Safest pre workout for women

Options
13»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the responses. I do use coffee before work outs but I wanted to try something that will give me a little more of an urge to work out harder when im at the gym. I ordered c4 and will start with half the dose and go from there. Thanks again!
    If you want to work out harder at the gym, that's more of an attitude adjustment than what pre workout you take.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

So, preworkouts work, I'm not denying that, but do they work better than caffeine especially to the exaggerated level you see by those who just take it and say how awesome they are? I'm yet to see any evidence of that.

agreed... my personal opinion is most people aren't at a place where they need it- they want that feeling of being "motivated" - and at some point just sucking it up is what you need- I consider myself an intermediate level athelte/lifter- and I've never really taken any pre-workout other than a snickers and some coffee.

I don't feel at my level I NEED that- my training doesn't require me to do anything other than show up and grind- I don't need the workout to feel awesome- or my face to itch and personally I much prefer the feeling of weakness- that itself is a driving force to make me want to be stronger.

I'm a firm believer in not using artificially sourced motivation and drivers- why? Because I want my "want" to be good enough to drive me.

seriously- just have your coffee and suck it up and FEEL your body work- on it's own.

The bolded part so much. 99+% of us have much we can do to clean up nutrition, exercise, our mindset, etc that will do much more that any supplement will.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    6AMGANG wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    coffee for me
    Exactly. The hype over pre workout is so exaggerated by many gym socialites who really don't need it, but use it because everyone else does.

This is not true - I didn't use it when I started lifting. Now I do, after being shown - it does improve workout/lifts.

a quick perusing of studies show perceived energy, alertness, focus, and increased leg press abilities, but oddly enough no increased bench press abilities.

which, compared to studies on just caffeine, are similar results only the caffeine studies showed increased performance on every lift.

So, pre-workouts beyond some simple caffeine do have greatly exaggerated benefits. As JoRocka put it, some intestinal fortitude and coffee will get you just as far.

What studies? What ingredients in the product provide the improves? The comment "perceived" indicates at best a placebo effect and possibly the impact of caffeine.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3361498/ is one example, not saying I have a conclusive list, but a quick perusal gave similar results for various supplements (named or unnamed) all with caffeine as a major active ingredient. This study specifically notes that caffeine is a major active ingredient and that it has been shown to provide benefits similar to those found in this study. It also notes that there are multiple ingredients in this product and that it is impossible to pinpoint which provided the improved performance. As a note, in that study the perceived energy is stated as such because those results were based on a questionnaire.

So, preworkouts work, I'm not denying that, but do they work better than caffeine especially to the exaggerated level you see by those who just take it and say how awesome they are? I'm yet to see any evidence of that.

No, they don't provide some hulk-like transformation and are especially exaggerated when you see someone in an advertisement or youtube video toss a scoop in their mouth and wash it down and then immediately pull a PR.

If you like coffee, drink coffee. If you want caffeine pills, take them, if you want something that doesn't taste like coffee then use a pre-workout.

In my case, I can't stand coffee so I take a pre-workout. Not picky on the brand, whatever I have handy.
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    most researched and backed up is coffee
  • mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I agree with several here that C4 is pretty mild but gets the job done of a gentle boost for a morning workout - I only get the tingles if I have a heaping scoop and they go away as soon as I start working out. C4 also tastes great to me compared to a lot of other brands - I often have a hard time choking down some of the "flavors" out there in other brands. I personally love their raspberry lemonade.

I also like Explosion fruit punch because its cheap, gives me a gentle boost, doesn't give me the tingles and it's sold at the baby Walmart near my house for super cheap; C4 I have to go to the big/super crowded store for... so sometimes I settle - i'm a settler :)
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    A lot of people are using "pre-workout" and "stimulant" interchangeably here. Pre-workouts serve other functions, for some of which the timing is relevant (citrulline malate, taurine), and for others it's not (creatine, beta alanine).
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options

agreed... my personal opinion is most people aren't at a place where they need it- they want that feeling of being "motivated" - and at some point just sucking it up is what you need- I consider myself an intermediate level athelte/lifter- and I've never really taken any pre-workout other than a snickers and some coffee.

I don't feel at my level I NEED that- my training doesn't require me to do anything other than show up and grind- I don't need the workout to feel awesome- or my face to itch and personally I much prefer the feeling of weakness- that itself is a driving force to make me want to be stronger.

I'm a firm believer in not using artificially sourced motivation and drivers- why? Because I want my "want" to be good enough to drive me.

seriously- just have your coffee and suck it up and FEEL your body work- on it's own.

I agree with that and I think it's probably true for 90% of people. I think it's a bit bizarre to see people think they "need" to go to the vending machine for a protein shake or bar because they've just done a bit of Zumba or pilates.... :/
  • CollieFit
    Options
    Perhaps it makes some folk feel like they're more "serious". LOL
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    CollieFit wrote: »

I agree with that and I think it's probably true for 90% of people. I think it's a bit bizarre to see people think they "need" to go to the vending machine for a protein shake or bar because they've just done a bit of Zumba or pilates.... :/

Actually most of the people I see at my gym drinking pre workout are the cardio class participants and the body pump type people. Some of the powerlifters do but most don't even with their marathon training sessions.
  • CollieFit
    Options
    CollieFit wrote: »

Actually most of the people I see at my gym drinking pre workout are the cardio class participants and the body pump type people. Some of the powerlifters do but most don't even with their marathon training sessions.

Oh totally. Same observation at my gym. Those consuming the stuff are most often those where IMHO the exercise doesn't really call for it.