Frustrated? Carb in , Carb out?

Options

Replies

• BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I might add that it is difficult to get enough dietary fiber while eating as much protein as many seem to think they need today, all the while keeping calories down. 1g of protein = 4 cals 1g of fat = 9 cals so let's do the math:

184LBM * .85 * 4 = 625.6
    184LBM * .35 * 9 = 579.6
    That's 1205.2 calories and I haven't had a single carb....

Somehow, without eating too much I have to now get close to 38g of fiber....225 calories of Rice and Quinoa gets me about 5g of fiber...

Exactly where do I get the rest?
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fiber/NU00033

My advice, for what it's worth, is to learn about complex carbs and dietary fiber and to get plenty of it unless you spend a lot of time weight training or doing a lot of cardio and then only increase the protein cals on those days.

are you suggesting that an adult man should be eating 1200-1500 calories at maintenance?

you can get plenty more fiber eating lentils, black beans, and peas.
  • erikkmcvay
    erikkmcvay Posts: 238 Member
    Options

suit yourself. i was simply alerting you to something you may or may not have known. whether the 0.85g/lb of LBM is necessary or not is still under investigating by scientists. some think it's higher, some think it's lower. 0.85 seems a safe number to me.

you'll notice that i used the terms "most probably" and "FWIW".

Fair enough ;)

For the record (and your info if interested) I started working out in 1982 (before that I wasn't serious) and by spring of 1983 I was 220lbs with a 30inch waist -- and I'm a guy. I wanted to be a body builder and could eat 7500 calories a day!

At times I ate EVERYTHING in sight.

Back then I don't think many, if any, understood that there is only so much energy you can have in reserve and 2 hour heavy lifting sessions weren't the best but we did it and got amazing results.

Later I spent more time and research and tailored my diet more carefully while lifting more weight for less time and achieved much greater strength while maintaining excellent cardio health. At that time I was eating 500+ grams of protein a day. I was a Sgt in the Army (Marines first, Army second) and running 3 days a week, ruck marching 2-3 and working out 5 days a week....wanna guess what my food bill was like?

I left the military and rode a desk and got fat -- which is why I'm here.

So, the point? I have a pretty good idea of what it takes to cut the fat out of the body (doesn't mean I used it much for the last dozen years) and have worked out to the very extremes and as such have learned to use protein to maintain and heal muscle in the real world. Hence big increases in protein on days I really push myself. I also know the signs of too little protein and don't have that issue unless I don't increase my protein on the days I push myself.

However, if a person is not working out in anyway and is only using diet to lose body fat then they won't have the issues many fear with lowered protein levels -- which is why I think MFP sets them so low.
  • erikkmcvay
    Options

are you suggesting that an adult man should be eating 1200-1500 calories at maintenance?

Not at all. For me to maintain without losing weight I'd have to eat 2450 cals a day assuming I did not work out....working out changes that to possibly well beyond 3000-3500
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

cutting carbs is just the latest get-thin-quick deprivation diet fad. unless you have diabetes or something like that, there is nothing wrong with eating carbs. none are good and none are bad. they are just carbs. if certain carbs trigger your appetite, then naturally i think scaling back your intake on those is prudent. for me, breads and pasta just make me hungry again faster. i still eat those, but i try not to eat too many. i also don't consider them bad at all. in fact, i don't even worry about my carb intake. i focus on proteins and fats and then let the rest of the calories be whatever combination of protein/fat/carbs i want them to be that particular day. to this point, i've not paid real close attention to my macros, but i customized my settings (the MFP default settings are silly) and this month i'll be tracking them closely to see how i'm doing with my protein and carbs. i think if you did that too (i.e., focusing on fats and protein, both of which are MINIMUMS) and ignored your carbs, i think you'll be fine. if you meet your protein and fat goals and don't exceed your calorie goal, i think the carbs will take care of themselves.

1g carbs = 1g protein = 4 calories
    1g fats = 9 calories

set yourself up using a 40/30/30 or similar c/p/f split and see how you do.

