Cross fit - yay or nay?

Options
13»

Replies

• davidepatterson
    davidepatterson Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    First off - Expense doesn't have to be a factor. I would recommend doing an on ramp with your local CrossFit to understand the basics but you can easily do it at home. I have been CrossFitting for almost 3 years and it is by far the most EFFECIENT form of exercise I have found. A 20 minute intense CrossFit workout is better than most 1 hour workouts I had done before at the gym ( I have done EVERY gym class you can think of - yoga, core & More, Abs, Toning, Step, Zumba, Cardio Crunch, Power Sculpt, circuit training).

Since then I have become a level 1 CrossFit trainer and I teach twice a week at our box and for FREE at my house once a week. I have 12-15 people come to my house and we do the full CrossFit workouts. I have paid out of my own pocket to have 7 pull up bars installed, buy wallballs, kettlebells, over 2500 Pounds of Olympic weights with 7 Olympic bars (all Craigslist, averaging 20 cents per pound), I did this because I want to inspire others to change their lives.

One of the ladies that's been coming to my free class is officially down 31 pounds, from a size 16 to a 6. This is partly from CrossFit but also a nutrition change too!! I would highly recommend CrossFit, the most beneficial workout I have ever seen.
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Seriously asking: when people say a thing is expensive, what are they using to justify that word? Expensive compared to what, and expensive to whom?

This. In my area it's approximately $275+. I am about to join a training facility that is $200 a month. It's annoying to hear how people would never pay that for exercise. It's more than worth it for me. I'd rather skip a few dinners/happy hours out and spend my money where it will benefit me more. If Crossfit was my thing, I'd do it in a heart beat.

Annoying? Well...some people just dont have the money for it. Be thankful you can afford it.
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    It all depends on your budget and needs/wants when it comes to fitness. Most places in my area for CF offer trial periods that are at a lowered expense so you can try it out, see if it's for you, and then dive into it or not. Do some research first, maybe pay a visit to a local CF spot, and see what it's like. :)
  • Melissa11412
    Melissa11412 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I did crossfit for about a year and a half (at $99/month) and I enjoyed it. the trainers were knowledgeable and were also more concerned with form rather than poundage (of course there were a few crossfitters there that were in the "elite" class, trained for competitions and such) that pushed a little harder as far as weight goes, and they were motivating to me.

I do remember injuring myself though but it wasn't the coaches fault. I was going for my 1RM deadlifting at the time which was 215. I pulled with my back instead of driving my heels into the floor and i strained my back. I couldn't do squats, deads or kettlebell swings with anything heavier than 30 lbs. for about 4-6 weeks. I had to work back into my regular lifts slowly.

All in all, it was a good experience and I would do it again. I also enjoyed the camaraderie and how we always pushed each other to give 100% always. If I had the extra $100 lying around i'd do it. Every once in a while I pick one of these workouts to do. You don't need weights to do them.

10 rounds of 10 second “L” sits off the floor
    “Susan” – 5 rounds for time: Run 200m, then 10 squats, 10 push ups
    Run 1 mile and at every 1 minute complete 10 air squats, 10 push-ups, 10 sit-ups
    10 Rounds for time: 10 burpees, 100 m sprint
    10 handstand jackknife to vertical jump, 10 handstand jackknife to tuck jump, 10 handstand jackknife to straddle jump.
    3 Rounds for time: 10 Handstand push ups, 200 m run
    6 Rounds for time: 10 push ups, 10 air squats and 10 sit ups
    10 rounds for time: 10 push-ups, 10 squats, 10 sit ups
    10 rounds for time: 10 push-ups, 100m dash
    5 rounds for time: 10 push-ups, 10 hollow rocks, run 200 meters
    10 rounds: 10 push-ups, 10 squats
    10 rounds for time: 10 hand-release push-ups, 10 v-sits, then 10 squats
    10 rounds for time: 10 sit ups, 10 burpees
    4 Rounds for time: 10 vertical jumps, 10 push ups, 10 sit ups
    5 Rounds for time: 10 vertical jumps, run 400 meters
    10 rounds for time: 10 walking lunges, 10 push-ups
    10 sets of 100 m dash (rest is length of time it took you to complete the last 100 m sprint)
    100 air squats, rest 3 minutes, 100 air squats, rest 3 minutes, 100 air squats
    For time complete 100 air squats
    For time complete 100 burpees
  • holly3585
    holly3585 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Crossfit rocks! Had to say that-- and I think gyms are expensive, which is why I started crossfit...... I do it at home. Started with just body weight exercises, heavy objects, and using curbs and benches outside to jump on or over. Piece by piece when I could afford it I would grab a kettle bell or a jump rope. You don't need to pay 100's at a box, just like you don't need to pay for a personal trained every time you go to a gym. Crossfit is a style of workout that works for a lot of people. Research and give it a shot! I love making up my own 'WOD's'
  • JanAlyssa825
    JanAlyssa825 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I tried Crossfit on a friends and family day, so I got to give it a try for free. I actually liked it a lot. The people were nice and not high pressure, there was a good combination of weights and cardio, and the workout went very quickly. You can scale down the workouts, and I used lighter weights than my partner. It's not something I would go into cold turkey, but I think it'd be great to help build muscle. To me, it was very similar to my gym's bootcamp classes, just with heavier weights. I also felt that the instructors were very good and emphasized proper form. I'd like to do more classes, but I purchased a 3 year membership to my gym and am already paying for other classes each week, too. Still looking for an affordable way to fit it in.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    For those on a budget, most of the exercises and workouts are listed on the CrossFit website with videos showing proper form. There are also sites like DIYWOD which will email you a daily crossfit style workout customized based on the equipment you tell it you have available. I just signed up for this recently so I don't know how good it is but maybe others would like to try it out as well. There are also some apps like iWOD Fitness which has exercises, some cool timers, and some other neat stuff. In my area crossfit is > $200/month which is steep for me. I'm currently paying $80/month for bootcamp classes 4 days/week that include TRX and many of the same exercises as crossfit although with less lifting + $15/month for a cheap gym that's right next door to bootcamp and has weights and machines for when the weather is bad.

I'm not interested in engaging in any argument but, for me, I can't justify the cost right now. The $95/month even seems slightly self indulgent but investing in my own health is important to me so I'm doing it anyway. If I had more money, then sure, I would try it out.
  • shaywallis
    shaywallis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    For me its a yay. I was pregnant for 4 years in a row and after my last pregnancy I desperately needed something to get me back in shape. I started this past January at 5mo post partum and have loved every second of it. My coach is amazing, the community there is amazing. I have never felt so strong and energized. I love crossfit. I have a few progress pics on my profile (can never figure out how to post pics in threads), they are a few months old but still give an idea of progress.