Lost the weight but now hate my shape!

Replies

• acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Five pounds is not nearly enough. I lift at home, so I got to the store and try out weights. I buy two of whichever weight I can't lift past ten. When I can lift past ten easily, I move up to a heavier weight. Cardio is probably not giving you a lot of benefit toward your new goal.

If you mean you are an inverted triangle, you might enjoy this support thread:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/849651-any-successes-for-women-with-an-inverted-triangle-shape
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    It's all in the clothing. I remember the days I'd dress in big clothes because I didn't want anyone to see my smaller waist and larger hips (I thought they were embarrassing at didn't look good at the time).
  • BurningAway
    BurningAway Posts: 279
    It's all in the clothing. I remember the days I'd dress in big clothes because I didn't want anyone to see my smaller waist and larger hips (I thought they were embarrassing at didn't look good at the time).

Oh how WRONG YOU ARE!
  • BurningAway
    BurningAway Posts: 279

Oh how WRONG YOU ARE! You have a gorgeous shape!
  • Hi There: May I suggest a fabulous book called "Body For Life" by Bill Phillips
    Everything you ever wanted to know about lifting weights, getting lean and toned.
    Amazing Read!!!
  • laytheaub
    laytheaub Posts: 12
    I am going through something similar, I lost 20 lbs and my body feels deflated, my boobs got smaller, I still have loose skin on my tummy from pregnancy. I am going to weight train now to try and tone everything up. Deff do squats, they work wonders for your butt!
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    I am having similar troubles right now.

I used to be all boob and got used to the way my body looked. After losing weight and breastfeeding, my breasts are no longer there to be my security blanket and I seem to be all *kitten* and thigh now. I'm trying to get used to the new me, but I think a lot of it is going to take time. I saw myself the same way for so many years, it's just going to take seeing myself like this more often (and learning to dress my 'new body') for me to like the way I look...
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    You can dress yourself to create more of a waist. Watch some "what not to wear". Define your waist, where you'd like it to be, with a cute belt, or the right cut of a dress. People are the shape they are.

Just what I was going to say, actually. Your shape is only going to change so much from lifting weights. I picked up the book by the British What not to Wear gals and it helped me get my head straight about how to dress properly for my shape. After my first shopping trip with that book's guidelines in mind, I started getting compliments from guys on the street. Not gross cat calls, either--more along the lines of, "wow you have a nice figure" from an older gentleman. It's amazing what the right clothes will do for your body.

Edit: linkie, http://www.amazon.com/What-Not-Wear-Trinny-Woodall/dp/B0042P5752/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1372862973&sr=1-2&keywords=what+not+to+wear
  • awise19
    awise19 Posts: 154 Member
    I have seen people change their "genetic body shape" and it is the most amazing transformations! Just keep at it and hit those weights. It takes a while but it so worth it. I saw a girl that basically had the same shape you are describing that you have turn into a women with an amazing butt, great thighs and she built up the muscles that made her boobs so perky and amazing. She said it took her about 2 1/2 years and she wasn't bulky. It was truly incredible.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    I see several people suggest dressing differently. I don't see how this approach would be good advice. Don't people who are overweight avoid the issue by wearing bigger clothes instead of exercising and eating better? I know she's not overweight, but you get my point.

Yes, genetics plays a big role, but you can do something about it by hitting the weights and tailoring your diet to maintenance or slightly above.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    I was genetically doomed with no real curves and a very boyish body. Now I have an *kitten*. So you can definitely use what you got to create something better.
  • badmoose
    badmoose Posts: 25
    You can tone the underlying muscle, but your bone structure defines your basic shape and that isn't going to change. A lot of the shape of boobs and butt comes from fat. How fat is distributed in your body is hormonal, and is different for everyone.

There are some changes you can make via exercise, but don't expect major changes. As a previous poster said, how you dress can accent the shape you have, emphasise areas you want to emphasise.