Carbs impact insulin load and for some people that's critical. Not just diabetics. Low carb lifestyles are not a fad, although the diet industry makes it seem so. For many people staying low carb is CRITICAL to their health so please stop poo poo-ing it. You are not a doctor and you obviously don't even have a clue about the health ramifications. If you don't know, please don't say anything.
  • erikkmcvay
    Options

230 cals only equals 16g of dietary fiber but good point.
  • erikkmcvay
    Options
    Carbs impact insulin load and for some people that's critical. Not just diabetics. Low carb lifestyles are not a fad, although the diet industry makes it seem so. For many people staying low carb is CRITICAL to their health so please stop poo poo-ing it. You are not a doctor and you obviously don't even have a clue about the health ramifications. If you don't know, please don't say anything.

Actually whole grains (complex carbs) have a positive impact. You're talking simple carbs not complex carbs.
  • erikkmcvay
    Options
    http://www.battlediabetes.com/insulin-resistance-and-complex-carbohydrates
    One of the biggest mistakes that weight loss failures make is cutting out carbs altogether. An example of this flawed ideology is the Atkins diet. Clinical studies have proven that the low-carb, high fat diet has a negative impact on the health of your heart and blood.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

cutting carbs is just the latest get-thin-quick deprivation diet fad. unless you have diabetes or something like that, there is nothing wrong with eating carbs. none are good and none are bad. they are just carbs. if certain carbs trigger your appetite, then naturally i think scaling back your intake on those is prudent. for me, breads and pasta just make me hungry again faster. i still eat those, but i try not to eat too many. i also don't consider them bad at all. in fact, i don't even worry about my carb intake. i focus on proteins and fats and then let the rest of the calories be whatever combination of protein/fat/carbs i want them to be that particular day. to this point, i've not paid real close attention to my macros, but i customized my settings (the MFP default settings are silly) and this month i'll be tracking them closely to see how i'm doing with my protein and carbs. i think if you did that too (i.e., focusing on fats and protein, both of which are MINIMUMS) and ignored your carbs, i think you'll be fine. if you meet your protein and fat goals and don't exceed your calorie goal, i think the carbs will take care of themselves.

1g carbs = 1g protein = 4 calories
    1g fats = 9 calories

set yourself up using a 40/30/30 or similar c/p/f split and see how you do.

i refer you to the boldface in my original post.

whether you like it or not, low-carbing is currently a diet fad.

in a couple of years, it will be replaced by something else. that's how the weight loss industry works.
  • erikkmcvay
    Options
    At the other end of the spectrum are complex carbohydrates like vegetables, fruits, whole grains, legumes, and nuts. Complex carbohydrates enhance our health in the following ways:

They are typically rich in both fiber and micronutrients, offering real nutrition that the body needs to function.
    This added nutrition takes longer to digest, and the slower break-down process helps maintain healthier insulin and blood sugar levels, keeping moods on a more even keel and diminishing risk for insulin resistance.
    The slower rate of absorption of the sugars they provide means we have a steadier supply of energy and results in less sugar being converted into storage forms in the liver and as fat.
    Slow-acting, complex carbohydrates also satisfy hunger better and for longer periods, limiting the dramatic peaks and troughs — and the vicious cycle of cravings — we experience with simple carbohydrates.
    http://www.womentowomen.com/insulinresistance/carbohydratefoods.aspx
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    cutting carbs is just the latest get-thin-quick deprivation diet fad.

It's been around as a medically proven approach since at least 1797. The Atkins version dates to the early '70s but there were versions before that. If one wants to extend it to pre-agrarian or non-agrarian societies, it's been around for several thousand years.

