Any other frustrated baker?

Options

Replies

• mrspaws91
    mrspaws91 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Turns out it isn't the eating I enjoy, it's the act of baking.
    This is so true for daughters and me. We love to decorate cakes, but no one here really wants to eat them.
    So we seek out people and places to donate our goods. Youth group having a fund raiser? I'll make a cake! Hubby's office celebrating an accident free year? We'll make cupcakes! A friend had a baby? We'll send a small cake along with a meal for the new family!

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i make stuff, portion out what we will eat, and give the rest away.

my friends really love me when i bake. LOLOL
  • haviegirl
    haviegirl Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. I love baking, and both my husband and I love eating the things I bake. Definitely not okay with our deficits now.

One thing I've done, with things like banana bread, is bake them in small loaf pans--about 5"X2"X2" size (a recipe that would fill a full size loaf pan=3 small loaf pans). I calculate the calorie per/gram value and post it on a sticky note. It's hard to slice a full size loaf into thin slices that fit our calories, but it's easy to cut an inch or so of the smaller loaf and still hit our goals. Feels, somehow, like a substantial piece, even though it's quite small.

Otherwise I send baked goods to work with my adult daughter.

Police and fire stations are good places to donate baked goods, along with all the other great suggestions others have made.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Why would you spend hours looking at recipes online knowing you cannot make them? That seems like a waste.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    Why would you spend hours looking at recipes online knowing you cannot make them? That seems like a waste.

It's amazing what I'll do when I have a paper due! :laugh:

OP, you have been here a long time and have been quite successful, is this just becoming an issue now, or did you just not notice it? I know when I get focused on one thing, I can forget to consider other things. Can you do the baking and then share the finished product with other people? Coworkers? Senior centre? Neighbours?

ETA: missed word :blushing:
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    I just make what I can eat, or make a batch and eat part and impose share the rest with my coworkers.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Alluminati wrote: »

It's amazing what I'll do when I have a paper due! :laugh:

OP, you have been here a long and have been quite successful, is this just becoming an issue now, or did you just not notice it? I know when I get focused on one thing, I can forget to consider other things. Can you do the baking and then share the finished product with other people? Coworkers? Senior centre? Neighbours?

I understand doing it if you are stalling. I don't get obssessing and feeling sorry over the fact that you cannot eat them anymore. I like the idea of sharing the wealth, though.

Then again, co-worker sabotage >:)
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I share with neighbors. :):):) Then I'm generous, can bake at will and it's out of my house!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I kind of have a strange solution lol. I work in an area that has a lot of homeless. When I bake too many treats I bring them to work and give them to them (I've worked there for years so I know their hideaways). I also do this when well meaning relatives try to give me stuff I'm allergic to. They are always extremely grateful to received them. Not sure where you live, but perhaps that is an option? I know most food banks won't take home made goods, but if you are giving it to them directly, you bypass that issue.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I kind of have a strange solution lol. I work in an area that has a lot of homeless. When I bake too many treats I bring them to work and give them to them (I've worked there for years so I know their hideaways). I also do this when well meaning relatives try to give me stuff I'm allergic to. They are always extremely grateful to received them. Not sure where you live, but perhaps that is an option? I know most food banks won't take home made goods, but if you are giving it to them directly, you bypass that issue.

Nice!
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Vacuum seal, give to coworkers, find places to donate. My work (industrial kitchen) does a staff lunch once a month and I always bake a few desserts for that. My local spca frequently does bake sale fundraisers, and I love doings cupcakes and cookies to help them. My kids always have home made goodies in their school lunches, and I bake for their birthdays and class parties.
    I make a killer brioche, I love it and I will fit a loaf into my calories in 2-3 days, or I will turn it into French toast for the family. My neighbors don't mind some extra goodies either.

I'm a baker by trade, I've become an expert at giving away the stuff I make.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I love baking. I'm a grad student, so I tend to bring most of the batch to the department. The only problem is that there are several other bakers and most of us are reasonably health conscious, so I think people are starting to get unhappy with how often the temptations appear! :P
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I've been spending hours looking up recipes online... knowing full well that I'll probably never get to make all that stuff because I just don't have the calories for it (well a piece, sure, but not a whole batch, and my kids usually don't eat that stuff. I don't know what planet they are from).

The struggle is real.

How do you all deal with it? I mean, I try to take advantage of Holidays to make some, but that's 3x a year and half the time other people want to make dessert...

I turn off the computer and go for a walk. Works for me. :)
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Oh this is so my problem!!! I love to bake and I love making up recipes--which leads to lots of tasting until it is 'right' I have actually started selling my cakes. I also make personalized cakes or cupcakes for all my friends' birthdays or any special occasion. In addition, I fuel a lot of bake sales for different causes. I can't freeze or keep what I bake in the house, so although I unfortunately taste the components, I have found that there are a lot of people more than happy to take cakes and cupcakes off my hands.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Eat the one slice, mail the rest to me.
    Also, based on many Yogi Bear and other cartoons, I'm assured that if you warm it up and leave it on the window sill, it will vanish.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Offer your baking services to your local school, church or scout troop. They always seem to be having bake sales.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I love baking. Maybe even more than eating the delicious treats I make but still eat way too many calories. We have a senior center in town that serves lunch 3 days a week. They can't serve what I make because of food safety laws. What they can do is leave the treats out for the people to take home. It is so much fun. They are really appreciative and I get to bake. I have been doing it for 2 months. It has eased my frustration. I have made some new friends. It has just been great!

I like the idea of searching out bake sales. The schools here have all events online.

Single serving baking saves me too. Although french pastry is too much time and trouble for 1 or 2 servings!
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I forgot this. I am going to bake a bunch of cookies and brownies and take them to my daughter's dorm during quiet week before exams. If you know a college student...
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Yep. Freezer, take in to work, give to friends, bake a lot for holidays.
    All of the above works.

Trash, if the results are on the south side of so-so.

I try to bake only once per week but not weeks when other family members are baking, because I often get their leftovers, too.