why is losing weight so hard

Replies

• sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Yurie222 wrote: »
    I totally agree. I haven't lose weight at all.... It passing almost two weeks.....bleh

See this is the issue^^^^ Almost 2 weeks? PATIENCE. You can't expect things to happen instantaneously.

@boyter77 It's a process...it takes time is the bottom line and the first step is learning Calories In/Calories Out. Give this site a try. Log everything. Be honest when you have bad days as well as good. Seek help from the MFP community. Read the Success Stories. It can be done. This is your first step. I wish you well. You can do this!
  • lml852014
    lml852014 Posts: 243 Member
    You've gotta really want it, keep going forward, and doing give up so easily! I used to give up when I didnt lose after a month or so, dont do it!
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    edited March 2016
    Not to put this particular guy on the spot but this is how he started. he is one of my MFP friends so I see him constantly putting in the effort, blogging, updating, and he is yielding results....the healthy way through the ups and downs of trying to figure this new way of life. You should message him and follow his progress. It may give you a little motivation. This was his initial post when he started 2 months ago.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10317755/560lbs-long-way-to-go-who-has-my-back/p1
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    xtina315 wrote: »
    Life is hard in general. But you have to stand strong and fight back, to get your health back.

THIS!!!
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    surgery isn't easy. If you don't have the willpower now to resist temptation, then surgery will be a nightmare for you. I have a friend going through it and I honestly couldn't live like that post op. I can be honest with myself.

Just be patient. I have to tell myself that I have to repeat good days more than twice to see results.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited March 2016
    Losing weight is hard because good is good! But staying overweight is even harder, because of the pain, medical conditions, lethargy, difficulty moving, and poor self image that often accompany it.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 650 Member
    Losing weight is actually easy. It's the maintaining that's hard - at least, that's been my experience.
  • chel325
    chel325 Posts: 199 Member
    anything worth having in life is hard

this is something I always remind myself of. If it's easy it's nothing special or worth it.
  • Vanessalookingood
    Vanessalookingood Posts: 135 Member
    Think long and hard before surgery. I've seen videos on youtube and there have been people who had a lot of problems post-surgery such as, diarrhea and basically felt I'll when overeating or eating a high fat meal. I personally would prefer to learn new healthy eating/lifestyle, than put myself at risk for future lifelong complications, not to mention some people come out of surgery don't know proper eating habits and don't even lose much because they end up stretching out their stomachs again from overeating.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    come on, get your eating in a calorie deficit and lose!! You can do it and once you get on a roll, you will love it! It's just starting that is hard, once you get going it gets much easier. You can get creative with food and have all kinds of choices!
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Losing weight is actually very very easy- it's a science. It's sticking to it during the tough times- those stalls on the scale, that birthday cake in the office, the craving for a second serving- that's hard.

And as mentioned by others, surgery will absolutely not fix that relationship with food. Surgery will help you lose weight quickly (which, remember, is already the easy part) but will not help you develop a better relationship with food.

Stick with us at MFP for a year or two and then consider weight loss surgery. There will be super hard days. But there will also be days where you run an extra minute on the treadmill, feel your heart beat slower, feel your pants fall down as you walk, and play an extra hour outside with your kids, and then you realize that all of those really hard days are TOTALLY worth it.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Yes, weight loss is very hard. Because it requires habit change. Changing habits is hard. Ask reformed smokers. You might get some insight from Duhigg's book on Habit. Also, check out John Glaude's videos on YouTube, ObeseToBeast. He got a lot of satisfaction from going through a weight lifting regimen and I'm guessing you might too.

I went for the bypass surgery coming up to two years ago. It has worked well for me. I still had all the hard work that goes along with habit change. If I tried to portion out a meal like I used to, I'd get sick pretty fast.
  • bubbajoe1066
    bubbajoe1066 Posts: 95 Member
    high blood pressure is hard. diabetes is hard, high cholesterol is hard....losing weight isn't all that hard. dealing with everything associated with not losing weight is far more difficult..

80 days on this new journey ,down 40 lbs so far... 60 to go.

it takes time and patience, trust me when i say MFP works. no potions, powders, pills or surgery

set your goal, how much weight you want to lose per week...... log your food, every single bite. eat at a calorie deficit and don't eat back calories from exercise... this is key.. this is how i managed to lose 1/2 pound a day on average... i eat my calories for the day but do not eat back any and i mean any calories i earn from exercise.

Get a fitness tracker... i have a fitbit charge, my best friend i take it everywhere LOL ,it is a great motivator. could barley hit the 10 k when i started... yesterday i did 22,3087 k... l've said this before but its true "if i can do this anyone can" i'm 55 have 100 lbs to lose.... no ..i have 60 lbs to lose.

you owe it to yourself to get healthy.
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    boyter77 wrote: »
    41 and struggling to lose weight. I am thinking so hard about the gastro bypass.

