Share your Go-to food or technique when you want to eat the whole kitchen...:)

Replies

• djspacecaptain
    djspacecaptain Posts: 366 Member
    I have a dehydrator so I usually just have banana chips If not that gum or Carrots

Oh a dehydrator..I'd love to make some jerky! Are those expensive?

You can make jerky in the oven. Its pretty easy and kinda fun. Google will be your friend on how.
  • Buildingit3157
    Buildingit3157 Posts: 145 Member
    I have a dehydrator so I usually just have banana chips If not that gum or Carrots

You can make jerky in the oven. Its pretty easy and kinda fun. Google will be your friend on how.

I'm going to check that out. I do have so many kitchen gadgets already.
  • Michaelg235
    Michaelg235 Posts: 1,093 Member

but the only problem is that's a waste of Energy
    come on bro think green ;)
  • Buildingit3157

Ah that's true too..
  • djspacecaptain
    My favorite go to snacks are usually something that will fill me up or very low in calories.

baby carrots
    Pickles
    Sunflower seeds
    Rice cakes
    Gum
    Super sour candy
    Jolly ranchers
    and mints to name a few of my go-to's
  • djspacecaptain

Haha think of all the great tasting protein tho!
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    raindawg wrote: »
    I've been doing this long enough to recognize when the temptation devil is about to win and I'm going to do something stupid. In those cases I grab a low fat yogurt 170 calories, or a mini bagel 100 calories. Those seem to hold me over long enough to come back to my senses.

Great choices! I might start making chocolate almond milk chia seed pudding again...I remember it being delicious and full of protein...tastes like pudding! I have to trick myself

Curious, how much protein? Almond milk has very little and you would have to use a whole lot of chia seeds to get significant protein.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member

Great choices! I might start making chocolate almond milk chia seed pudding again...I remember it being delicious and full of protein...tastes like pudding! I have to trick myself [/quote]

Curious, how much protein? Almond milk has very little and you would have to use a whole lot of chia seeds to get significant protein.[/quote]

Silk - Unsweetened Soy Milk, 1 cup 80 cals, 3 carbs, 4 fat, 7 protein, 2 fiber, 1sugar
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,986 Member
    Protein snacks (individual serving cheeses (especially Supremo Queso Fresco), crispy chickpeas, Sharwood's puppodums, dry-roasted soybeans). High-volume/low-cal foods, like sauerkraut or raw veggies (cucumber & jicama are particular favorites for me). Cottage cheese with cumin, turmeric, and smoked hot sauce (or hot sauce plus smoked paprika).

Alternatives to food: Exercise, even just a short walk; a hobby that keeps one's hands and mind busy (one that requires clean hands is especially useful) - I do various crafts, or practice the banjo.
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Cinnamon gum. Or a gourmet and really good hard candy. Satisfying. I only want one or two. I would have no control if it were chocolate kisses. I would want to eat half of the bag.
  • LuckyAndi
    LuckyAndi Posts: 203 Member
    I'll grab some jerky or cheese (love the Laughing Cow wedges), maybe a square of chocolate (Moonstruck dark chocolate with sea salt and hazelnut is divine).
  • SusanUW83
    SusanUW83 Posts: 152 Member
    low carb toast with a little reduced cal preserves
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    I'm badly PMS-y today, so yes, the entire kitchen is danger. My go-to is lots of hot green tea (green tea is a natural appetite suppressant and the hot liquid makes you feel full) and popcorn, because it's light and crunchy and satisfies 'mouth feel'.

yea, i do this too. hot green tea + a bag (or two) of baby carrots.
    For some reason, the crunching and light sweetness of the baby carrots seems to help curb the cravings (vs. eating something sweeter). It's still a few hundred calories if I eat enough carrots, but at least that's better than a few thousand.
  • Riff1970
    Riff1970 Posts: 136 Member
    momo_t90 wrote: »
    What if you've got a serious sweet tooth? Right now I want chocolate chip cookies so bad, I could hop into my car and go to the grocery store and it's 10:40pm. It's like nothing else will do. I need chocolate!

If you have a little self control, try the assorted bag of Hershey's miniatures. That's what I do. I can get 2 and stop. That's about 80 calories.

