I find it.