Lost the weight but now hate my shape!

Options
Hey everyone,

So I've pretty much reached my goal weight (didn't have much to lose, just wanted to drop a dress size to get back into my pretty dresses) and I'm proud, but not completely happy with the results.

I'm definitely more defined all over (esp the arms), but I've lost the boobs and muffin top that I got when I put on weight, and even though I hated them at the time, now I've revealed that I'm natually shapeless. No waist, no hips, I go straight down from the ribs and combined with fairly wide shoulders, I look like a twelve year old boy!

Are weights the answer? Will they cut me in at the waist a bit? How about squats to make my bum and thighs bigger? Or am I just genetically doomed? :(

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately you're the shape you're genetically supposed to be.
  • Eluschinski
    Options
    Weights will help you gain shape back. Genetics are genetics yes, but seriously! Change the exercises to focus on those troubled areas! I have, and I have seen results.
    -Ed
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    You are not genetically doomed...check out this post I read yesterday...very impressed with her results from lifting:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1032054-from-pear-to-hourglass-with-heavy-lifting-for-women?hl=pear+to+hourglass
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    WEIGHT LIFT . Build some muscle to better your body composition and give you a better looking shape . The muscle shape alone is genetic , but you can change your overall shape
  • monjacq1964
    monjacq1964 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    You can dress yourself to create more of a waist. Watch some "what not to wear". Define your waist, where you'd like it to be, with a cute belt, or the right cut of a dress. People are the shape they are.
  • PeauxPeaux
    PeauxPeaux Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You can do a lot with clothes to make yourself look shapelier.

I have the opposite problem -- I always feel like my boobs enter the room before me, and the my boobs are the LAST place I lose weight and I have broad shoulders, too. So I wear minimizer bras and V neck shirts and do other tricks with fashion to make my shoulders look narrower and try to pull the focus off my boobs and down to my small waist.

I also choose clothes that emphasize the parts i like -- I have nice legs, for example, so I keep a good pedicure, wear eye-catching shoes and skirts that stop a couple of inches above the knee.

What do you like? Maybe you have good legs or a nice behind or thick glossy hair? Dress to pull the eye to your best pieces and do not sweat the natural shape you have.

You are going to feel so much better being healthy and healthy IS pretty. Healthy will give you better skin and more energy and confidence.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    If you're shaped like a twelve year old boy when you've lost the weight, there's not too much to do about it. You can build up the butt, but the hips, thighs, and bust are a bit harder. A friend of mine takes fenugreek supplements to make her boobs bigger (apparently their high in estrogen, so they plump them up, but I'm not sure if i buy that) and the hips can only be so wide or narrow (to a point) depending on your bone structure. Maybe something like yoga and pilates where you can focus on a muscle group but don't have to worry (as much) about bulking up. But I think the main thing is the know that you have your body at the healthiest it can be. No matter how good a shape we're in, they'll be things we want to change.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Sigh. I am in the same club. I am lifting, squatting and strength training to build my shoulders and hips. Doing ab work to try to tighten my tummy. I am also eating lots of protein. I fully expect it to take a year to reshape my body, though I am not sure it's possible. Patience and dedication are key for this phase. I am not willing to settle!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

weights will help, but you are the shape you are... learn to love it!
  • brendywendy
    brendywendy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on reaching your goal! Unfortunately you can't do much about the shape you have. I have the opposite type and the weight falls off my waist but stays on my bust! You just have to learn to dress for your new size. Think TV shows like "What not to Wear" and all those dress for your shape books. Also lots of department stores and clothing stores offer a personal shopper service. Do it once and remember what suits you.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    pictures would really help in this situation.

could you tell us your current training?

but yes, heavy squats, barbell hip thrusts, deadlifts, these all improve the lower body, resulting in a rounder, fuller shape, for those that are missing it like yourself. You'll likely need to go on a slight surplus of calories, but you can build great glutes. It also helps make you look proportioned, which is what is sounds like you're looking for. I'm not sure if you can make your waist look the way you're describing, without a picture, i'm not sure how much definition or what size waist you have. However, if you dress in a certain way, wearing certain kinds of skirts, etc it creates more of the curvy look you're going for.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Follow Gok Wan's advice and cnch in your waist, wear floaty skirts etc.

or get some of those knickers with a padded bottom!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    You could give yourself the appearance of a curvier shape by lifting....building up shoulders will make your waist (and lower half) appear more narrow by comparison. If you were to also build your lower body (glutes, thighs), you could create a nice little shape, I think.
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    WEIGHT LIFT . Build some muscle to better your body composition and give you a better looking shape . The muscle shape alone is genetic , but you can change your overall shape

^^^^^^this
  • mystiedragonfly
    mystiedragonfly Posts: 189 Member
    Options

Weight lifting (heavy weight lifting). Yes, specifically squats and walking lunges. Over all weight lifting will help give some shape.

P.S. Make sure you eat the calories needed for building muscle too.
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    swimming gives good breast and nice shape and its great calorie burner
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options

weights will help, but you are the shape you are... learn to love it!

I don't agree with this 100%. My shape is a little different than 100lbs ago... Weight loss alone before strength training - I was disappointed with what I looked like as well.

Lift baby lift!
  • BobOki
    BobOki Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Curves are not always sexy.
    Weights will always help, you want curves, build muscle to make curves :p
  • Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

So I've pretty much reached my goal weight (didn't have much to lose, just wanted to drop a dress size to get back into my pretty dresses) and I'm proud, but not completely happy with the results.

I'm definitely more defined all over (esp the arms), but I've lost the boobs and muffin top that I got when I put on weight, and even though I hated them at the time, now I've revealed that I'm natually shapeless. No waist, no hips, I go straight down from the ribs and combined with fairly wide shoulders, I look like a twelve year old boy!

Are weights the answer? Will they cut me in at the waist a bit? How about squats to make my bum and thighs bigger? Or am I just genetically doomed? :(

Lifting weights/Body building can help modify your shape some.You're gonna have to lift heavy if you want certain area to grow i.e thighs, legs and bum.Since you say that your shoulder are already fairly wide then Making your thighs and legs bigger to match your top half will give the illusion of a smaller waist area ultimately changing your straight figure into a tiny hourglass. It will take hard work, but if you really want it, it can be done. Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • totem12
    totem12 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    pictures would really help in this situation.

could you tell us your current training?

but yes, heavy squats, barbell hip thrusts, deadlifts, these all improve the lower body, resulting in a rounder, fuller shape, for those that are missing it like yourself. You'll likely need to go on a slight surplus of calories, but you can build great glutes. It also helps make you look proportioned, which is what is sounds like you're looking for. I'm not sure if you can make your waist look the way you're describing, without a picture, i'm not sure how much definition or what size waist you have. However, if you dress in a certain way, wearing certain kinds of skirts, etc it creates more of the curvy look you're going for.

Currently combining yoga, Jillian Michaels and a ton of walking. The yoga and jillian are definitely helping me get stronger but the weights I use are nowhere near enough to build muscle, I don't think (5lbs).

My waist is 26 inches, which I am perfectly happy with! It's not so much a problem of thick waist, more that it's out of proportion as you say. I'm a bit triangular :happy:

Thanks for all the replies everyone! V.helpful.:smile: