For Some of Us there ARE Bad Foods

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    hamelle2 wrote: »
    I think discussions about personal experiences with certain foods, controling hunger, and learning what others have experienced should be a part of the MFP community. If it helps someone to talk about their individual challenges with certain foods and other issues then we should encourage these folks to post.
    It may be tedious to those who have found their way to the proven CICO lifestyle, however some are still learning what foods work for them.
    I have learned that my hunger soars when I indulge in certain foods. Are they bad foods? Of course not. But I learned a lot from people here how to manage my diet so I can maintain CICO.

I actually agree that this is a worthwhile discussion, and it's something I talk about on my feed and in groups. I'm not opposed to it being discussed otherwise. I AM opposed to people asserting that because a food is a trigger for them that it must be for others, or that a particular macro breakdown is ideal for all. For example, people who are successful low carbing are often those who find carbs non satiating and fat satiating. I'm the opposite.

If someone is clear they are working through their individual reactions, I agree that's interesting (and just started a thread in Challenges that might be relevant: Dietary Experiments). I am pro experimenting to see what works for you.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    100df wrote: »
    I think discussions about personal experiences with certain foods, controling hunger, and learning what others have experienced should be a part of the MFP community. If it helps someone to talk about their individual challenges with certain foods and other issues then we should encourage these folks to post.
    It may be tedious to those who have found their way to the proven CICO lifestyle, however some are still learning what foods work for them.
    I have learned that my hunger soars when I indulge in certain foods.
    Are they bad foods? Of course not. But I learned a lot from people here how to manage my diet so I can maintain CICO.

I agree. It does help to talk about foods that I have a hard time controlling.

Sometimes I think posters who haven't eaten at a deficit for a long time forget what it's like. The people who haven't ever had the need to restrict calories have no idea what it is like.

I lost 95 lbs. So I think I ate at a deficit for a while, no?
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options

[/quote]

I used to get takeout too much when I was gaining weight. I mostly got Indian food, including vegetarian choices such as the vegetable jalfrazie. The problem was not a lack of veg. It was that the veg came with too much high cal extras (especially ghee, but also naan, as I do love it).[/quote]

Indian food tastes great, and absolutely is a cuisine one can overeat while getting lots of veggies.

Although I have fit my favorite byrani dishes and others into a balanced program......
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    RobD520 wrote: »

I used to get takeout too much when I was gaining weight. I mostly got Indian food, including vegetarian choices such as the vegetable jalfrazie. The problem was not a lack of veg. It was that the veg came with too much high cal extras (especially ghee, but also naan, as I do love it).[/quote]

Indian food tastes great, and absolutely is a cuisine one can overeat while getting lots of veggies.

Although I have fit my favorite byrani dishes and others into a balanced program......[/quote]

Yeah, me too! Mainly I decide to get it every month or so vs. every week or so and use my long runs to make room. I had Indian before a few of my best half marathon performances.

Ethiopian is a food I usually overdo also, so try and match with a long run.
  • hamelle2
    hamelle2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    100df wrote: »
    I have learned that my hunger soars when I indulge in certain foods.
    Are they bad foods? Of course not. But I learned a lot from people here how to manage my diet so I can maintain CICO.

I agree. It does help to talk about foods that I have a hard time controlling.

Sometimes I think posters who haven't eaten at a deficit for a long time forget what it's like. The people who haven't ever had the need to restrict calories have no idea what it is like.

Take a poll, you will be surprised about how wrong you may be.

I had no clue what real hunger was when I started CICO. I think each day for a month I asked a new question. Many very basic questions. LOL and I really appreciated everyones' tolerance.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Do you disagree that there are some foods that physiologically cause food cravings to go up for some people?

No, but this is quite individual. Not everyone responds to "-itos" foods by binging or craving. Not everyone (even obese everyones) have cravings for or psychological dependence upon, food.
    Do you think blaming people for their so-called 'loss of control' and insisting that the "food" is just fine is helpful to anyone?

Blaming doesn't accomplish anything, but insisting that food is nether "good" nor "bad" has actually been a very helpful tool in controlling my BED. If the food isn't bad, just food, and I can have it when I want, takes the emotional aspect from eating, which has allowed me to control my binging. If it's not bad, then eating it causes no shame, so the cycle stops.