BTW...I'm quite satiated, thanks, not feeling deprived at all.

low carb has been around since 1797?
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever satisfies my macros for the day :), I did switch to Ezekial bread and organic peanut butter and things that had a ton of chemicals and such in them we switched fast. But its honestly not what your eating, but how much you are eating!!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    A typical Western diet is something like 60% carbs, 20% protein and 20% fat. (and a calorie surplus) Something like this could be a suitable diet for someone who is doing a lot of resistance training (and wanting to gain muscle) or endurance training (to replenish glycogen stores). It is not a good choice for someone wanting to lose fat. As the essential macros are P&F, it makes sense to cut total calories from carbs. There is no need for them to be eliminated. People who are insulin resistant "should" have better fat loss results with a lower carb diet and people who are insulin sensitive "should" have better results with a higher carb diet. It isn't a one size fits all thing :)

Also, since reading, protein is insulinogenic. And this may help :)http://cdnutritionandfitness.com/carbs-are-the-devil/
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    low-carbing is currently a diet fad.

in a couple of years, it will be replaced by something else. that's how the weight loss industry works.

I sure wish the food industry would jump on the carb bandwagon, in that case. You find VERY few products that have the carb content in bold letters on the front like they do fat and calories. I am more interested in that. Low fat and calories is SO 70's. :D
  • moorednorham
    Options
    People who are insulin resistant "should" have better fat loss results with a lower carb diet and people who are insulin sensitive "should" have better results with a higher carb diet. It isn't a one size fits all thing :)

Exactly.
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Okay so it came off as I was trying to push carbs down your throats.

I was more like wondering about how or why people do the low carb diets. I do understand that you sometimes need low carb do to health issues. I mean I have days where I am lower in carb but my macro is 168g daily for weight maintenance. If I go super low my mood is just really crappy as I've witnessed with other people who do the low carb lifestyle. I just feel like doing the Atkins way is odd because a carb is our brains fuel and it is a macro after all. That's all.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Carbs are just the newest boogie man, that's all...

actually, sedentary individuals can do well significantly reducing they're carb intake because they simply don't burn them off and they're easy for the body to store...it's complete foolishness if you workout with any kind of intensity though...no glycogen stores = no energy to kill it while training.

Also, people with insulin issues should definitely watch the carb intake. A lot of overweight people are somewhat insulin resistant, even if they're not full blown diabetic. Significantly over weight people can have a lot of benefit from reducing carbs so long as they realize they aren't the devil and usually can be and should be re-introduced at a later date.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I might add that it is difficult to get enough dietary fiber while eating as much protein as many seem to think they need today, all the while keeping calories down. 1g of protein = 4 cals 1g of fat = 9 cals so let's do the math:

184LBM * .85 * 4 = 625.6
    184LBM * .35 * 9 = 579.6
    That's 1205.2 calories and I haven't had a single carb....

Somehow, without eating too much I have to now get close to 38g of fiber....225 calories of Rice and Quinoa gets me about 5g of fiber...

Exactly where do I get the rest?
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fiber/NU00033

My advice, for what it's worth, is to learn about complex carbs and dietary fiber and to get plenty of it unless you spend a lot of time weight training or doing a lot of cardio and then only increase the protein cals on those days.

38 grams of fiber per day? My goal is like 15-20 grams per day. I would be so gassy if I ate that much fiber!
  • erikkmcvay
    Options
    25 for women and not when on a reduced cal diet.
    38 for men -- ditto above.

Source: Mayo Clinic and others.
  • erikkmcvay
    Options
    Causes

Fiber is a kind of carbohydrate from plants that your body can’t digest. Fiber aids in bowel movements by softening your stool and giving it bulk. However, since many low-carb diets limit fruit and vegetable consumption because of the sugars they contain, some dieters end up with hard stools that are difficult to pass. Constipation leads to gas and a bloated feeling. Also, as Health 101 explains, the sugar alcohols like lacitol and sorbitol that sweeten many processed low-carb snacks can cause digestive disturbances and gas in large quantities.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/300356-gas-bloating-low-carb-diet/#ixzz2Y173o0yT

It's not complex carbs that cause gas etc.
  • astrovivi
    astrovivi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Carbs only get a bad rap if you are looking in the wrong place for information.

Nothing wrong with carbs.

Hit your min quota for protein and fats at least each day and the rest is carbs. That's a good strategy.

Some people are actually carb sensitive and do not do well on a high carb diet but that is not the mainstream.

Really low carb or ketogenic diets don't work for most people long term.

Eating too many calories will make you fatter in general, not a speciific macronutrient.

Enjoy your carbs.