Weighting everything to the ounce. So discouraging.

Options

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    KnM0107 wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    KnM0107 wrote: »
    I have never owned a good scale and now that I am in maintenance, I rarely log at all.

I had to work through a lot of issues with ocd just to be able to log while I was losing. For me, adding in weighing all my food would have been detrimental to my success mentally. I understand why people use a food scale and I even understand how people could even like it. I just wish people could understand my side of it. Oh well, I am at goal so it doesn't really matter who gets it.

Op: Do what you need to do for your own mental and physical well being. Scales are very beneficial to some and the most accurate way to judge intake, but you don't have to use one to be successful.

I get it! I think it's awesome you had success without weighing your food.

I know some people can see the other side of it and it is much appreciated! I should have worded that part better.

No it was worded fine. I mean, in my book if what you're doing works-great! But some people come on here asking why they can't lose, yet are so reluctant to TRY a food scale-or worse yet, cannot believe that they are eating too much.
  • Rosie6452
    Rosie6452 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just read one blog. OMG I'm new to this forum. It's so shocking. Really, is that what you do? Weigh everything to the ounce? It's so discouraging. Diet.
    I just read one blog. OMG I'm new to this forum. It's so shocking. Really, is that what you do? Weigh everything to the ounce? It's so discouraging. Diet.

NO its not that's the only way to loss to weight... You have to know every thing that goes in... Otherwise you will have to give it up because you will eventually gain it back with cheating. I have been their many times.... You can do it.
  • dcdcdcdenisedcdcdc
    dcdcdcdenisedcdcdc Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    So you have a choice. Continue on whatever diet you think works (which probably isn't since you've looked here), or take the steps you need to to be successful. Success isn't for everyone because they aren't WILLING to do what it takes for it to happen. If not, that's how life goes and you can either complain about non success or do what it takes to achieve it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

[/quote]
    Wow. Sorry I offended you. I wasn't complaining. I was only surprised to come on this forum and read about what people do to lose weight. Not everyone has to do the same thing. You should learn that as a fitness trainer. Your post was the only really non helpful post and actually seems hateful.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    So you have a choice. Continue on whatever diet you think works (which probably isn't since you've looked here), or take the steps you need to to be successful. Success isn't for everyone because they aren't WILLING to do what it takes for it to happen. If not, that's how life goes and you can either complain about non success or do what it takes to achieve it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This advice is what helped me. It was the wake up call that I personally needed when I first started on my weight loss journey. It's not 'mean', and definitely not report-worthy.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    Well it doesn't work that way for everybody. I have been doing it for almost 6 years and I still find it annoying and time consuming. I don't use the app, so I have to weight everything, log it in a piece of paper and then when I have the time enter it in the database. I am a PC person, I don't do apps.

And it takes more than 5 minutes in an entire day unless you eat only one meal. I cook three meals a day for me and my husband, so yes it is time consuming, especially if you have a lot of ingredients to weigh (big salads anyone?), or if you are preparing a big recipe, or if you are using new ingredients that you have to look for in the database (and sometimes are not there so you have to manually enter them).

I log on a PC, and my method is to pre-log everything the night before - using the recipe builder and saved meals to make it quick - and rather than log what I weigh, I weigh out what I already logged. This replaces the use of measuring cups, etc. Essentially, I'm using the log I already created as a recipe to prepare or portion out the meal.

I don't adjust my logs to reflect the actual grams I weighted if they are different, unless the difference is significant (either a large amount off, or a smaller amount of very calorie-dense food).

Typical time is far less than 5 minutes per day.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It's funny how people do it differently. I've tried prelogging and just can't, but logging while cooking takes no time for me (whereas trying to estimate drove me crazy). I just add in the scale as a step in the cooking process (chop, weigh)--I either remember a few things and then walk over to my laptop or I jot it down and log when everything is cooking (some things get weighed at the end, if I've created a recipe or am doing bone-in meat).

I never use the app, and the only thing I hate and find burdensome is creating a recipe, so when possible I list out ingredients instead.

Even when I'm not logging I find myself weighing out food -- stuff like pasta and oatmeal because I'm just used to using the serving size, and stuff like potatoes and veg to confirm I'm eating my normal amount (roughly). There's no real reason for it, but it's just such a habit.

I lost fine before I weighed, but I was comfortable with a food scale from baking, hated estimating, and find the scale fun. It's even turned me around on metric (well, to a point -- human weights in kg still look weird to me!). ;-)
  • dcdcdcdenisedcdcdc
    dcdcdcdenisedcdcdc Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    the guy said whatever i'm doing probably isn't working for me
    he said SUCCESS ISN'T FOR EVERYONE
    BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT WILLING TO DO WHAT IT TAKES!!!!!!!!!

you call that nice. i don't need abuse. i didn't come here for that.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

Well, have you been successful without weighing your food? Perhaps you can share the strategy you used to create a deficit, day in/day out for weeks at a time for others here who would like to do it without using a food scale.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,144 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    Well it doesn't work that way for everybody. I have been doing it for almost 6 years and I still find it annoying and time consuming. I don't use the app, so I have to weight everything, log it in a piece of paper and then when I have the time enter it in the database. I am a PC person, I don't do apps.

And it takes more than 5 minutes in an entire day unless you eat only one meal. I cook three meals a day for me and my husband, so yes it is time consuming, especially if you have a lot of ingredients to weigh (big salads anyone?), or if you are preparing a big recipe, or if you are using new ingredients that you have to look for in the database (and sometimes are not there so you have to manually enter them).

I log on a PC, and my method is to pre-log everything the night before - using the recipe builder and saved meals to make it quick - and rather than log what I weigh, I weigh out what I already logged. This replaces the use of measuring cups, etc. Essentially, I'm using the log I already created as a recipe to prepare or portion out the meal.

I don't adjust my logs to reflect the actual grams I weighted if they are different, unless the difference is significant (either a large amount off, or a smaller amount of very calorie-dense food).

Thank you but I don't pre-log; I never did, unless I will be eating something that I prepared and freeze ahead of time, which is not too often. Most of the time, I have no idea of what I am going to make for any of my meals so I have to start from scratch.

I appreciate everybody’s ideas, suggestions and recommendations and I am glad that many of you find weighting and logging your food easy and joyful. I don’t, I never did, and reading some of the comments in this threat, I am not the only one.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    grams or ounces. it doesn't matter. the idea is what I meant to say. I think that is the weight watchers approach. it's great if that works for you.

How is the idea any different really from using measuring utensils...which most people don't seem to have an issue with...but then the scale is somehow this crazy thing. It's just a tool and it is faster and more accurate than utensils.

post-58475-Morgan-Freeman-hes-right-you-k-9kKd.jpeg

Plus no measuring cups to wash.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Nothing he said was abusive.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options

I don't see that as abusive at all. Plus it's true. The majority do fail on diets.

If you don't find it motivating, focus on the posts you do find motivating.

However, you're so triggered by it that you may find it useful to step back and reflect on why.

• Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »

Thank you but I don't pre-log; I never did, unless I will be eating something that I prepared and freeze ahead of time, which is not too often. Most of the time, I have no idea of what I am going to make for any of my meals so I have to start from scratch.

I appreciate everybody’s ideas, suggestions and recommendations and I am glad that many of you find weighting and logging your food easy and joyful. I don’t, I never did, and reading some of the comments in this threat, I am not the only one.

In this threat! :astonished: lol I know what you meant. It's a complete and total pain sometimes. I just want to put the food on my plate, and put it in my face. I also know that I'm horrible about judging portions, and that cups and measuring spoons can be vastly incorrect. There are times when I don't, and I do just guesstimate, but I try and be as accurate as possible 90% of the time so I make sure that I'm on track. It's my preference to do so, and it's what I recommend when people claim that after so many weeks they're seeing no progress (to help improve accuracy).
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    If you can start out guessing and are losing weight more power to you. If the losses slow down consider weighing food to be more accurate. You don't have to start there. I didn't for the first three or four months. I've lost over 100lbs since July 2015.
  • Livgetfit
    Livgetfit Posts: 352 Member
    Options

How is the truth abuse? I don't even see how it is aimed at you.

Some people find a way forward, other people find excuses.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options

That's truth not abuse.
    On a public forum , you will find that others may not share the same opinion as you do. That doesn't make it abusive.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,380 Member
    Options

Yup, at home I weigh everything to the gram, except liquids (which I measure).

After a short learning period, it's easy. It's accurate. It makes weight loss into something like a fun science-fair project, understandable and manageable.

For me, it's been extremely successful. And I'm 60 y/o as well as hypothyroid, besides, which some people will tell you makes it hard to lose. SW 183 in April 2015, CW 120 at 5'5" (a little too light, actually), working on figuring out my maintenance calories.
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything at home, except sometimes small side servings of salad leaves or raw spinach, where the margin of error is negligible. I got used to doing it quickly, it only takes a few minutes a day, and it's been so liberating to be able to eat everything in moderation and only restrict calories.
    Every time I weigh something, I use it as an opportunity to teach myself to estimate better - before I put something on the scale I'll try and guess how much it will weigh, or I'll try and eyeball e.g. 40g of oats and then check how close I am and adjust. This helps me estimate better when I eat out :smile:
  • RUNucbar
    RUNucbar Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Weighing in grams is more precise. You don't have to weigh food for ever, it just gets you good at eyeballing portions.

This. I can grab a portion of spaghetti, plonk it on the scales to double check and am within 5g almost every time.