On the other hand, when I tried to stick to the Fuhrman nutritarian diet, which is vegan and "clean" I found myself in out of control binges. I felt ashamed at failing, so I accepted what I thought of as my failure and stopped trying. I fully admit this does not apply to everyone. Allowing myself to eat what I want, as long as I can fit it into my plan, and in reasonable amounts worked for me and I do not advocate it for anyone else.
    Self discipline is actually something of a strength of mine. But sometimes I exercise this by avoiding foods that impact me in a way I don't like. I don't see this as a sign of weakness-quite the contrary. Yet there were several times in this discussion where I basically received the message "Cheetos are fine; YOU suck."

I also think there are people who think that my statement "X is bad for me" logically means "anyone who eats X is bad." This is quite a stretch in logic; and is NOT something that I believe.

Avoiding foods that make you feel icky is not a weakness, it's wisdom. No one said you suck because you don't eat
    Cheetos, only when another advocates that no one eat Cheetos.

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Can you point.to any credible source saying foods on the whoa list should be a high percentage of the average persons diet on a regular basis?

The burden of proof actually rests on those who want to label foods as being bad to eat. Tens of thousands of years of humans eating eggs (and most likely millions of years given the nutrition profiles of other mammals and particularly great apes) ought to be evidence enough that they needn't be avoided or "eaten sparingly."

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    After posting earlier my long argument about the arbitrariness of the NIH chart of foods, I went on a lovely hike with my dogs. When I sat down with my supper it hit me that I've eaten foods almost exclusively on the "SLOW" and "WOAH" lists today. It made me laugh, because I've met all my nutrition goals for the day but am well under the calories I need yet.

This was all entirely coincidental, I ate what I intended to eat today and changed nothing with respect to the list (either to add or subtract).

While I don't generally share my diary, I thought it would be humorous to show you a diet breaking all the NIH "rules" that still managed to cover all necessary nutritional bases. Everything was weighed on a scale, so I can be fairly certain of my intake.

My goal is 1500 calories. I have MFP set to sedentary, and add exercise in but eat about half my calories back. Because we all know the estimates are grossly exaggerated.

My diet is a little shorter on fruits & vegetables than usual because I ran out of bananas today, which would normally round out my post-hiking/walking snack, and because I had a monster salad from heaven yesterday and nutrition is an overall picture thing anyway. I took vitamins. I do this every day, regardless of what I eat. The one-daily covers the bases if I fall short somewhere during the day, and the Vitamin D is on doctor's orders. I know that absolutely no nutritional purist of any stripe is going to "like" this, but it was my day and I'm happy with it, and I know it fit into my goals very nicely.

I'm a little heavier on both protein and fat than most days today, but my weekly average is (49% Carbohydrate, 29% Fat, 22% Protein). Within 1-2 percentage points that's been fairly steady for the entire 16 months I've been logging.

