Want to lose muscle

Options
13»

Replies

• Wickedfaery73
    Wickedfaery73 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I dont think you should try to lose muscle, you will probably regret it when you are older and get fat more easily. Muscle on women is sexy!
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Take up video games! You might gain some fat too. :p
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Here is a post on a similar topic from last year. You might find some of the responses helpful.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10304360/becoming-lean-and-losing-muscle-mass-it-is-possible
  • Witchdoctor58
    Witchdoctor58 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Body dysmorphic disorder. You have a distorted idea of your healthy body. The solution to your problem is in your own mind. Yes, I am a real doctor.
  • e_v_v
    e_v_v Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    To everyone who responded to my post, I GREATLY appreciate all of your feedback, ideas, suggestions, and encouragement.

Yes, this photo is not updated. This photo was taken pre-college softball and gymnastics. I am 5'3" and 140 pounds. Bet you wouldn't have guessed 140.

Many of you are right. No, I am not "bulky." Apparently losing "bulk" was the wrong terminology to use. I simply want to fit my small, petite frame more comfortably (remember, I'm only 5'3"), which in my opinion involves losing a little bit of my muscle. The problem is that I have large quad muscles and a small waist; buying pants that fit is nearly impossible.

I am not mentally sick in any way. I have a very positive body image. We all have different body goals--some of you want to build more muscles; others don't. I simply wanted a few viewpoints on healthy ways to reduce my muscle mass.

Thank you for the responses. I really appreciate it!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    ebrass73 wrote: »
    To everyone who responded to my post, I GREATLY appreciate all of your feedback, ideas, suggestions, and encouragement.

Yes, this photo is not updated. This photo was taken pre-college softball and gymnastics. I am 5'3" and 140 pounds. Bet you wouldn't have guessed 140.

Many of you are right. No, I am not "bulky." Apparently losing "bulk" was the wrong terminology to use. I simply want to fit my small, petite frame more comfortably (remember, I'm only 5'3"), which in my opinion involves losing a little bit of my muscle. The problem is that I have large quad muscles and a small waist; buying pants that fit is nearly impossible.

I am not mentally sick in any way. I have a very positive body image. We all have different body goals--some of you want to build more muscles; others don't. I simply wanted a few viewpoints on healthy ways to reduce my muscle mass.

If you are 5'3" and 140 pounds, simply losing the excess fat will go a long way toward cutting down the size of your arms. I would be less concerned about promoting muscle atrophy and more concerned about fat loss.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

There are natural body shapes. Some women lack a distinct waistline, some women have hips that are too curvy (raises hand), the list goes on. Some of use face challenges others don't. But having a higher % of lean muscle mass is something most people would envy. A higher % of taut and firm VS. a higher % of soft and jiggly.

Just get to your desired weight in a healthy manner. Long distance runners generally have lighter look (overall).
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

Well, I'll leave you with this thought, also 5' 3", but currently 120 lbs and with probably average muscle.

To pretty consistently buy pants that fit you're going to need to do a lot more than lose some muscle. You'll need to gain quite a bit of leg length and lose most of any waist to hip curve you have. You might be able to do the second, but the first is out of our reach.

Forget about the pants. You'll nearly always have to get them altered for length. Who cares if you also size up for your hip/thigh and have them nipped in at the waist. There's a large percentage of women who have to do this.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    I've stopped training many times throughout two decades and how I lost muscle was to stop training.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

Well, I'll leave you with this thought, also 5' 3", but currently 120 lbs and with probably average muscle.

To pretty consistently buy pants that fit you're going to need to do a lot more than lose some muscle. You'll need to gain quite a bit of leg length and lose most of any waist to hip curve you have. You might be able to do the second, but the first is out of our reach.

Forget about the pants. You'll nearly always have to get them altered for length. Who cares if you also size up for your hip/thigh and have them nipped in at the waist. There's a large percentage of women who have to do this.

Yep to the bolded. I've been lean in the thighs, bigger in the thighs, measured "exactly" in the waist and hips according to the designer's size chart, been "too" curvy, and not curvy enough throughout my years. Every stinkin' pair of jeans and trousers I've owned has required tailoring.

Buy the pants that fit your largest measurement, and get thee to a tailor or seamstress.

"Make your clothing fit you, not the other way around." (I'm the child of a talented seamstress. These are her wise words that hold true for everyone.)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    You don't look bulky at all. In fact, I think you look very nice.

You'll probably be fine without doing anything drastic. you'll graduate college and move forward with a desk job likely and won't be training so much because you'll be busy working and having an adult life. So because your lifestyle will change so much, you likely won't be training so often anyway. I wouldn't even worry about losing muscle if I where you. You look great already and once you're out in the real world, you probably won't be training much anyway.

Cosigned.