Loose Skin?

Options
I have a lot of weight to lose, and I'm curious if there are any women out there in their 30s who have lost 80+ pounds...do you have loose skin? if not, what if anything did you do to prevent it? If so, does it bother you, or is it like a trophy?

I'm 21 pounds into a 150 pound weight loss journey, and I've never seen my body small. I'm really looking forward to knowing what that will be like.

Replies

• victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I've lost 82 lbs and I'm 33. The only loose skin I have is my stomach but that has more to do with the four babies I've had I think.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Oh and I guess my boobs are pretty saggy but again nursing 4 babies combined with the weight loss is probably more to blame.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Just about every client I've had that's had more than 80lbs to lose, had loose skin. Genetics and age will have a lot to do with how much there is. There are NO PRODUCTS or non surgical procedures that one can use to reduce it. Normally, I'd give 2 years for the person to see how retraction goes. If it doesn't retract by 2 years, then it's likely that acceptance or surgery are the next options.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • CourtLHM
    CourtLHM Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    It's all in genetics, how fast you loose the weight, diet. I lost 100lbs before and loose belly skin was only noticeable in plank position. "No excuse mom" talks a lot about this subject on Facebook. Lots of women post their pics on there regarding this subject. Not sure if you've had babies though.
  • faithsstaircase
    faithsstaircase Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    No babies yet, but I do plan on it at some point. I'm not really concerned about it so much as curious. I'm thinking genetics won't be on my side. I come from a long line of obesity.

I have a bunch of scars from surgeries and such, so I will just try to view it as a scar of weight loss. :-)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    No babies yet, but I do plan on it at some point. I'm not really concerned about it so much as curious. I'm thinking genetics won't be on my side. I come from a long line of obesity.

I have a bunch of scars from surgeries and such, so I will just try to view it as a scar of weight loss. :-)

great attitude!

ive lost 84 pounds and dont have any loose skin YET.... though i have a bit more to go, so we shall see. i expect my tummy to have some (have also had 2 kids though not sure how big a part that plays)
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    33 and I've lost 80 plus 25 from a pregnancy in between. Yes, I have loose skin on my stomach. I'm not terribly bothered by it. I knew going into this that I wasn't going to look like a bikini model. Even though I'm not perfect, I'm happy with my body. I'd rather have the loose skin than the 80 lbs back.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    I'd rather have the loose skin than the 80 lbs back.

boy isnt that the truth!

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm still in my 20's (26 to be exact) and I have loose skin. I've also had 2 boys by csection (1 prior to weight loss and 1 mid journey) which probably does factor into my loose skin. Mine is on my lower abdomen and kind of easy to hide since it's right above my csection line. I originally set a goal of 130 lbs ( that was actual weight and would also be weight lost as well). When I got there though, my lower abdomen were the loose skin is still had some fat in it that made the area about a quarter to half an inch thick (more if I was bloated) and still wrinkly on top, so I went a bit lower and it's deflating some now (getting close to 140 lb loss). My boobs are a bit saggy too, but somehow that doesn't bother me as much. My stomach however does and I'm hoping it will tighten. If not I will probably get surgery.

Granted, I do know it could be much worse. I'll take it over being 260 lbs though. I made this comparison pic this morning for myself to see the changes in the last 9.8 lbs, but it shows approximately where I'm at now:
    p1v26d9bkgaw.jpg
  • CourtLHM
    CourtLHM Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    I'd rather have the loose skin than the 80 lbs back.

boy isnt that the truth!

Me too!! As for that, there's pretty things that can help hold stuff together! Haha
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I've lost 82 lbs and I'm 33. The only loose skin I have is my stomach but that has more to do with the four babies I've had I think.

I lost 60 lbs (1/3 of my body weight) and was perfectly happy to accept the loose skin, since I did it for my health, not my appearance. But I was surprised that after a year, the only saggy bits left were my stomach and my boobs, and that's probably from a baby like the poster above. It does take a bit of time, but your body may well surprise you!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I was 29 and 220 pounds, I'm 150 pounds now and have little loose skin. It's mostly noticeable when I'm bending over.
  • faithsstaircase
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm excited for the future loose skin or not. :)
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    IMO, the key to keeping skin as tight as possible is exercise and hydration (both tons of water and body lotion). I've lost over 100 lbs and have a bit of loose skin - but I'm 25 years older than you are. Good luck with your journey - you can do this!
  • faithsstaircase
    Options
    Thanks! I'm drinking water like crazy but I'm terrible about lotion. I do take leutein (sp?) Supplements that are supposed to assist with the loose skin issue.
  • queenscorpio73
    queenscorpio73 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I had lost 115 the last time at age 36. It was slowly coming back before getting pregnant lol. My arms were really loose and yes, it was my trophy! People would ask how much I lost. Midland they were/are. I used to wear 3/4 sleeves all the time, then said fk it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'm drinking water like crazy but I'm terrible about lotion. I do take leutein (sp?) Supplements that are supposed to assist with the loose skin issue.
    You don't have to worry about lotion, unless you deal with dry skin. Topicals do nothing for loose skin on a permanent basis. Loose skin is about the dermis and topicals only affect epidermis.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Now I can't say whether Gelatin/collagen works or not. I have been taking it for a long time, and I have no loose skin. Maybe it was the product or maybe I wasn't going to get any anyway. But it can't hurt to incorporate it into your diet.
    This is an Aussie brand, you guys in the US have a similar one made by Great Lakes. It has no taste or smell.

• Christine_72
    edited March 2016
    Options
  • Christine_72
    Options