How does anyone actually commit to this?

Options

Replies

• GettinSwoler
    Options
    depression is a great appetite supressant
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing. You're going to commit to something. If you delete your MFP account, stop worrying about what you eat, stop exercising, and throw away your skinny clothes that's committing. Committing to staying fat. We often delude ourselves and say that we didn't make a choice but choosing to do nothing (or to do the wrong thing) is a choice just like counting calories and running 20 miles a week is a choice.

Make a conscience decision about what you want to commit to.

This says it .
  • sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Just keep pushing, once you see the results even if it's very small you will be stuck you will have bad days but you won't give up a huge tip I can give is take pictures and take measurements you won't regret it!!!!!!!!!!
  • sms670
    sms670 Posts: 4
    Options
    I didn't really start out by committing to the whole thing. I started out committing to tiny positive changes. The only thing I committed to at first was to log everything I ate, not actually reduce it. Just doing that is a learning experience that for me lead to more commitments... drink more water, walk every day, eat at or near my calorie goal, and it has slowly built into a lifestyle change.

This is exactly what I did. I started logging EVERYTHING for a month, then gradually reduced net calories via lifestyle changes. At almost a year in, I've been able to RUN a 5k, before this I've never been able to run ever (I literally failed gym in high school twice). Even though I'm not to my goal weight I feel so much better all the time, all my old clothes are way too big, and I can't imagine eating like I had been for 24 years. It was a gradual process, and I'm still working on it, but it's worth it.
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're not actually ready for it. Try again later in life.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I had a friend on here tell me in the beginning when I was wavering like you are about my commitment that she didn't think I was ready. Boy did I want to prove her wrong. Got myself together quickly and now I have been maintaining a 50 pound loss for over a year. I still have a few pounds to go, but I had some snags in the last year or so that caused me to take a long break from exercise. If I can stick to this, you can too.
  • rbccg1979
    rbccg1979 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I think something has to either happen or a realization comes that makes a person decide they can't live how they have been anymore. I've been going through diets and exercises for years now and I can truely say this is the first time I'm really dedicated to giving it a shot. You just have to hit that point where enough is enough and you are ready to really commit and get the weight off.
  • MamaCatO
    MamaCatO Posts: 100
    Options
    Try taking baby steps. First off, don't think of it as a diet. It's healthier eating, a lifestyle change, anything but a diet. Then change slowly. Start by say, adding more veggies, then decrease the amounts of starchy sides, just as an example. Take a 10 minute walk in the evenings, increase it by 5 minutes every couple of days. When I figured out that I could do this at my own pace, with what feels comfortable to me, I started making all sorts of little changes and my weight just started dropping off. Not saying it will be that easy for you, but don't try doing it all once.

"Nobody trips over mountains. It is the small pebble that causes you to stumble. Pass all the pebbles in your path and you will find you have crossed the mountain."
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    CWOLFMAN that is some darn good advice.
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Start with small steps. For the evening binges, you could make a list of several things you could do instead of eat (brush your teeth, go for a walk, call a friend, put on some music and dance, drink a BIG glass of water, sit down and write out your reasons for wanting to lose weight, etc) Pick one and do it first.
    --Make up "snack attack packs" --basically, cut-up fruits and veggies that you enjoy, to munch on instead. Berries, apples, peaches, pears,or peppers, celery, carrots, cherry tomatoes, and so on. You know what you like.
    --Commit to a 10 minute walk a day for a week. Next week, bump it to 15 or 20 minutes, and so on. You should probably be aiming for a 30 to 40 minute brisk walk at least 5 times a week. .

Ultimately you have to do this for you. These are just some suggestions that will hopefully make it a little easier.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I committed to this for one very good reason: when my mom died I had to decide if I was going to change or if I was going to follow her to the grave. Well, for about 2 years, I chose the latter because it was just "easier" to do then to change.

When my husband and I found out we were having a child, I wised up very quickly. I was once again faced with the decision but this time it wasn't about me. It was about whether or not I wanted for my little boy to have a mommy when he turned 20 or face not having one. Well, I decided my little one needs a healthy momma.

