Open diary -vs- closed diary

Options
1235»

Replies

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Same as nvmomketo. I had my diary public for years but I decided to close it earlier this year due to a streak of unsolicited comments -- it was pretty outrageous.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I had my diary open for the first few months. I didn't really care if people looked, ad invited some to look to see what a ketogenic diet can look like.

Then I had someone go into my diary and try to make me look bad by posting it o threads to mock. He mistakenly took two days I logged that were not of my diet; the first was a typical high carb day for me when I was gaining, and the second was a day of my husband's that I logged so he could get an idea of what he was eating. The fact that someone was going into my diary to try and find something in it to negatively impact me made me change it to private. I don't need that, and others don't need to see what I eat.

If it hadn't happened, my diary probably would still be public.

OMG i remember that. There was a pm involved, right?
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I think some people are more honest if their diary is closed. They may be to embarrassed to log certain things or overages if they know it's there for all to see, so they might not log those things at all, so end up cheating themselves..

That's my thinking. If you have it open you might be less inclined to log that you ate something a bit extreme, which means your logging is inaccurate and if something isn't working you can't see if you over ate etc

The goal should be accurate logging, if that is helped by a closed or open diary, that is the option you should pick.

Mine is closed as far as I am aware. For me I am already counting calories and macros, I don't need to add calculating real or imagine criticism to my calculations or food choices.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I open it when I'm dieting normally, and close it when I'm doing IF, logging multilingual foods, going on a low calorie stretch for a few days due to sickness/lack of appetite, or lazy-logging (like logging a bunch of quick adds or logging a 3 days' recipe or ingredient in one day). Keeping it open in these cases may confuse my friends or attract unwanted comments.

Example 1 : This was 3 days ago, no I did not eat 17 squares of chocolate in one day, I was just prelogging 3 bars (minus a square) and might take 3-7 days to actually eat them. I still have about 1.5 bars. If I was logging properly and did eat 3 bars of chocolate, it is what it is and I don't shy away from having it public, but when the whole logging thing is made up of similar mess to where it's not useful or doesn't make sense, it would only confuse or generate unnecessary chatter.

sozeewjzm9qb.png

Example 2: This was yesterday. Most people wouldn't be able to make sense of it.

8b58m7uwfdcv.png

I only have my diary open when I'm going through a phase where I'm logging things that make sense, like for a whole week three weeks ago:

sybbikv5lshp.png