HELP!!!! Overeating dinners:(:(:( any advice please?

Options
13»

Replies

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm on 1250cal/day. My breakfast + lunch are about 500 cal (oat porridge with almond milk is 165cal per portion, then another 350cal for lunch and I always add soup and salad at lunch for the bulk) leaving 700+for dinner.
    Edit: I've been doing this for 6 weeks without much problem.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Have s green salad with low cals dressing for dinner. It helps fill you up without adding many cals. If I have the same meal, but without salad, I'm much hungrier.
  • Zanda007
    Zanda007 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I've never put any of this public, but my trainer and recent experiences just poured out and I am so encouraged by everyone and their support of each other. I will try to figure out how to make my stuff "shared". The above folks are right. I have been meal prepping for a couple months now, and it saves me from when I'm too tired in the evening to eat well or cook. I set out 12 or 15 containers and fill them with lean meats, veggies, small sweet potatoes. This last month I have been using the Metabolic Meals program. Its a little pricy, but so if organic, free range, GLUTEN FREE food. This has saved my guts from awful swelling and bloating from flour and pasta and such.
    Anyway, they are already portioned out meals for lunch and dinner. But, before then, I was doing the dozen containers and filling them with frozen veggies, small amounts of meat or lower type carbs when I wanted some. I also keep lots of boiled eggs at work and home. If I'm eating two eggs and something else, I only eat one yolk. my dogs love to share the other one =)
    Again, congratulations on your goals. I hit the gym a few times per week and the stairs at work on breaks. leg kicks in the office when no one's around hehe
    All the best to you and everyone!!

that leg kicks made me smile:) thank you for great post, will have a peak at that meal program too:) l love the support snd all the advices on here, great to talk with people who already doing it xx
  • Zanda007
    Options
    rpachigo wrote: »
    At least on some days when feasible, eat like a king for breakfast, a prince for lunch and a pauper for dinner.

Also one mid-afternoon snack that helps with my dinner appetite is chia seed pudding.

do you have any favourite meals for dinner you could share maybe?

• Zanda007
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    Zanda007 wrote: »
    dubird wrote: »
    Thank you girls, it does seem a little harsh for me when I first saw 1200 cal limit. I have 8kg to loose and now I do think I should eat exercise calories back and try and set up the limit to 1500 as that sound more realistic to me. My job is quite hard, I work in healthcare, so its quite busy and on feet all the time.

That sounds like a much more reasonable goal, and one that will help you keep on track. You might also consider keeping the lightly active for activity, and adding extra exercise in as you do it. That way, if it's not every day or you're sick on unable to exercise for a week or so, you're not throwing off your calories. The exercise is simply extra calories for you to eat. I take advantage of that, espically on weekends when I want to eat extra, I make myself walk more to be able to do so! XD

will try to do that tonight, thank you so much:)

You're welcome. ^_^ Also, keep in mind that if you're letting MFP or a gym machine calculate your calories burned, it will most likely be wrong. Both use generic stats to make the calculations, which may or may not be accurate to your body. Your best bet is to use a heart rate monitor either in a tracker or on it's on and calculate that way. It's not 100% accurate, but it'll be much better. You don't have to do so, and if you want to use MFP to calculate your calories burned, eat back only about 50-70% of what it says, just to be on the safe side.

I just got sorted my goals i had to put my lifestyle on active and goal weight loss on 0.5 kg a week to get 1470 cal daily intake. will try to stick with it. sound more like it. i have garmin watch and heart rate monitor i will be using from now on:) xx

• Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Thank you girls, it does seem a little harsh for me when I first saw 1200 cal limit. I have 8kg to loose and now I do think I should eat exercise calories back and try and set up the limit to 1500 as that sound more realistic to me. My job is quite hard, I work in healthcare, so its quite busy and on feet all the time.

Make sure that if you're doing a lot of moving around that you're set to active when you set your calories so it calculates that in too. Definitely switch down to .5lb/week. It's slower, but a healthy and sustainable way!
  • Zanda007
    Options
    I just eat less during the day and more for dinner. No matter what I tried, I'm always hungrier at night. I'm still losing weight fine. I think it's your entire day of calories and the timing doesn't matter that much.
    i am starving by lunch time hehe... suppose i just love food lol:) i will have to change it suppose xx
  • Zanda007
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Have s green salad with low cals dressing for dinner. It helps fill you up without adding many cals. If I have the same meal, but without salad, I'm much hungrier.
    i definitely could try that, thanks xx