If you think you might eat the whole bag, DONT DO IT! Lol!
  • Buildingit3157
    2BeHappy2 wrote: »

Great choices! I might start making chocolate almond milk chia seed pudding again...I remember it being delicious and full of protein...tastes like pudding! I have to trick myself

Curious, how much protein? Almond milk has very little and you would have to use a whole lot of chia seeds to get significant protein.[/quote]

Silk - Unsweetened Soy Milk, 1 cup 80 cals, 3 carbs, 4 fat, 7 protein, 2 fiber, 1sugar[/quote]

Use the chocolate light silk and look up chia seeds, full of protein and they gel after awhile in the fridge so it's very filling! And satisfying.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Ah, soy milk. That makes a lot more sense.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    Warm liquid of some kind. Hot chocolate usually.

Ditto, though I pick tea.

If that doesn't work, then Cream of Wheat with cocoa powder and sweetener (kind of a hot chocolate porridge-y thing). Works with Oat Bran, too.

After those, I'm sunk and I'll just get what I want.
  • Buildingit3157
    edited March 2016
    stealthq wrote: »
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    Warm liquid of some kind. Hot chocolate usually.

Ditto, though I pick tea.

If that doesn't work, then Cream of Wheat with cocoa powder and sweetener (kind of a hot chocolate porridge-y thing). Works with Oat Bran, too.

After those, I'm sunk and I'll just get what I want.

Great ideas too :)
  • Buildingit3157
    Ah, soy milk. That makes a lot more sense.

Chocolate Almond milk...:) well whatever you want. I don't do anything soy personally.
  • keepmovin16
    keepmovin16 Posts: 11 Member
    The absolute no calorie and actually good for me, my technique to fight those hunger bouts, just drink a couple of glasses of water.Kind of tricking your stomach that it has food or fullness, works for me.Otherwise I would eat a piece of raw vege or fruit.
  • chriskalen
    chriskalen Posts: 7 Member
    What if you've got a serious sweet tooth? Right now I want chocolate chip cookies so bad, I could hop into my car and go to the grocery store and it's 10:40pm. It's like nothing else will do. I need chocolate!

When I need chocolate RIGHTNOW I combine lowfat vanilla yogurt with a squirt of sugar free chocolate syrup swirled in. Yum!
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    I just think about how I good I look now that I lost all the weight and why do I want to ruin that, especially since I have to look good for my trip to _____ in a few months. I mean X relative/friend hasn't seen me in person at all since I lost the weight and I want to show off.

That's generally enough for me to find something else to do until actual meal time arrives.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Hot tea with a splash of skimmed milk usually does the trick.
  • hellonew2015
    hellonew2015 Posts: 327 Member
    I lost it the other night and ate the entire kitchen but then I got back on track right away the next morning and guess what I lost more weight the next day! just saying :) but next time when you get really hungry grab a glass of water, half of a victory cookie dough protein bar and that is only 100 calories, this always satisfies me and it is high in fiber.
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member

I have a 5lb tub of Whey Gold Standard extreme milk chocolate protein powder. When I get the chocolate cravings I have 1 scoop (120 calories) and that seems take care of the cravings.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    I find something to keep myself busy.

If I'm still hungry after an hour, I'll eat an apple and then get busy again.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    LuckyAndi wrote: »
    I'll grab some jerky or cheese (love the Laughing Cow wedges), maybe a square of chocolate (Moonstruck dark chocolate with sea salt and hazelnut is divine).

I've tried those. I couldn't get over the gelatinous consistency and the price. Real cheese is sooo much nicer.
  • Buildingit3157
    All Awesome ideas, thank you. Im finding ways to substitute more. I'm pretty much checking out my macros more often and making getting them where I want them each day. It's coming along. Sodium and fat are common for me to keep in check Im finding. It's going well :)
  • bethk779
    bethk779 Posts: 13 Member
    Cinnamon gum. Or a gourmet and really good hard candy. Satisfying. I only want one or two. I would have no control if it were chocolate kisses. I would want to eat half of the bag.

Mints... Peppermint, spearmint... Helps control cravings and also works well for nausea. Drink water. Portioned out pistachios are my go to items
  • alp_19
    alp_19 Posts: 54 Member
    My go-to lately has been big raw carrots. There's just something about grabbing a few carrots out of the fridge, washing them, and then munching on them for a while (I don't peel mine, you don't really have to). You get to take big crunchy bites because they're so large. They're also sweet for a vegetable so that helps. And they're healthy so I never feel badly eating them because the alternative would be sweets.