Here are some things that are really hard: not fitting into a booth at a restaurant; being afraid of breaking friend's and family's furniture; not getting a job because being morbidly obese means unhealthy; living with back and knee pain; getting easily winded; having to buy a more expensive vehicle to have tummy room and not go over the vehicle's weight limits; the expense of buying massive amounts of food; the emotional turmoil of being left behind when everyone else is out having fun.... The list goes on and on.

Gastro bypass may be an answer if everything else fails. What people don't see is that even after surgery a person cannot go back to eating like he or she did before. By weighing, measuring, and logging everything you eat you can see a picture of why you've become this way. If it's 6,000 calories, you still log it. Then when you look back you realize that 2 slices of pizza would have better than the whole thing. You think how that Coke or Monster really didn't get you going like you thought it would. Maybe a few tall waters would have been a better idea. Some people come to realize that they drink too much and they decide it's time to cut back on alcohol.

The point is, it is easier to navigate losing weight if you can see what you are actually eating and drinking. After the first 20 - 40 pounds you can consider a little exercise but it's really not necessary when you're starting out. The biggie is knowing how many calories you are consuming and how many calories you are burning. Then you eat fewer than you use.

I hope this helps because there is nothing worse than the humiliation of having to buy two airplane seats to accommodate the extra size.
  • jabberwocky918
    jabberwocky918 Posts: 50 Member
    OP, have faith in yourself! Love your body to keep you motivated! You've been born into ONE body this life, don't you want to make the best of it? You deserve it! Try baby steps... like a new years resolution but each month; like quit soda the first month, then switch empty carbs like white bread with wheat, etc. Sure, it won't *taste* as good BUT you will feel better and healthier! And then once you try to have a crappy cheat day, you won't feel as good about it... it will feel like your body is rejecting the over-processed food! Add some friends and post any challenges in MFP boards! Keep at it, OP!
  • krazgrl
    krazgrl Posts: 86 Member
    I've struggled for a long time with my weight (Since September, I've lost 59lbs to date and still have another 20ish to go).

After always being so down and depressed about my weight and always saying, "I will someday get started" I finally found my someday. For me, it was some coworkers wanting to do a Biggest Loser challenge. They approached me on a Monday to see if I would join. I asked when it would start. They said, "this Wednesday". I was about to not join - 2 days notice?! I was slightly panicked. Then I just decided I would, regardless of that upcoming wedding and that trip to Vegas that would fall into my challenge time frame. You know what? I won it. I actually blew people out of the water. I lost over 16% of my weight and the runner up lost 8% of hers. I wanted to prove it to MYSELF that I could actually stick to it this time.

Weight loss truly is a mental challenge more than a physical. Everything is hard. You just have to chose which one is worth your effort. I've always liked memes like this:

losingweightishard.jpg

One thing that has REALLY helped me on this journey is my 2 question perspective on food before I "indulge":
    1. Have I had it before? (If yes - That means I don't need it right now. If no - go to question 2.)
    2. Can I get it again? (If yes - I don't need it right now. If no - eat it in moderation. If it's special like an Iron Chef prepared meal, eat it all!)

Change your mind first before you consider going under the knife. I know a few people who managed to gain a lot of weight after GB because they never fixed the cause of the problem: their relationships with food. I also spoke to a friend about her experience at Overeater's Anonymous and found a lot of insight about my own eating habits. It's amazing how many of us have foods that provide comfort to a certain trigger... Seriously, fix these and the weight loss will be a snap. Best of luck on your journey!!
  • White_hibiscus
    White_hibiscus Posts: 1,594 Member
    elinor32 wrote: »
    Getting up early is hard/getting motivated when you come home is hard. Saying no to delicious food is hard. Logging your food is hard. Working out is hard. Really hard. Not wanting seconds, or thirds, or fourths, is hard. Seeing others eat what they want and look skinnier than you - it's hard. Feeling bad about yourself, sometimes depressed, and not associating it with food - it's hard. It's all so tough. But something clicks and you say, I can do a little today. Then you can do a little more tomorrow. Habits are hard to change. But so many great people are testament to it here - you can change. You can move a little more. You can eat a little less. By the time you feel good about that, you feel a stronger and healthier and sleep better and notice that the stairs aren't so hard, you move even MORE. You can do this.

Love this

• endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    OP,

It's hard because you might not have the right tools. Seriously, building something good requires not just your own skills, or simply wanting it badly but also proper tools and process.

If something is hard, break it down to little chunks. Divide and conquer. Use techniques that are available to us who are an advanced species!!!!

Specifically, slowly withdraw from foods that induce you to eat more. Use psychology, motivation, imagery, visualization, behavioral modification techniques. Attack all fronts.

I'm having a lot of success by controlling my cravings and hungers -- like I'll eat less when I feel eating is a chore -- and increasing my activities and exercises -- I can't wait to do them to experience all the adrenaline high.

Don't struggle blindly. :)