• Zanda007
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    I'm on 1250cal/day. My breakfast + lunch are about 500 cal (oat porridge with almond milk is 165cal per portion, then another 350cal for lunch and I always add soup and salad at lunch for the bulk) leaving 700+for dinner.
    Edit: I've been doing this for 6 weeks without much problem.
    thank you so much, helps to seee other opinions xx
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I just eat less during the day and more for dinner. No matter what I tried, I'm always hungrier at night. I'm still losing weight fine. I think it's your entire day of calories and the timing doesn't matter that much.
    i am starving by lunch time hehe... suppose i just love food lol:) i will have to change it suppose xx
    I always have to have a snack before lunch. No matter how much water I have, my stomach is rumbling. Maybe some nuts, or carrot sticks (in case you don't have a fridge) to help tide you over.
  • Zanda007
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    I probably will sound silly but I just started my fitness journey again after long long break. This is my second day back in gym and second day on my fitness pal. I find myself really good in morning breakfast and lunches, sticking to healthy food and all that and its easy as morning breakfast its just some high protein porridge or weetabix then for lunch my home made salad fruit etc... All good and well. I finish my work at 14.00 then go to gym for an hour but as soon as I get home in afternoon and looking for dinner I seem to eat all the fridge content:(:(:(:( could anyone give me some tips how to get in to habit to have that one healthy evening meal and thats it??????? Thank you!

I started in a new job at slightly different times in a new country with new foods and had serious problems at first. I was constantly hungry. My solution was to take more food to work. Seriously.
    I don't know exactly what you're eating, but if I was to eat some cereals for breakfast, only vegetable/leafy salad for lunch and a bit of fruit I would not be able to finish my work properly, let alone work out afterwards. I'm currently eating 3 double slices of bread with ham or chicken breast at work, plus fruit, and snacking vegetables. That would leave me with enough calories for dinner to be still at a deficit if I chose to (around 1450kcal on 1750 TDEE). Not a really big deficit but enough to lose weight.
    What I also do for the second half of the working day is to have a bowl of snacking vegetables: freshly cut bell peppers, cucumber or cherry tomatoes for example: not many calories but it keeps me full and gives some carb energy for workout.
    thank you, your post really helps. i do add meat like chicken breast or tuna to my salad to have protein, but i always been a bit of a binger so i suppose i have to learn portion control too.:) xx
  • Zanda007
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    I always have to have a snack before lunch. No matter how much water I have, my stomach is rumbling. Maybe some nuts, or carrot sticks (in case you don't have a fridge) to help tide you over.
    we do have a fridge so it will be helping:) my stomach is rumbling all the time now hehe

• Zanda007
    Options
    CaitlinW19 wrote: »
    Planning. I know if I left it to what I find in the fridge I'd have trouble too. I make things like casseroles and immediately cut them into servings. Personally, I have no issue eating leftovers for days so I cook a couple times a week and we eat well all week. I plan a day to buy my groceries and days to cook (ideally not the same day). If you don't enjoy eating the same meal several days in a row, just freeze servings. In no time you'll have option in the freezer.

I also like to log my food ahead of time as much as possible...it's easier to make adjustments to what I want my day to look like when I'm not standing in front of food :-) and I'm able to decide then to swap out that rice pilaf and have steamed veggies instead.
    thanks hun for the great tips:) will be going to wilkos tomorrow to get storage containers and lets the cooking begin:) xx
  • livelovebbg
    livelovebbg Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Are you hungry when you eat breakfast in the morning? I like to eat in the afternoon and evening, so I hold off on eating anything until I'm actually hungry (usually around 11am-12pm). The only time I forced myself to eat breakfast is when I was trying to gain weight. If you prefer to eat in the evenings, save your calories :)
  • Zanda007
    Options
    Are you hungry when you eat breakfast in the morning? I like to eat in the afternoon and evening, so I hold off on eating anything until I'm actually hungry (usually around 11am-12pm). The only time I forced myself to eat breakfast is when I was trying to gain weight. If you prefer to eat in the evenings, save your calories :)

i am much of a morning person so I cant go without breakfast:( i have physical work which is not helping as even i have breakfast by 11.00-12.00 I am feeling starving again hehe

• judowolf
    judowolf Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    For me, it's all about logging...if I'm logging, it all falls into place...I plan my meals so I know what to log, I've become a chef in many aspects, find new and healthy recipes....it's all about what makes you inspired...I'm competitive, so once I know I'm logging it down, I have to make it work, maybe it's ocd or something, but once I get comfortable, I stop logging and slowly slide back into old habits....Best of luck, I'm a daily logger and have an open diary, so you welcome to check it out and/or add me
  • sam_at_mill_lodge
    sam_at_mill_lodge Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Drink loads of water....you will not feel like having dinner, never mind large portions
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Drink loads of water....you will not feel like having dinner, never mind large portions

Uhhhh drinking water to avoid dinner does not sound like a good idea.

Also-unless you have a medical condition, there is no reason to limit carbs at certain times of the day (like not having them after 6pm).
  • rpachigo
    rpachigo Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    rpachigo wrote: »
    At least on some days when feasible, eat like a king for breakfast, a prince for lunch and a pauper for dinner.

Also one mid-afternoon snack that helps with my dinner appetite is chia seed pudding.

do you have any favourite meals for dinner you could share maybe?

Tonight: salad with strawberries/blueberries/walnuts/pumpkin seeds and a naked burger (homemade 93/7 ground beef with spices/onion/mushrooms/greens) on top of salad or separate.

Guac or sliced avocado on top