Granted there is you know the clothes and the asthma and blah blah, but for me, I want to be around for my kiddo. I had to start small, but then I started to think "what more can I do?" and started to strive for more. You have to do this for yourself, and having support is great, but in the end you have to say to yourself "what am i working towards?"
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Does your boyfriend eat healthy? I ask because sometimes night time "binges" are due to having food around that you don't want... I have so many friends that want to eat healthy but have a hard time once their significant other wants pizza or fast food. They lost their resolve once the order is made. He should be supporting you. I started out just making sure that I had something else in the fridge to eat - something delicious. Now, I do the same thing, but I do it because I really don't want to eat pizza or fast food. It honestly sounds gross to me - never thought that would happen!

Second thing, in my experience, the night time hungries are from not eating enough at breakfast and sometimes lunch. I would make sure you are getting a good amount of protein in your breakfast, with some fat. Make sure you have enought for lunch as well and a snack 2-3 hours after lunch. This helps me tame the night time beast.

Good luck!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I do think that you have to make a commitment. I've locked onto the idea of not relying on motivation because motivation comes and goes. You make a choice to do what needs to be done so that you can have the life you want.

But I also think there are things you can do to make it easier. For one thing, make sure your calorie goal is reasonable. If you're stuck eating 1200 calories and then trying to burn 300 at the gym then yeah, you're going to be hungry and exhausted and miserable. Don't cut out all the foods you love. At least in the beginning find exercise that you enjoy. Now, that said, as you progress you may find that your "fun" exercise just doesn't give you the results you want, in which case you may need to suck it up and do something you're not crazy about to get the results. Set goals for yourself and have a reward system in place to give incentive.

But if you're doing all those things and still feeling like you just don't want it, then maybe you just don't want it. That's okay too.
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Honestly nobody can help you. If you don't want this bad enough yet all the encouragement and motivation in the world won't make you do it. Sorry you have to do this all by yourself and when you are truly ready the commitment and motivation will come.
    Good luck.

Yea, my thoughts and personal experience as well.
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    For me, this change has felt very natural and easy at times. I let myself binge one month and gave in to my crazy hormones and it let to about 3 months of sporadic recording (at best). Fortunately, I kept working out and only gained about 5 lbs. Those are off now plus 2 more.

I got myself back on track, by committing to recording for one day, then one more, etc. I'm back on track now and losing. I was also inspired by seeing that one of my mfp friends is doing really well and thinking about all the trials she's been through since I've "known" her and how she's never given up. That inspired and encouraged me to get back at it! I have very few friends on here (by choice, though I'm open to new friends), so I know most of their stories. I have a super supportive guy so don't need a ton of friends, but they do help.

Just as I was getting back to recording another friend came back from months of not logging on. It was encouraging to see her return.

You need to find what motivates you. You also need to want it for you. My main motivation is my health. Yes, I want to look better, but mostly I want to be healthy. It's harder for me to stop working out, because I love what I've built and don't want to lose any of that hard work!
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Time goes by so fast, so I look at it as how am I going to feel in 6 months? Am I going to be happy and pat myself on the back for the xxx number of pounds I lost, and how much better I feel. Or am I going to be really depressed and think if you had only stuck to it, you'd be so much further along by now.

It really is just a mindset, that you have to commit to. Don't be discouraged if you have an off day, just get back to it the next day.
  • TRMite
    TRMite Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    maybe fit into those clothes isn't the best goal. It might not be realistic. I've found that I have the hardest time eating toooo much at night when my overall allotment is too low. maybe you need to up your calories and make sure you are eating more throughout the day? It will lead to more success overall. In terms of motivation, an open diary helps. others can give specific feedback that way.
  • TRMite
    TRMite Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Does your boyfriend eat healthy? I ask because sometimes night time "binges" are due to having food around that you don't want... I have so many friends that want to eat healthy but have a hard time once their significant other wants pizza or fast food. They lost their resolve once the order is made. He should be supporting you. I started out just making sure that I had something else in the fridge to eat - something delicious. Now, I do the same thing, but I do it because I really don't want to eat pizza or fast food. It honestly sounds gross to me - never thought that would happen!

Second thing, in my experience, the night time hungries are from not eating enough at breakfast and sometimes lunch. I would make sure you are getting a good amount of protein in your breakfast, with some fat. Make sure you have enought for lunch as well and a snack 2-3 hours after lunch. This helps me tame the night time beast.

Good luck!

this happened to me last night actually. Yes, what others bring around makes a huge difference!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    he probably needed the closet space.

also, this way, you can buy yourself new clothes when you get down to that weight