Shy about benching barbell...

Options
IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
edited March 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I've been doing dumbbell benches because I've been afraid of getting under an olympic bar without a spotter. How do I know when I'm ready to handle a barbell. I know the weights don't translate across because of stabilization, form etc. SO, I thought I'd ask some advise. See what everyone thinks...

ETA- I'm doing 3x10 overhead presses with a bar and 3x10 deadlift with bar plus 10lb plates, yet I'm using 15 lb dumbells (per) at 3x10. If that helps... I might just be hesitant in my own ability? I've been strength training 2 days a week for 3 weeks (30 mins per) with swimming as a third day. If any of that helps.

Replies

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    More like smart, not shy. Use a rack/cage with safeties, or get a pair of saw horses if you are using a regular bench. Then you don't need a spotter as you'll have something to put the weight down on if you fail.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You should be able to do more with a BB than DBs.

If you are concerned about benching without a spotter, what about getting into a power cage (Squat Rack) with catch bars set at chest level so if you drop it, you don't get hurt? Just bring an adjustable bench to the rack, or you could ask someone nearby to spot you on the regular bench press station.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    You should be able to do more with a BB than DBs.

If you are concerned about benching without a spotter, what about getting into a power cage (Squat Rack) with catch bars set at chest level so if you drop it, you don't get hurt? Just bring an adjustable bench to the rack, or you could ask someone nearby to spot you on the regular bench press station.

Pretty much what I came to say- either ask someone- or set up the power cage- I use it all the time. let me see if I can find a video to show you how.

LOL- funny story- two guys took over the power cage one day after I was done with it- and guess what... they were benching.
    And the one guy kept squeezing between the headspace and mirror to spot the guy- and they took out the safety rails.

um.

wut? like. I get getting a quick help at the end of your set and want to finish the reps out and might be struggling- but the point of benching in there with the rails is to not need a spot. <thisismetryingnottojudgeyou>
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    You should be fine. I resisted for awhile as well and was using those fixed barbells. At some point those just became awkward so I knew I had to just get under the bar. Just clench it and go.
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    You can always use the smith machine? It isn't going to be representative of what you can do on a free barbell weight-wise, but it is closer to barbell than using dumbbells?
  • erickirb
    Options
    aub6689 wrote: »
    You can always use the smith machine? It isn't going to be representative of what you can do on a free barbell weight-wise, but it is closer to barbell than using dumbbells?

I would stick with Dumbbells over this machine as the machine forces you on its track, not your natural plane of motion, which could lead to injury. I only use the smith if the dumbells are not heavy enough and I don't have a spotter (no power rack in my condo's gym).
  • JoRocka
    Options

how much does the smith machine bar weigh?
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

It varies. Often times it is 25-45lb bar, but it is counter balanced so it can be pushed up much more easily. It is a good thing for people transitioning into a barbell bench in my opinion. Especially if the squat rack is being used and you aren't wanting to get a spot.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Just do it. Either grab a spot or use the rack. I remember when I used to be nervous about actually using one of the benches. Now it's one of my favorite things in the world to do.
  • JoRocka
    Options

It varies. Often times it is 25-45lb bar, but it is counter balanced so it can be pushed up much more easily. It is a good thing for people transitioning into a barbell bench in my opinion. Especially if the squat rack is being used and you aren't wanting to get a spot.

I would argue the opposite- it has no real known weight value so trying to carry that weight to a real bench makes it more complicated and it's completely not helpful for transitioning as it gives you no sense of actual weight- and no sense of actually having to move the bar in space yourself.

But it is good for sitting on between sets.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    definitely have someone spot you the first time you unrack the press the barbell. Its a completely different movement than dumbells and you should feel how it works before you do it alone.

don't use the smith machine unless you have some kinda injury and need the assistance of a machine.
  • SonyaCele
    Options

I would argue the opposite- it has no real known weight value so trying to carry that weight to a real bench makes it more complicated and it's completely not helpful for transitioning as it gives you no sense of actual weight- and no sense of actually having to move the bar in space yourself.

But it is good for sitting on between sets.

Its good for me to hang my gym bag on so it doesn't touch the floor.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Best use of a Smith machine I've seen at my gym? Our one power cage and one squat rack were in use. A woman was doing OHP at the Smith.

But wait! It's not what you're thinking!

Below is a picture of the (generic) type of SM we have. This woman was using the pins where you store the unused plates as bar holder between sets. F'ing Genius.

bodymasters-counter-balanced-smith-machine_4.jpg

edit: Actually, that's the exact model of SM we have, so it's not generic.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    My measure for if I could bench with a barbell safely was whether or not I thought dropping the loaded bar on myself would cause damage beyond bruising or a strain from trying to control the bar.

