Diet Soda

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    I drink one or two diet sodas a day, have been for most of my adult life. Cutting it or keeping it will not effect your weight loss either way. (Unless you cut it and replace it with a beverage that contains calories...then it can make weight loss more difficult)
  • I_Will_End_You
    Why? Because I feel a person who asks a question is requesting to be well informed, so I laid out all of the information. Education is important when deciding what is right for your body.

The problem with the articles you posted is that they are from Health magazines and fitness bloggers. There is no science behind them. (even if they say "studies show...")
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Why? Because I feel a person who asks a question is requesting to be well informed, so I laid out all of the information. Education is important when deciding what is right for your body.

Yes, education is great.

Though it needs to be based off of the correct information.
  • faithsstaircase
    faithsstaircase Posts: 97 Member
    One of them is literally called Science vs Soda and details findings of researchers from the school of Medicine at UTHSC...
  • faithsstaircase

Yes, education is great.

The correct information that people know 100% to be true? Because there is no such thing. Otherwise they wouldn't still be studying it. Hence why people need to read up and decide what is right *for their own body and lifestyle*.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited March 2016

The problem with the articles you posted is that they are from Health magazines and fitness bloggers. There is no science behind them. (even if they say "studies show...")
    Yes, education is great.

Agreed and Agreed.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member

Yes, education is great.

The correct information that people know 100% to be true? Because there is no such thing. Otherwise they wouldn't still be studying it. Hence why people need to read up and decide what is right *for their own body and lifestyle*.

The additives and effects of the additives in diet soda have been studied to death and are pretty indisputable at this point. Especially aspartame. Did you read the link that I posted earlier up in the thread? The guy that wrote it did a great job explaining exactly what it is and how it is metabolized. He cited all of his sources, also.

Your makeup is very pretty, btw.
  • faithsstaircase
    The only thing that is indisputable is that nothing works the same for everyone. I'm not against diet soda - obviously. I drink it myself. Switching to MOSTLY water helped me tremendously, but what works for me doesn't work for everyone and vice versa.

And thanks. :-)
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    I actually just ADDED diet soda (ginger ale) to my daily diet as for me its a replacement for beer. Alcohol was inhibiting my weight loss but I'm used to having something to drink after dinner and possibly with popcorn. The beer was within my calories but definitely not nutritious (2 Lites is about 200 of my 1200 calories, my body probably really needs those 200 calories to be actual nutrition).

Switching out the beer calories and alcohol with food calories got my weight loss going again. I'm in that often tough to handle 1200 calorie range. Apparently I AM one of those people where it makes a difference what your calories are comprised of.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I actually just ADDED diet soda (ginger ale) to my daily diet as for me its a replacement for beer. Alcohol was inhibiting my weight loss but I'm used to having something to drink after dinner and possibly with popcorn. The beer was within my calories but definitely not nutritious (2 Lites is about 200 of my 1200 calories, my body probably really needs those 200 calories to be actual nutrition).

Switching out the beer calories and alcohol with food calories got my weight loss going again. I'm in that often tough to handle 1200 calorie range. Apparently I AM one of those people where it makes a difference what your calories are comprised of.

Canada Dry 10 is my all time favorite.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member

Canada Dry 10 is my all time favorite.

I love A&W 10!
  • successgal1
    If I had a diet root beer I would want ice cream with that! A diet ginger ale is only missing the Jack Daniels. :-)
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    *drinks 2 - 4 diet sodas per day*

*has lost 25lbs since Christmas, and over 80lbs overall*

Also, A&W 10 Root Beer is AMAZING!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    Uses a rat study for conclusion. Correlative at best. Pass.
    Another correlation study.
    This one looks at least at the evidence from opposition to verify if the correlations are meaningful.
    I love how upset people get when you express your opinion. Here are some articles on both sides of the fence so you can decide for yourself.

Regarding the chemicals: http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/science-vs-soda-whats-really-in-your-diet-coke

Bottom line, listen to your body and do what's right for you. There's no magic formula for this. If it was easy, we'd all be healthy, skinny, and not having this conversation.
    Hardly upsetting. But it does matter when people don't post correct information and try to pass it off as truth.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    My favorite diet is Dr. Brown's diet cream soda, but I can never find it around here lately.
  • ninerbuff
    Your tooth enamel might not like it, other than that your fine.
    People that have issues with tooth enamel are likely people who have bad oral hygiene. Hell regular sugar is bad for your teeth and it's in all fruit and vegetables.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    As long as the information is correct. Why do you think so many people are confused about how weight loss/gain actually works?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • successgal1
    Oooooh, now I'm going to look for diet cream soda next time I'm out and about. Personally I stay away from colas, too much phosphoric acid.
  • kpeterson539
    kpeterson539 Posts: 220 Member
    If I had a diet root beer I would want ice cream with that! A diet ginger ale is only missing the Jack Daniels. :-)

I like you. This is my favorite drink and I call it the Nectar of the Gods.

cheers!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    The only thing that is indisputable is that nothing works the same for everyone. I'm not against diet soda - obviously. I drink it myself. Switching to MOSTLY water helped me tremendously, but what works for me doesn't work for everyone and vice versa.

And thanks. :-)

There's quite a few things that work the same for everyone. Gravity for example. The laws of physics as a whole.