HELP!!!! Overeating dinners:(:(:( any advice please?

Options

Replies

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Zanda007 wrote: »
    Thank you girls, it does seem a little harsh for me when I first saw 1200 cal limit. I have 8kg to loose and now I do think I should eat exercise calories back and try and set up the limit to 1500 as that sound more realistic to me. My job is quite hard, I work in healthcare, so its quite busy and on feet all the time.

That sounds like a much more reasonable goal, and one that will help you keep on track. You might also consider keeping the lightly active for activity, and adding extra exercise in as you do it. That way, if it's not every day or you're sick on unable to exercise for a week or so, you're not throwing off your calories. The exercise is simply extra calories for you to eat. I take advantage of that, espically on weekends when I want to eat extra, I make myself walk more to be able to do so! XD
  • KorvapuustiPossu
    KorvapuustiPossu Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Since you work in healthcare you know what weight loss is about... Health! Take it slow and steady. Weight that comes off slower is more likely to stay off ;) All the best and good luck!
  • Zanda007
    Zanda007 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Thank you girls, it does seem a little harsh for me when I first saw 1200 cal limit. I have 8kg to loose and now I do think I should eat exercise calories back and try and set up the limit to 1500 as that sound more realistic to me. My job is quite hard, I work in healthcare, so its quite busy and on feet all the time.

It can probably be even more than 1500. Put in 0.5 lb/week rate of loss and see what calorie goal MFP gives you. Still eat back a portion of those exercise calories (true exercise, not the daily activity from your job if you set yourself already as lightly active).

i will definitely try to change the settings othervise I will end up eating the fridge hehe
  • Zanda007
    Options
    I put 2 pounds a week for loss and lightly active lifestyle. thats why i got 1200 but I am planning to exercise 5 times a week for 40 min to 1h each day:)

How much do you have to lose? It seems too fast...where is the rush? You didn't put on the weight over night so you can't get rid of it like that either. I at least hope you plan to eat some of those exercise calories back. Ultimately it's about health, and too fast weight loss and starving yourself while working out like mad is not good for you in any sense of way.

She said above she wants to lose 8kg.

Yeah now I saw... It won't happen. I have similar stats and MFP gave me 1200 diet for 1 lbs loss/week. And i lose just about that. If I put I want to lose 2 lbs it would also show 1200...it's just that it would not happen :)
    I put 2 pounds a week for loss and lightly active lifestyle. thats why i got 1200 but I am planning to exercise 5 times a week for 40 min to 1h each day:)

How much do you have to lose? It seems too fast...where is the rush? You didn't put on the weight over night so you can't get rid of it like that either. I at least hope you plan to eat some of those exercise calories back. Ultimately it's about health, and too fast weight loss and starving yourself while working out like mad is not good for you in any sense of way.

She said above she wants to lose 8kg.

Yeah now I saw... It won't happen. I have similar stats and MFP gave me 1200 diet for 1 lbs loss/week. And i lose just about that. If I put I want to lose 2 lbs it would also show 1200...it's just that it would not happen :)

so it didn't give you more than 1200 cal even you put 1lb per week?

• Intention_In_Motion
    Options
    Hi, I cannot go for that many hours without food, either, so I would eat everything, too lol. Except, my trainer has me drinking a low calorie, low carb protein powder right after my afternoon workouts. It helps your muscles maximize your workout efforts. But more importantly, it will fuel your body enough so you are not starving when you get home. Take the powder to the gym in a shake up container (I also use a pomegranate juice bottle because they are small and have that snowman shape, so it's easy to mix the fine powder). Put water in it at the gym, and drink it within 15 minutes of working out.
    I'm doing about the 1200 calories per day, too. She also reminded me to take in most carbs early in the day, before 6pm or so. Dinner can be piles of different veggies (I like to roast Brussels sprouts and the like), and lean protein, or lean soups as side dishes. The protein shake after workouts really helps me not be so hungry later.
    Oh, and I was also taking in a lot of calories (carbs), as you are, during breakfast and lunch. I do not have as much high carb steal cut oatmeal, but do greek yogurt and boiled eggs/egg whites instead.
    She has me trying to stay at 100 carbs per day. Once I stopped worrying (as much) about the calories and fat, the weight has been dropping off like crazy.
    This is my first blog (ever! lol), so I hope it helps. I've lost 20 lbs as of today! =) I hit my major goal of getting into the 130s this morning yay! Now, I won't car what my weight is, I will keep eating like above and focus on getting strong and flexible.
    Best of luck to you, and everyone on here. I am loving this accountability on My Fitness Pal, and learning about about the value of food in terms of carbs and such. It's helping me learn more and, therefore, make much better choices. (like, dark chocolate Hershey Kisses at night...ugh... Or, light chocolate soy or almond milk. yummy! =)
  • Zanda007
    Options
    Since you work in healthcare you know what weight loss is about... Health! Take it slow and steady. Weight that comes off slower is more likely to stay off ;) All the best and good luck!