I can imagine unusual scenarios where dropping an empty 45 lb bar from a couple feet up, which would be worst case, would do more than bruise but they'd be awfully unlikely if you're making any attempt at controlling or deflecting the bar and you don't have abnormally fragile bones.

Once you get used to the movement, I'd practice bailing out of a failed lift (roll of shame - everyone does one eventually). That'd let you load the bar for a bit with more confidence.

But, if you don't feel comfortable without a spotter or safety cage at any point, you should use one and not feel embarrassed. Anyone that thinks you're being overcautious can go pound sand.
  • erickirb
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    My measure for if I could bench with a barbell safely was whether or not I thought dropping the loaded bar on myself would cause damage beyond bruising or a strain from trying to control the bar.

I can imagine unusual scenarios where dropping an empty 45 lb bar from a couple feet up, which would be worst case, would do more than bruise but they'd be awfully unlikely if you're making any attempt at controlling or deflecting the bar and you don't have abnormally fragile bones.

Once you get used to the movement, I'd practice bailing out of a failed lift (roll of shame - everyone does one eventually). That'd let you load the bar for a bit with more confidence.

But, if you don't feel comfortable without a spotter or safety cage at any point, you should use one and not feel embarrassed. Anyone that thinks you're being overcautious can go pound sand.

learning to bail is good, but still do it in the cage, like squats, and learn to bail with the safety rails, and keep lifting with the rails and bail that way if needed. I have never done the roll of shame, would be difficult with the amount I lift vs. my own weight, I would not suggest it, no spot, no rails, stick with dumbbells.
  • SonyaCele
    Options
    you should never be benching so heavy by yourself that you drop the bar. Worst case senario you'd be benching a set and stall on the way up on your last rep or two. But you should know your weights well enough to feel when you've pushed the last rep you have strength for, and then rack it unless you have a spotter.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    you should never be benching so heavy by yourself that you drop the bar. Worst case senario you'd be benching a set and stall on the way up on your last rep or two. But you should know your weights well enough to feel when you've pushed the last rep you have strength for, and then rack it unless you have a spotter.

True, but every once in a while people think they can reach that last one, or their pride gets in the way, or even just your shoulder slips on the bench and you lose core tightness.

Benching without safeties or at minimum a spotter who can lift the weight is stupid, but that doesn't stop most of us.
  • SonyaCele
    Options
    well yeah definitely have safety rails if you don't have a spotter. i dropped a dumbbell mid rep last week when chest pressing and it whacked my wrist on the way down and i still have a bruise.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Y
    I've been doing dumbbell benches because I've been afraid of getting under an olympic bar without a spotter. How do I know when I'm ready to handle a barbell. I know the weights don't translate across because of stabilization, form etc. SO, I thought I'd ask some advise. See what everyone thinks...

ETA- I'm doing 3x10 overhead presses with a bar and 3x10 deadlift with bar plus 10lb plates, yet I'm using 15 lb dumbells (per) at 3x10. If that helps... I might just be hesitant in my own ability? I've been strength training 2 days a week for 3 weeks (30 mins per) with swimming as a third day. If any of that helps.

IMO 15# Dumbbells in each hand are harder to lift than a barbell. I tried step-ups with a 35# Kettlebell and then a barbell. Barbell felt so much lighter (distributed weight).

Bench in the cage like everyone is saying. Research bench tutorials on YT. Use leg drive.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    stealthq wrote: »

learning to bail is good, but still do it in the cage, like squats, and learn to bail with the safety rails, and keep lifting with the rails and bail that way if needed. I have never done the roll of shame, would be difficult with the amount I lift vs. my own weight, I would not suggest it, no spot, no rails, stick with dumbbells.

I would imagine you do bench that much.

For me, no problem even if I were to lose control of a 90 lb barbell which is the heaviest I've ever been able to bench. A 90 lb barbell doesn't pin me or prevent me from breathing, even sitting squarely on my chest. I can't drop it on my head or neck by accident because the bench rack prevents it.

I am taking the risk that I won't let the thing free-fall from full extension, which would definitely do damage. But then, I'd be taking a risk with dumbbells, too. Less chance of controlling 2 independent objects in free-fall (and possibly dropping those on my head because there'd be no bench rack) than there is of deflecting a bar to the side to my mind.

FTR, 90 lbs is pretty close to as heavy as I'm comfortable with outside of a safety cage/spotter. Another 15-20 lbs and I could see getting pinned if I were already tired.