Meal ideas for 1? Help!

Options
MegsHutch90
MegsHutch90 Posts: 72 Member
Hey all!

I love to cook, but with a busy lifestyle I really only have time on the weekends to food prep for the week. I'm a big fan of anything that can be frozen then reheated (mind you, I don't own a microwave). The problem I have is that I am currently single, and it's HARD to find recipes for one person. Any ideas or good resources? No pasta dishes please.

Replies

• daremightythings
    daremightythings Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I do a ton of meal prep for 1. On weekends I batch cook things like beans, lentils, quinoa, rice, and keep containers in the fridge. I also chop bell peppers, cucumbers, etc. Every morning I portion out how much I want for lunch and add them to a tupperware. I can't do reheated meat, so I do end up cooking chicken fresh every morning. The way I time-save with that is to buy in bulk and then I make 150 gram packets of chicken and freeze. Every night after work I defrost the next day's chicken so it's ready for me to cook in the morning. I'll make and eat breakfast and then cook my chicken in the same skillet I just made my eggs in to save dishes and time.

I also buy string cheese, single serve hummus, guacamole, etc. and kind of cheat my way to meal prep by buying things I don't have to prep. Single serve is really the way to go for a single human. Hope some of that helps!
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Stir fry
    Slow cooker or overnight oats
    Frozen homemade burritos
    Soups or chilis
  • MegsHutch90
    Options
    The slow cooker has become my best friend :)

I forget about stir fry sometimes, but I need to start making that again! Thanks!
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I have someone else living here right now, and hopefully not for much longer, but before that, I always found/made recipes that were four servings, cooked them and put them in Tupperware. that way I only cooked twice a week and had enough food for 4 days each time. Everything was ready to go and portioned and it made things so much easier. For cooking and for staying on track. I find that most recipes are 4 servings, sometimes 6 and that really works for me. What kind of foods do you like to eat?
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I've spent years cooking for 1 and the best thing I've done now to stay on track with my dieting is cook for six, divide into six portions, and then freeze what I don't eat for future meals. I genuinely don't know why I didn't think of this further. Now I have the time for so many more homecooked meals!
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I just discovered sheet pan suppers. It is cooking everything in the oven on one sheet pan. To me the recipes can easily be reduced to one. Check this Domestic Geek video out. The fajitas were great! https://youtube.com/watch?v=Qp8Tc4ncJgI
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    First of all, get yourself a microwave (if feasible/possible)!!!

Secondly, check out my two recent posts about Hearty White Bean Minestrone (make a big batch in the slow cooker on Sunday, divide it up and you've got lunch for DAYS. If you don't have a slow-cooker, start early in the day and let it simmer in a big covered pot on your stove for about the same amount of time) and Brownie Batter Overnight Protein Oatmeal (again...make it on Sunday and you're set on breakfast all week...the best part is that you can eat the oats cold!).

Also, I always HIGHLY recommend anything on BudgetBytes.com. The girl who blogs is single and cooks for herself all the time, but the recipes are always for 4-6 servings so they're reheatable. She has an entire section of freezeable recipes. Her recipes are simple, delicious, and easy to follow and they include step-by-step pictures.
  • MegsHutch90
    Options
    Thanks all- great ideas! I will definitely be checking those sites/ YouTube videos out!

It's not about being able to get a microwave- I don't really want a microwave. It enables me to be less conscious about what I am eating, and I have found ways to reheat anything and everything in other ways. (I'm kind of old fashioned; when I moved, I didn't have internet for almost 2 years and I loved it haha).
  • always_smilin_D
    always_smilin_D Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Buy the packs of meats, season, separate in to individual servings and use freezer bags - you can even weigh and sharpie the weight on the bag ;) -- brown rice keeps in the fridge for up to 7 days and keeps as fresh as the first day cooked (it can be pan heated) -- frozen veggies are your friend as well... hmmm
  • JLG1986
    JLG1986 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'll prep salads and snack bags on Sundays - helps me stay on track. And I'm a big fan of quiche - crustless quiche especially can be pretty low cal!
  • MegsHutch90
    Options
    I have someone else living here right now, and hopefully not for much longer, but before that, I always found/made recipes that were four servings, cooked them and put them in Tupperware. that way I only cooked twice a week and had enough food for 4 days each time. Everything was ready to go and portioned and it made things so much easier. For cooking and for staying on track. I find that most recipes are 4 servings, sometimes 6 and that really works for me. What kind of foods do you like to eat?