cr68kda7dqor.png
    8ljra5f8odnq.png

Oh the ways in which I have broken the rules! Shall I count thee?
    1. I fried those eggs. With nonstick spray, so I'm missing what, maybe 2 calories from that? I needed something to eat with my morning lupus medication, and was craving eggs. Not my typical breakfast, I usually go for a half cup of grape nuts with a teaspoon of sugar, but you know, this was good. Even if it was (WOAH)
    2. Pasta! Yes, I ate a generous 3 oz portion of Creamette 150 Thin Spaghetti.. but wait, all pasta is not created equal! This pasta was high in fiber, giving me a real leg up on that early in the day. (SLOW)
    3. *shudder* Processed pasta sauce! Prego Heart Smart Traditional Spaghetti Sauce, to be preciese. The horror! It came out of a jar, and indeed one cannot be entire certain that they actually used tomatoes even though it says tomatoe puree and diced tomatoes for the first two ingredients. And what's that on ingredient three? Sugar? Well that invalidated all that tomatoey goodness right there, didn't it? Despite the American Heart Association's approval, too. (SLOW)
    4. Processed meat. Yes, I decided to up my protein intake by throwing a processed meat (a heavily processed food?) on top of that evil pasta and spaghetti for lunch. Mama Cozzi's Pizza Kitchen Turkey Pepperoni from Aldi's added this delicious burst of flavor and helped me fuel up for my hike. (WOAH)
    5. I drank a bunch of diet pop. I'm sure that I'm going to nutrition hell for that, even if it is on the (GO).
    6. Taco shells. Specifically Ortega Yellow Corn Taco Shells (made with whole corn and canola oil, not soybean, so I don't risk killing myself short-term because of my soybean allergy). (SLOW)
    7. Ground beef. Oh this was wonderful. We don't season it with taco seasoning, but we do add some pepper and cayenne to it. This was 90% lean beef I bought in bulk at Sam's Club and froze awhile ago, so when ground beef pops up in my diet it usually does so for 2-3 days in a row. I had a 4.1 oz hamburger last night, too, for what it's worth. Ground beef this lean needs to be watched fairly carefully as it can dry out easily, but I love the texture and flavor. At any rate...so much for (SLOW)
    8. My taco would have been very very sad without cheese. And there's no way fat-free or processed cheese spread is going to dust them either. So I had 1.2 oz of delicious, full-fat cheddar cheese. That's a big-old-(WOAH).
    9. I needed more green stuff and the iceberg lettuce didn't cut it. I had half an avocado left over from yesterday (wrapped with a little lime juice, do I need to log that? I shook it off...). That weighed in at 62 g and gave me a bonus of 4 g of fiber with its green deliciousness. But wait! Avocado is... (SLOW).
    10. The tacos (2) really needed sour cream. I put a bit of Daisy Light Sour Cream on each, weighing in at a total of 33 grams. It doesn't take much to get that nice tangy addition. It was the perfect topper to a delicious supper and one fantastic (SLOW)
    11. Of course, unlisted are my tomatoes, which are no dietary rule-breaker, or my 2 appx. 8-oz servings of skim milk. I have nothing against 1%, 2% or even whole milk, I just prefer the skim stuff. I clearly had enough calories left over I could've drunk whichever I preferred.

There you have it, folks. During 1 day, I met all my nutrition goals (well I'm a little short on potassium but I'll make that up before bed) except raw calories in 1,268 calories and managed to tick up 6 (SLOW) foods and 3 (WOAH) ones.

Oh, and I'm not done eating for the day. I have no intention of having such a ridiculous deficit today. I'm set for a 500 calorie daily deficit (1 lb/ week), a rate of loss which I've slightly exceeded when measured monthly over the last 16 months.

While have 657 calories to play with yet and still be within my deficit (counting 1/2 exercise calories), I will probably have 204 grams (1.5 cups) of ice cream (420 calories, Food Club Vanilla) with a half cup of blueberries tonight (42 calories) . And with ignoring that (WOAH) I'll yell

HI HO SILVER AWAAAY!

o:)

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    @tomteboda that is awesome. I hope you enjoyed your hike and your woah foods. <3
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    Can you point.to any credible source saying foods on the whoa list should be a high percentage of the average persons diet on a regular basis?

The burden of proof actually rests on those who want to label foods as being bad to eat. Tens of thousands of years of humans eating eggs (and most likely millions of years given the nutrition profiles of other mammals and particularly great apes) ought to be evidence enough that they needn't be avoided or "eaten sparingly."

So you have nothing. Have a good one.
  • RobD520
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    RobD520 wrote: »

I used to get takeout too much when I was gaining weight. I mostly got Indian food, including vegetarian choices such as the vegetable jalfrazie. The problem was not a lack of veg. It was that the veg came with too much high cal extras (especially ghee, but also naan, as I do love it).

Although I have fit my favorite byrani dishes and others into a balanced program......[/quote]

Yeah, me too! Mainly I decide to get it every month or so vs. every week or so and use my long runs to make room. I had Indian before a few of my best half marathon performances.

Ethiopian is a food I usually overdo also, so try and match with a long run.[/quote]

Ethiopian food is an interesting challenge. For me, keeping portions reasonable is about being mindful of the portion of injera bread I consume.
  • RobD520
    Options

So you have nothing. Have a good one.

I think there is a fair bit of research that contradicts the notion of eggs being a 'whoa' food. I also don't believe that a bit of cheese everyday is problematic, and take issue with the notion that 'cheese product' (slow) is better than full fat cheese (whoa).

To bring up all the empirical evidence that would contradict certain components of this chart would take some time. I will say that following it in the context of a balanced diet would be fine.

Many of the things done to make food (supposedly) less unhealthy destroy the taste for a VERY modest calorie advantage. When I consider the difference between 'skinny' and traditional mashed potatoes, for example, I feel like am making a HUGE flavor sacrifice for a TINY calorie advantage.
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    After reading these posts, I just had an idea - put some bbq Fritos in my turkey wrap! I think it would taste great and not add much to my caloric intake.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Semantics.

