Replies

• 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    1000 calories, that's crazy talk!
  • jk1508
    jk1508 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Large scale studies are showing that cutting calories to 1000 for women is not harmful. Check out Dr Michael Mosley's diets that are based on pure science and research, particularly the Blood Sugar diet. I lost 15 kg in 6 weeks and have kept it off. I've also never felt better. Make sure the doctor is an MD and you will be fine.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP you've gotten a lot of advice and commentary here. I am of the opinion that at your current weight, you don't seem like a candidate for a weight loss clinic. Have you tried just using the MFP recommendations for your height/weight/activity level and desired weight? What were those recommendations? Have you tried logging your food accurately and consistently, and eating back a portion of your calories?

Your TDEE estimate sounded very low, even considering that you have a desk job, you do exercise and I would doubt it is as low as what your doctor estimated. Have you considered getting a FitBit or other activity tracker? I found that very enlightening to realize I wasn't nearly as sedentary as I thought or as the calculators predicted.

For what it's worth, I'm the same height as you and so here's my story.

Started 3 years ago at age 38, 5'2 and 153 lbs. Desk Job. Wanted to get down to 125 lbs. entered my stats in MFP and selected 1 lb/week loss and was given 1200 (the lowest MFP will go). Was always hungry so I was always over, usually eating around 1400-1500 but losing, so I stuck with it. I was walking a couple times a week at that point and eating back exercise calories. Started reading the forums about how 1200 is too low for most people and wanting to lose weight in a way that I could live with forever. So I upped my goal to 1400 and kept losing. (I was eating about 1600 at that point). After about 6 months I had lost 18 lbs, down to 135. I was walking every day so I got a FitBit and realized I was actually more active than I had thought, I was averaging 10-12k steps a day. I changed my goal to 1650 and my activity level to lightly active. I was losing 0.5 lb/week at that point which was perfect for the 10-15 lbs I had left to lose. I lost the weight I set out to lose in about a year from when I started. I never felt hungry or deprived.

Fast forward two more years. I've been here a total of 3 years now. I still have the desk job. My TDEE according to FitBit is ~2200. I average 15k steps/day and do some light weights. I actually weigh 7 pounds under my original goal weight and am in maintenance with a range around 120. I eat back all those calories.

So no, at your stats, I think 1000 calories is extremely aggressive and unnecessary and I would probably just ditch the weight loss clinic part of your family doctor and let them know you are going to use a different approach but you will keep them informed as to your progress.

Good luck!
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    I'm a nurse and work with lots and lots of doctors. They don't always know what they're talking about, especially if they're one of those doctors of osteopathy (DO), and there are a lot of them who do family medicine.

That is a REALLY ridiculous and inaccurate stereotype to be throwing around on the internet. My sister is a DO, and is an extremely qualified doctor who literally saves the lives of babies every day in a nationally renowned neonatal intensive care unit. So, let's just stop right there with the bogus generalizations about an entire profession.

On the OP's question...I'd consider getting a second opinion, but I am also short (5'1") and have been told by doctors in the past that the 1200 calorie number is somewhat arbitrary, and that caloric intakes lower than 1200/day could make sense for some people in some circumstances, provided they are under supervision by a doctor or qualified nutritionist. If I were you, I'd ask the doctor to defend his/her recommendation a bit more, and make sure the potential risks are part of the discussion.

I used to see a DO and liked him hell of a lot more than the MD's I've seen.
  • mathiasbjorkman
    mathiasbjorkman Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    At 143 pounds you should eat about 72g fat a day. 0.5g per pound it body weight. If you cut out too much fat you will end up losing your hair and get skin problems. At 143 imho you don't have a weight problem. Maybe work on getting toned instead. Don't focus too much on the scale. It's more important how you feel and how your clothes fit than what the scale says. I'm 245'pounds. I have lost 70 pounds and 8 inches in my waist. I fought with 10 pounds for 2 months up and down but I kept losing inches.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    At 143 pounds you should eat about 72g fat a day. 0.5g per pound it body weight. If you cut out too much fat you will end up losing your hair and get skin problems. At 143 imho you don't have a weight problem. Maybe work on getting toned instead. Don't focus too much on the scale. It's more important how you feel and how your clothes fit than what the scale says. I'm 245'pounds. I have lost 70 pounds and 8 inches in my waist. I fought with 10 pounds for 2 months up and down but I kept losing inches.

The OP hasn't been here in a year
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    This is a weird one to stumble upon after more than a year. How does Google get you to this thread?
  • Lesscookies1
    Lesscookies1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I've found zombie threads before I think it has to do with going to the next page, and accidentally thinking it's a newer post versus slightly older post, or doing a search on a certain topic.
    Even though the Op is gone it confuses me what kind of a doctor would prescribe 1,000 calories for someone who is only slightly overweight.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    I've found zombie threads before I think it has to do with going to the next page, and accidentally thinking it's a newer post versus slightly older post, or doing a search on a certain topic.
    Even though the Op is gone it confuses me what kind of a doctor would prescribe 1,000 calories for someone who is only slightly overweight.

One not humble enough to refer the person to a dietician and/or someone who doesn't really care much, would be my guess.