I eat a lot of wild game and fish that either I or my family harvested- I don't really buy meat at the store. I love veggies and fruits in general, but I am allergic to tomatoes and don't like spicy things :)
  • MegsHutch90
    Options
    Quiche! Somehow, I never think of that when I am recipe surfing, and it's always so good!
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I like frittatas, the crustless quiche :smiley: Most of my prep is microwave reheat, and for me it's more about convenience than it is less conscious about eating. For lunches I usually make big batches of whatever meat I have and portion that out for the week along with vegetables. Freeze what might go bad, and I'm ready for the week, no having to rush around in the mornings. I need to get better about dinners, because I'm lazy cooking for one, but usually it's some pasta (brown rice or quinoa) and some pepped up sauce, chicken pan cooked with a little oil, and whatever veg I have on hand. Or more likely a lean cuisine (microwave strikes again).
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I love making stir frys, fajitas, crockpot meals... I also freeze meat in single servings. So sometimes I'll have baked chicken thighs and sweet potatoes etc. Cauliflower crust pizza is awesome for single serving b/c you can essentially eat the whole thing :). Etc, buy bulk, freeze single. I also do not have a microwave.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Eggs, oatmeal, grilled sandwiches, quesadilla, wraps, burritos, stir fry, salad, personal pizza, baked potato are pretty easy to make for 1 person.
    Since you are busy, making a larger 4-6 serving recipe and putting the extra portions in the freezer/refrigerator or eating makes sense. Soup is great to freeze and reheat.
    Use frozen vegetables so you only take out and cook what you need.
    Use a pita, tortilla, bread, bagel, etc for a pizza crust, top it and bake 10 minutes or so for a quick one person pizza. You can use up some leftover meats or vegetables on pizza. I use leftover spaghetti sauce on pizza.
    Use a grill to cook one burger, one piece of chicken, or one steak.
    You could pre-cook portions of a meal. Cook a larger amount of meat-chicken for example- and divide it up. You can freeze it to add to recipes in future or use it the next few days. Add it to a salad, sandwich, eggs, taco, burrito, soup, stir fry, casseroles. You can also pre-cook beans, lentils, or rice.
    Reduce the recipes. I cook for 2-3 people and often just make half a recipe. It makes the amount of leftovers manageable. Leftovers are for lunches.
    Look for cooking for two recipes. http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/publication/cooking-for-two-magazinehttp://allrecipes.com/recipes/476/everyday-cooking/cooking-for-two/
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I try to re-purpose part of a big meal. I roast a 3 or 4 lb chicken, cut off the meat for a few sandwiches or tacos or add to a salad. I also save the bones and make soup.

Saute greens with onion, garlic, a bit of sausage - add chicken or any broth. add in any vegetable, white beans. Awesome soup!

I'm a big fan of lentils. They cook quickly and you can add a multitude of add-ins like onion, garlic, ginger. maybe some of your gamey meats. Add curry spice and coconut milk. or over some rice or cous cous.

How about chili. Awesome to freeze. Nothing like finding 2 or 3 portions of chili in the freezer when you have nothing to eat. Can serve over a baked potato (white or sweet), polenta, rice, cous cous.

Use quick cooking grains. I boil a cup of water and add in 3 T yellow corn meal. whisk for 5 to 15 minutes. works great with Mexican or Mediterranean. Or cous cous - done in 10 min total.
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Holly_Wood_888 Posts: 264 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I am meat ball crazy. I will prep 2-3 pounds of meatballs from raw venison, chicken or turkey burger on the weekend, eat that for a few days. Veggies are tougher - I find that I buy a lot of bell peppers and carrots and mushrooms because veggies do need to be prepped every night or every couple days. I dislike frozen veggies !

If I don't have time to cook anything I will grab deli meat that is low in fat, organic baby carrots and fruit. My other fave is Chili ! Which doesnt taste much different reheated after being frozen and I often prepare Hard Boiled Eggs in the evenings to have on hand .

I plan on making my own energy bars and cooking more lentils and quinoa this summer.
  • Pob25
    Pob25 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I work shifts, and got into some really bad habits with 'Ping' dinners, I wish I'd never bought a microwave!
    I do what some of the others have said and cook massively too much, then I portion it out in freezer bags and freeze. Its all home made goodies that i really enjoy cooking from scratch like chilli, soup, stew, curry etc.
    Then I just grab and go! Sometimes I forget to label them, it's a running joke at work that I have 'freezer roulette' for dinner. If I find myself home alone for dinner I hit the roulette then too, mist stuff can be warmed as easy in a pan as a microwave.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Try skinnytaste.com. Her recipes have nutrition etc. A lot of basic recipes you can or sub ingreds.
  • Nemesiscl
    Nemesiscl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Buy a bunch of chicken cook it up and freeze what you don't need. I find it hard to cook for myself as well since I'm on a budget. I find that MRP work for me!