I simply cannot have certain foods in my house or I will eat them. So to me, they are 'bad' food. In reality, the food is fine-it's my lack of determination to NOT eat them.

The premise of 'there are no bad foods' is that it really does boil down to CICO...that's science.

I have a few food items that I will not eat all because they're the few that I could (and used to) binge on. Donuts and pastries. To me...they are indeed BAD food. But only for me.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    shell1005 wrote: »
    I don't think I know anyone who has had no fruits or veggies for weeks. That's just being dramatic.

Actually I was lying around sick one day and saw several that looked like they were fully documenting their diet, not being dramatic (unless you count fries or chips).

Since around 90% of Americans don't get the recommended amount of fruits or veggies, the idea that some don't eat any is not dramatic.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6426a1.htm

I think that's real, and worrying, but I really don't think the solution is saying "no added sugar or sat fat!" or whatever, but instead encouraging people to eat adequate veg and an overall healthful diet.

One reason I'm cynical about "clean eating" on MFP is so many have posted "can I clean eat and not eat veg" or claimed it was only "clean eating" or "keto" that caused them to eat veg. People should know, as a matter of common sense, that a healthy diet requires veg (excepting those with specific medical conditions like certain forms of Crohns).

Since I've always eaten lots of veg the claim that it requires a special diet to do or one won't seems odd to me.

I think that was a psychology 101 thing. Don't tell people what not to do, but rather what to do more of.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    After posting earlier my long argument about the arbitrariness of the NIH chart of foods, I went on a lovely hike with my dogs. When I sat down with my supper it hit me that I've eaten foods almost exclusively on the "SLOW" and "WOAH" lists today. It made me laugh, because I've met all my nutrition goals for the day but am well under the calories I need yet.

This was all entirely coincidental, I ate what I intended to eat today and changed nothing with respect to the list (either to add or subtract).

While I don't generally share my diary, I thought it would be humorous to show you a diet breaking all the NIH "rules" that still managed to cover all necessary nutritional bases. Everything was weighed on a scale, so I can be fairly certain of my intake.

My goal is 1500 calories. I have MFP set to sedentary, and add exercise in but eat about half my calories back. Because we all know the estimates are grossly exaggerated.

My diet is a little shorter on fruits & vegetables than usual because I ran out of bananas today, which would normally round out my post-hiking/walking snack, and because I had a monster salad from heaven yesterday and nutrition is an overall picture thing anyway. I took vitamins. I do this every day, regardless of what I eat. The one-daily covers the bases if I fall short somewhere during the day, and the Vitamin D is on doctor's orders. I know that absolutely no nutritional purist of any stripe is going to "like" this, but it was my day and I'm happy with it, and I know it fit into my goals very nicely.

I'm a little heavier on both protein and fat than most days today, but my weekly average is (49% Carbohydrate, 29% Fat, 22% Protein). Within 1-2 percentage points that's been fairly steady for the entire 16 months I've been logging.