Thank you hun, I will try my best:) would you mind If I could be friends with you hehe, as we have similar goals I could have idea about your daily intake hehe

• KorvapuustiPossu
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm on 1200 but my activity is quite low. Not working atm and a bit of a couch potato. :D so 1200 is enough for me to lose 1 lbs a week (my TDEE being about 1700-giving the 500 kcal dialy deficit)... Since you have active job and plan to work out you need to eat more... If you are raiding the fridge it means your body is telling you something. Try eating 1500-1600 and some of the exercise calories too. As long as you log everything correctly you will lose, I guarantee it.
  • Zanda007
    Options
    kmcvegas wrote: »
    Hi, I cannot go for that many hours without food, either, so I would eat everything, too lol. Except, my trainer has me drinking a low calorie, low carb protein powder right after my afternoon workouts. It helps your muscles maximize your workout efforts. But more importantly, it will fuel your body enough so you are not starving when you get home. Take the powder to the gym in a shake up container (I also use a pomegranate juice bottle because they are small and have that snowman shape, so it's easy to mix the fine powder). Put water in it at the gym, and drink it within 15 minutes of working out.
    I'm doing about the 1200 calories per day, too. She also reminded me to take in most carbs early in the day, before 6pm or so. Dinner can be piles of different veggies (I like to roast Brussels sprouts and the like), and lean protein, or lean soups as side dishes. The protein shake after workouts really helps me not be so hungry later.
    Oh, and I was also taking in a lot of calories (carbs), as you are, during breakfast and lunch. I do not have as much high carb steal cut oatmeal, but do greek yogurt and boiled eggs/egg whites instead.
    She has me trying to stay at 100 carbs per day. Once I stopped worrying (as much) about the calories and fat, the weight has been dropping off like crazy.
    This is my first blog (ever! lol), so I hope it helps. I've lost 20 lbs as of today! =) I hit my major goal of getting into the 130s this morning yay! Now, I won't car what my weight is, I will keep eating like above and focus on getting strong and flexible.
    Best of luck to you, and everyone on here. I am loving this accountability on My Fitness Pal, and learning about about the value of food in terms of carbs and such. It's helping me learn more and, therefore, make much better choices. (like, dark chocolate Hershey Kisses at night...ugh... Or, light chocolate soy or almond milk. yummy! =)

Its an awesome blog to be honest, thank you sooooooo much:):):) I will try my best to follow in your footsteps:) would you mind to share your diary with me for an idea whats is it like? Please????? thank you xx
  • Zanda007
    Options
    I'm on 1200 but my activity is quite low. Not working atm and a bit of a couch potato. :D so 1200 is enough for me to lose 1 lbs a week (my TDEE being about 1700-giving the 500 kcal dialy deficit)... Since you have active job and plan to work out you need to eat more... If you are raiding the fridge it means your body is telling you something. Try eating 1500-1600 and some of the exercise calories too. As long as you log everything correctly you will lose, I guarantee it.
    I'm on 1200 but my activity is quite low. Not working atm and a bit of a couch potato. :D so 1200 is enough for me to lose 1 lbs a week (my TDEE being about 1700-giving the 500 kcal dialy deficit)... Since you have active job and plan to work out you need to eat more... If you are raiding the fridge it means your body is telling you something. Try eating 1500-1600 and some of the exercise calories too. As long as you

My work is quite hard and physical. I will try to change it tonight and see how I go about it then, thank you for all the advice, really appreciate it!!!
  • Zanda007
    Options
    dubird wrote: »

That sounds like a much more reasonable goal, and one that will help you keep on track. You might also consider keeping the lightly active for activity, and adding extra exercise in as you do it. That way, if it's not every day or you're sick on unable to exercise for a week or so, you're not throwing off your calories. The exercise is simply extra calories for you to eat. I take advantage of that, espically on weekends when I want to eat extra, I make myself walk more to be able to do so! XD

will try to do that tonight, thank you so much:)
  • KorvapuustiPossu
    Options
    Sent you a friend request :)
  • Intention_In_Motion
    Options
    Hi there, I've never put any of this public, but my trainer and recent experiences just poured out and I am so encouraged by everyone and their support of each other. I will try to figure out how to make my stuff "shared". The above folks are right. I have been meal prepping for a couple months now, and it saves me from when I'm too tired in the evening to eat well or cook. I set out 12 or 15 containers and fill them with lean meats, veggies, small sweet potatoes. This last month I have been using the Metabolic Meals program. Its a little pricy, but so if organic, free range, GLUTEN FREE food. This has saved my guts from awful swelling and bloating from flour and pasta and such.
    Anyway, they are already portioned out meals for lunch and dinner. But, before then, I was doing the dozen containers and filling them with frozen veggies, small amounts of meat or lower type carbs when I wanted some. I also keep lots of boiled eggs at work and home. If I'm eating two eggs and something else, I only eat one yolk. my dogs love to share the other one =)
    Again, congratulations on your goals. I hit the gym a few times per week and the stairs at work on breaks. leg kicks in the office when no one's around hehe
    All the best to you and everyone!!
  • rpachigo
    rpachigo Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    At least on some days when feasible, eat like a king for breakfast, a prince for lunch and a pauper for dinner.

Also one mid-afternoon snack that helps with my dinner appetite is chia seed pudding.
  • Anabug81
    Anabug81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I also am on a 1200 calorie meal plan, I find if I limit my meals to around 300, I have 300 calories left for snacks and extras plus my extra calories from working out.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    dubird wrote: »

will try to do that tonight, thank you so much:)

You're welcome. ^_^ Also, keep in mind that if you're letting MFP or a gym machine calculate your calories burned, it will most likely be wrong. Both use generic stats to make the calculations, which may or may not be accurate to your body. Your best bet is to use a heart rate monitor either in a tracker or on it's on and calculate that way. It's not 100% accurate, but it'll be much better. You don't have to do so, and if you want to use MFP to calculate your calories burned, eat back only about 50-70% of what it says, just to be on the safe side.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I could not make it to dinner without enough protein and fat in my breakfast and lunch. Porridge, Weetabix and fruit? I'd be ready to eat my running shoes after a workout. Look at your macros and make sure you are not just getting carbs. Something has to hold you over.
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    For me, the evening meal is where my non-calorie-conscious husband and I cook and eat together, or go out, so I just know I'm going to consume more calories there, so I try to save up for them. I skip breakfast because, for me, it starts the hunger cycle. I've found that I'm actually hungry earlier and eat more at lunch when I eat breakfast, so I try to make lunch my first meal of the day and stay to less than 500 calories leaving 700+ exercise calories of about 200-250 (half of what you earn) to make a nice meal at 950 calories. That even leaves enough room for a couple of slices of pizza and an ice cream cone if we splurge. It's just easier for me to restrict smaller meals on my own and enjoy whatever we're having together in the evening if I've planned for it. Also, if I know we're going out and I need more "budget," I'm more motivated to get up early and workout before work to earn enough to enjoy later.
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Planning. I know if I left it to what I find in the fridge I'd have trouble too. I make things like casseroles and immediately cut them into servings. Personally, I have no issue eating leftovers for days so I cook a couple times a week and we eat well all week. I plan a day to buy my groceries and days to cook (ideally not the same day). If you don't enjoy eating the same meal several days in a row, just freeze servings. In no time you'll have option in the freezer.

I also like to log my food ahead of time as much as possible...it's easier to make adjustments to what I want my day to look like when I'm not standing in front of food :-) and I'm able to decide then to swap out that rice pilaf and have steamed veggies instead.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I probably will sound silly but I just started my fitness journey again after long long break. This is my second day back in gym and second day on my fitness pal. I find myself really good in morning breakfast and lunches, sticking to healthy food and all that and its easy as morning breakfast its just some high protein porridge or weetabix then for lunch my home made salad fruit etc... All good and well. I finish my work at 14.00 then go to gym for an hour but as soon as I get home in afternoon and looking for dinner I seem to eat all the fridge content:(:(:(:( could anyone give me some tips how to get in to habit to have that one healthy evening meal and thats it??????? Thank you!

I started in a new job at slightly different times in a new country with new foods and had serious problems at first. I was constantly hungry. My solution was to take more food to work. Seriously.
    I don't know exactly what you're eating, but if I was to eat some cereals for breakfast, only vegetable/leafy salad for lunch and a bit of fruit I would not be able to finish my work properly, let alone work out afterwards. I'm currently eating 3 double slices of bread with ham or chicken breast at work, plus fruit, and snacking vegetables. That would leave me with enough calories for dinner to be still at a deficit if I chose to (around 1450kcal on 1750 TDEE). Not a really big deficit but enough to lose weight.
    What I also do for the second half of the working day is to have a bowl of snacking vegetables: freshly cut bell peppers, cucumber or cherry tomatoes for example: not many calories but it keeps me full and gives some carb energy for workout.
  • lauradenslinger
    lauradenslinger Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just eat less during the day and more for dinner. No matter what I tried, I'm always hungrier at night. I'm still losing weight fine. I think it's your entire day of calories and the timing doesn't matter that much.