coconut oil

Replies

• melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    anyasij wrote: »
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    No. I'm using "eating less than I burn" for weight loss. But that doesn't sound as sexy.

And you can't rub it in your hair.

I know. So many disadvantages to CI<CO. :wink:

I've seen CICO a lot on this site, what does it mean?

Calories In < Calories Out

Meaning, if your body burns 1800 calories a day (doing no exercise!), you need to eat 1700 (or a bit less if you like) for weight loss to happen automatically.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    I use coconut cream in my coffee. Actually has had an unintentional weight loss effect- in that it stops me feeling hungry, and that saves the calories I would have ate if I'd had breakfast (the calories saved are greater than the calories ingested in the single tsp of coconut cream). It's a bit like bullet-proof coffee I suppose.

I happened on it, as almond milk splits in coffee due to not having enough fat and I needed to find something that worked.
  • Maaike84
    Maaike84 Posts: 211 Member
    I honestly don't understand the health hype around coconut oil. Sure, it stands up better against high heat than olive oil and I might use it for taste reasons when I am cooking a curry, but it is quite high in saturated fat. I'm not an expert, but I've read that it's probably the least healthy of all the vegetable oils.
  • Lydilod
    Lydilod Posts: 135 Member
    I only use coconut oil, 5g to cook mushrooms -oh the smell :) I also use it in my actifry, 10g is enough for two people. It's only 46 calories per 5g. :)
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Coconut oil does not aid in weight loss, but it's sure great for cooking and baking!

I make these chocolate protein cupcakes with coconut flour and coconut oil when I'm on my high fat, low carb days. I also make roasted sweet potatoes that I coat in coconut oil and a spice blend of cinnamon, ginger, cloves, different chiles, orange peel, brown sugar, and sea salt. It tastes amazing and the coconut oil really brings all the flavors together.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    i use it on my dog for his skin issues.

great stuff :P
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,047 Member
    I use it on my scalp to treat my psoriasis. Works a treat. Have done since i was a kid.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,371 Member
    edited March 2016
    Maaike84 wrote: »
    I honestly don't understand the health hype around coconut oil. Sure, it stands up better against high heat than olive oil and I might use it for taste reasons when I am cooking a curry, but it is quite high in saturated fat. I'm not an expert, but I've read that it's probably the least healthy of all the vegetable oils.

Re: the saturated fat in coconut oil it isn't as bad as you think, but still doesn't compare well to other vegetable oils. I don't use vegetable oils though I have a preference for other types.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/coconut-oil
  • maria0104
    maria0104 Posts: 64 Member
    I use it on my nose when I have a cold or the flu. Works brilliantly.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    I would love to use it as a moisturizer. I'll be moisturized all the way to my goal weight!

Sometimes you need to moisturize from the inside out!
  • mariesmiles66
    mariesmiles66 Posts: 28 Member
    Thanks for the input!
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    I put 5gs in my coffee every morning
  • mariesmiles66
    mariesmiles66 Posts: 28 Member
    what does it do for you?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Coconut is a delicious and healthy oil to use and has some solid nutritional properties like antioxidants and so forth (so does olive oil)...but that doesn't have anything to do with weight loss. It's 120 calories just like any other fat.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    It's an oil, like any other oil. It doesn't cause weight loss.

Yep. I like the taste particularly with eggs and chicken. I also use it as a moisturizer.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    It's good for stir-frying veggies, then topping them with teriyaki sauce and pineapple. Tasty. And it makes my hair soft.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    mitch16 wrote: »
    I would love to use it as a moisturizer. I'll be moisturized all the way to my goal weight!

moist
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    I use it on my scalp to treat my psoriasis. Works a treat. Have done since i was a kid.

Ohhh.... it helps psoriasis?!?! I am going to have to try it! My psoriasis is on my ears and knees.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Alluminati wrote: »

moist

Hush :confounded:

I wish I could use coconut oil on my skin, but it makes it dryer and if i use it on my face I end up with pimples.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Alluminati wrote: »

moist

One of the grossest words in the English language.