cr68kda7dqor.png
    8ljra5f8odnq.png

1. I fried those eggs. With nonstick spray, so I'm missing what, maybe 2 calories from that? I needed something to eat with my morning lupus medication, and was craving eggs. Not my typical breakfast, I usually go for a half cup of grape nuts with a teaspoon of sugar, but you know, this was good. Even if it was (WOAH)
    2. Pasta! Yes, I ate a generous 3 oz portion of Creamette 150 Thin Spaghetti.. but wait, all pasta is not created equal! This pasta was high in fiber, giving me a real leg up on that early in the day. (SLOW)
    3. *shudder* Processed pasta sauce! Prego Heart Smart Traditional Spaghetti Sauce, to be preciese. The horror! It came out of a jar, and indeed one cannot be entire certain that they actually used tomatoes even though it says tomatoe puree and diced tomatoes for the first two ingredients. And what's that on ingredient three? Sugar? Well that invalidated all that tomatoey goodness right there, didn't it? Despite the American Heart Association's approval, too. (SLOW)
    4. Processed meat. Yes, I decided to up my protein intake by throwing a processed meat (a heavily processed food?) on top of that evil pasta and spaghetti for lunch. Mama Cozzi's Pizza Kitchen Turkey Pepperoni from Aldi's added this delicious burst of flavor and helped me fuel up for my hike. (WOAH)
    5. I drank a bunch of diet pop. I'm sure that I'm going to nutrition hell for that, even if it is on the (GO).
    6. Taco shells. Specifically Ortega Yellow Corn Taco Shells (made with whole corn and canola oil, not soybean, so I don't risk killing myself short-term because of my soybean allergy). (SLOW)
    7. Ground beef. Oh this was wonderful. We don't season it with taco seasoning, but we do add some pepper and cayenne to it. This was 90% lean beef I bought in bulk at Sam's Club and froze awhile ago, so when ground beef pops up in my diet it usually does so for 2-3 days in a row. I had a 4.1 oz hamburger last night, too, for what it's worth. Ground beef this lean needs to be watched fairly carefully as it can dry out easily, but I love the texture and flavor. At any rate...so much for (SLOW)
    8. My taco would have been very very sad without cheese. And there's no way fat-free or processed cheese spread is going to dust them either. So I had 1.2 oz of delicious, full-fat cheddar cheese. That's a big-old-(WOAH).
    9. I needed more green stuff and the iceberg lettuce didn't cut it. I had half an avocado left over from yesterday (wrapped with a little lime juice, do I need to log that? I shook it off...). That weighed in at 62 g and gave me a bonus of 4 g of fiber with its green deliciousness. But wait! Avocado is... (SLOW).
    10. The tacos (2) really needed sour cream. I put a bit of Daisy Light Sour Cream on each, weighing in at a total of 33 grams. It doesn't take much to get that nice tangy addition. It was the perfect topper to a delicious supper and one fantastic (SLOW)
    11. Of course, unlisted are my tomatoes, which are no dietary rule-breaker, or my 2 appx. 8-oz servings of skim milk. I have nothing against 1%, 2% or even whole milk, I just prefer the skim stuff. I clearly had enough calories left over I could've drunk whichever I preferred.

There you have it, folks. During 1 day, I met all my nutrition goals (well I'm a little short on potassium but I'll make that up before bed) except raw calories in 1,268 calories and managed to tick up 6 (SLOW) foods and 3 (WOAH) ones.

Oh, and I'm not done eating for the day. I have no intention of having such a ridiculous deficit today. I'm set for a 500 calorie daily deficit (1 lb/ week), a rate of loss which I've slightly exceeded when measured monthly over the last 16 months.

While have 657 calories to play with yet and still be within my deficit (counting 1/2 exercise calories), I will probably have 204 grams (1.5 cups) of ice cream (420 calories, Food Club Vanilla) with a half cup of blueberries tonight (42 calories) . And with ignoring that (WOAH) I'll yell

HI HO SILVER AWAAAY!

This would not meet "my" nutritional goals because it has a whopping 75% carbs and a scant 15% protein. I prefer no more than 50% carbs and about 20-25% protein, which is more in line with MFPs standard recommendation and is more satiating "for me". If it works for you, great, but I wouldn't promote it as nutritionally sound.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I see this whole thing like this. There's foods that some people have serious problems with restricting to normal amounts.
    There's also foods, that for some people, will kill them dead, while others have no problems eating them whatsoever.

I don't call the first foods "bad" for the same reason I don't call the second ones "deadly".
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

cr68kda7dqor.png
    8ljra5f8odnq.png

HI HO SILVER AWAAAY!

This would not meet "my" nutritional goals because it has a whopping 75% carbs and a scant 15% protein. I prefer no more than 50% carbs and about 20-25% protein, which is more in line with MFPs standard recommendation and is more satiating "for me". If it works for you, great, but I wouldn't promote it as nutritionally sound.

Really? My math has 26% protein, and 42% carbs. What am I doing wrong? It is true that I've never learned Common Core, maybe that's it?

Also, on what basis is 84 g of protein not nutritionally sound? (Protein should be looked at by gram, not percentage of the diet.)

The RDI is only .8 g per kg (of healthy body weight if one is overweight) (for me that would be about 45 g).

Even if you use the recommendation to preserve muscle and provide for best performance for people with athletic goals (which is way beyond what the US dietary guidelines recommend, although more in tune with what a lot of people here like for dieting), it's about .65-.85 g/lb of healthy body weight. For me, that's about 80-105 g.