But please, don't define your self-image on some external ideal. We're all distinct. Change what you can, if that makes you happy, but accept and embrace who you fundamentally are; there's nothing wrong with you.
  • onedayatatime12
    onedayatatime12 Posts: 577 Member
    Ahh! Lucky you! I wish I had a ruler shape, but I have huge-*kitten* hips :( 3.5 inches larger than my bust measurement. I always wish I had a boyish body for some reason.
  • bumblebums
    I see several people suggest dressing differently. I don't see how this approach would be good advice. Don't people who are overweight avoid the issue by wearing bigger clothes instead of exercising and eating better? I know she's not overweight, but you get my point.

Yes, genetics plays a big role, but you can do something about it by hitting the weights and tailoring your diet to maintenance or slightly above.

Look, man, I lift weights, and I think it's great. But it's not the end-all and be-all. You would be amazed at how much of an instant difference the right clothes make for a body. Many women buy whatever is fashionable, or whatever looks good on their friends, and do not stop to think about whether that particular outfit is doing their figure any favors.

To wit: if you have no boobs and wear a top with a plunging v-shaped neckline, you will draw attention to your lack of boobs. No amount of bench pressing will give you a cleavage if you are an A-cup. If you have a naturally wider waist, and many women do, then a cinched waist is a bad idea. Most men do not think about these things, unless they work in the fashion industry or have some other reason to worry about women's clothing. But women should, if they want to look good.
  • IronPlayground

Look, man, I lift weights, and I think it's great. But it's not the end-all and be-all. You would be amazed at how much of an instant difference the right clothes make for a body. Many women buy whatever is fashionable, or whatever looks good on their friends, and do not stop to think about whether that particular outfit is doing their figure any favors.

To wit: if you have no boobs and wear a top with a plunging v-shaped neckline, you will draw attention to your lack of boobs. No amount of bench pressing will give you a cleavage if you are an A-cup. If you have a naturally wider waist, and many women do, then a cinched waist is a bad idea. Most men do not think about these things, unless they work in the fashion industry or have some other reason to worry about women's clothing. But women should, if they want to look good.

Probably should have framed my question better. The post wasn't intended to be confrontational. So, you can cool your jets.

I'm a guy so I really don't get fashion. Some guys might, but I'm not one of them.

Let me ask it this way. Wouldn't trying to work on your body and overcome some areas that might be deemed genetics be initial advice rather than just jumping in a saying dress differently?
  • ClareWantsProgress
    ClareWantsProgress Posts: 173 Member

^^^ Can I get an "amen" here! :)
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    You can dress yourself to create more of a waist. Watch some "what not to wear". Define your waist, where you'd like it to be, with a cute belt, or the right cut of a dress. People are the shape they are.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Ditto this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Experiment with different clothing to get the appearance of a waist that you desire. Seriously, it is magic.
  • bumblebums

Probably should have framed my question better. The post wasn't intended to be confrontational. So, you can cool your jets.

I'm a guy so I really don't get fashion. Some guys might, but I'm not one of them.

Let me ask it this way. Wouldn't trying to work on your body and overcome some areas that might be deemed genetics be initial advice rather than just jumping in a saying dress differently?

Because it's faster :) Transforming the shape of your body takes time and dedication, and you might never be able to correct whatever figure flaws you see in yourself. Dressing for your shape is something you have to learn regardless of how much you squat. The length of your legs, the breadth of your shoulders, the length of your torso--all of these things affect how you look in certain outfits, and women have to be mindful of that.

[EDIT]

Also, OP's post specifically mentioned pretty dresses as a motivator. If the dresses don't look good even after you lost fat, then perhaps it's time to rethink the dresses.
  • IronPlayground

Because it's faster :) Transforming the shape of your body takes time and dedication, and you might never be able to correct whatever figure flaws you see in yourself. Dressing for your shape is something you have to learn regardless of how much you squat. The length of your legs, the breath of your shoulders, the length of your torso--all of these things affect how you look in certain outfits, and women have to be mindful of that.

[EDIT]

Also, OP's post specifically mentioned pretty dresses as a motivator. If the dresses don't look good even after you lost fat, then perhaps it's time to rethink the dresses.

Well, there you go! See, I've learned something today about fashion. :smile:
  • caly_man
    caly_man Posts: 281 Member
    has anyone ever tried to put the weight back on (and by weight I mean the fat) to fill in the areas the you like.....then do a weight lifting program in order to build a better body.

you might stay at your original weight, but the results may be better pleasing