Weighting everything to the ounce. So discouraging.

Options
123457»

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    After a while we get used to portion size and can eye ball most things.... it really is eye opening to see how much we are actually eating, alot of people find after a while they no longer need to measure/weigh their foods.

If you really can't be bothered using food scales, try the hover the hand thing, protein portion is the size of your fist, same goes for carbs, veg is pretty much unlimited.

I do still weigh rice/pasta at times even after being here 4 yrs and and maintenance for 3 - most things I know the portion size by the look of it.

MFP way works :smile: and it only takes a few mins to log foods/use food scale.
  • Cindy01Louisiana
    Cindy01Louisiana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    to tell you the truth, I'm not sure what I would weigh. my vegis? my protein bar? my salad dressing? my prepackaged light string cheese? okay nuts. I could use a measuring cups for nuts. there's nothing I would weigh. what are you eating that you have to weigh? vegis? would you weigh vegis?

ABSOLUTELY the salad dressing!!! Before it goes on the salad! The other night, I made the best salad with tons of veggies - all told, maybe 100 calories. Then I added the salad dressing and weighed again. When I saw that my dressing alone was 400 calories, there I was with a spoon trying to get some of it off!!! So, yes, salad dressing for sure!!!!
  • samanthachen
    samanthachen Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Not everyone does this -- people lost and gained weight long before at-home food scales were a thing, so it's not required. However, it is the easiest and most accurate way to measure your caloric intake.

I was just going to write this, with the following added: The more you have to lose, the more buffer you have for estimating and guessing calories and weights of foods. However the closer you are to goal, food scales will make your life much easier.
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Once you get used to it, it becomes second nature. And I do it to the gram, which is more precise than ounces.

This is the second part I was going to add. At first, I didn't use a scale because I thought it was just too much. I almost immediately changed my mind because I was grossly underestimating bad things, and I was under-eating my proteins out of fear of going over. However, after just a few days of measuring, you don't notice it much. It really isn't bad at all. I enjoy it because I don't question flaws in my calorie counting. It takes away one area of questions, and it really makes me feel like I'm putting forth the best effort in the kitchen. :smiley:
  • samanthachen
    samanthachen Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    to tell you the truth, I'm not sure what I would weigh. my vegis? my protein bar? my salad dressing? my prepackaged light string cheese? okay nuts. I could use a measuring cups for nuts. there's nothing I would weigh. what are you eating that you have to weigh? vegis? would you weigh vegis?

Especially nuts! They are the worst (I mean calorie logic. Not in nutrition. They are wonderful for nutrition). You'd be surprised how few nuts it takes to get you 100+ calories over your guess.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options

chicken, fish, steak, cheese, salad dressing, sauces, yogurt, cottage cheese, fruits, potatoes, milk, rice, tortilla chips, pretzels, chocolate, hummus, peanut butter, apples, syrup, pancake mix,

In short, FOOD