Too much protein?

Options
sweetcaroline109
sweetcaroline109 Posts: 21 Member
edited March 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I've definitely been eating a lot of meat recently to feel satiated. However, I can't help but think that eating meat 2-3 meals/day is a lot. I also eat eggs and/or yogurt for breakfast. Does anyone have any vegetarian lunch/dinner ideas that keep you full for a while? I'm a bit more concerned about lunch because I tend to feel really hungry/deprived by dinner.

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I really doubt you're eating too much protein? How many grams per day are you getting?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian foods also have protein, FYI. If you're looking to reduce protein (which you may not need to do), just switching to vegetarian dishes may not be sufficient.

How many grams of protein are you eating per day? Is the protein keeping you from meeting your other nutritional goals?
  • sweetcaroline109
    sweetcaroline109 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I should rephrase: I think I'm eating too much meat, and it's making me go pretty far over the recommended amount of protein I should be getting. I'm eating about 135 g when I should be getting around 95 g
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I should rephrase: I think I'm eating too much meat, and it's making me go pretty far over the recommended amount of protein I should be getting. I'm eating about 135 g when I should be getting around 95 g

Unless you have a medical condition that you haven't shared, the protein goal is a minimum -- not a maximum.

If you're interested in just eating less meat, many vegetarians and vegans center their meals around beans, grains, and vegetables. Tofu, tempeh, and seitan are also popular. All these foods, however, still have protein so if you're limiting your protein intake for medical reasons, you'll still want to watch out.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    You're fine.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Going over protein isn't a problem if you are otherwise meeting your goals. A lot of people prefer focusing on grams instead of percentages and a good recommendation (to maximize the chance of retaining muscle when losing, along with strength training and a not to aggressive deficit) is .6-.85 g per lb of goal weight.

That said, I understand the feeling that you are eating more meat than you like, as I found myself getting into that habit too, just because lean protein is such an easy way to meet goals and stay satisfied. Do you like beans? I find that they also are extremely filling and make for a good base for a dinner or lunch, also.

I also will do a stir fry with tofu (if you can get Japanese seven spice it makes any stir fry amazing) or a pasta with a tomato-based sauce, lots of vegetables, and maybe some chickpeas to add protein (perhaps not a concern) and make it extra filling.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit more concerned about lunch because I tend to feel really hungry/deprived by dinner.

This sentence in your original post got me to thinking ... what is it you normally have at lunch that leaves you feeling deprived/hungry by dinner? Or is it the time of day you have your lunch and then your dinner? Maybe you just need an afternoon snack of something like carrots and hummus?
  • masaku88
    masaku88 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Cutting back.on animal products is actually a good idea health wise, money wise, and more environmentally friendly. Just a few pros to look at.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    masaku88 wrote: »
    Cutting back.on animal products is actually a good idea health wise, money wise, and more environmentally friendly. Just a few pros to look at.

That is a pretty broad statement there. A positive outcome as far from guaranteed. Cutting back on animal product MAY be good health wise, financially, and environmentally but that is going to depend upon the starting position and what you replace them with.
  • bezza666
    bezza666 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    My wee smells when I eat too much protein
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure you just pewp it out. QLmg5.gif
  • bezza666
    bezza666 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    How do you post pictures on here?