Is it true that cant lose weight with carbs/sugar

Options
Sorry for that stupid title.

What I mean is that, low carb books are telling me that you can't lose weight with eating lots of carbs because insulin will go up and when insulin is up, you cant shed fat.

Is that true?

Actually, it doesn't say you CAN'T lose weight. Just says it will be much slower. is it true?

I thought it was all about calories.

Does someone on low carb who eats 1000 calories going to lose faster than me eating carbs on 1000 calories?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    No it is not true? It's all about the calories in/calories out.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I have not found it to be true at all. I love carbs - I tried reducing/avoiding them and I was pretty miserable. I've lost weight just fine eating all my favorite foods. What matters is the calorie deficit.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Of course a low carb book would tell you that. It's not true. The initial weight loss of someone who cut carbs will potentially be faster due to depleted glycogen stores, but overall the weight loss would be the same.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    No. What matters for weight loss is a calorie deficit. Some people have a medical reason to restrict carbs, others find low carb to be a way of eating that they enjoy and find sustainable.

Many of us have lost weight eating carbs/sugar and following a flexible dieting approach where the diet is built around primarily nutrient dense foods but still allows for all the foods we enjoy in moderation.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

What I mean is that, low carb books are telling me that you can't lose weight with eating lots of carbs because insulin will go up and when insulin is up, you cant shed fat.

Is that true?

Actually, it doesn't say you CAN'T lose weight. Just says it will be much slower. is it true?

Does someone on low carb who eats 1000 calories going to lose faster than me eating carbs on 1000 calories?

Insulin signals cells to take up fatty acids. This means the fatty acids are already in your body, in your blood, you're just taking them into the cells. I won't prevent your cells from using existing fats as energy. Low carb books confuse people by trying to use the technical fact that insulin is a fat storage signal at the cell level to make people believe that it controls storing it in the body at all, which it is not true.
    Whether you eat carbs or not, your body isn't about just pass fat back out undigested.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm high carb.
    I focus on good carbs and enjoy the heck out of them.
    Lentils, quick oats, beans, chickpeas, brown rice,
    I know I can slowly lose weight for life this way.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    The only reason I've lost weight, and kept the weight off, is because I can eat carbs.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    If it were true, I wouldn't have lost weight. I eat all the carbs.
  • Microscopes
    Microscopes Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Not true at all.

Side comment-I hope you plan on eating more than 1000 calories a day.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options

Is that true?

Low carb books can't say anything else and still be able to sell books. Eat what you want just eat at a deficit.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Carbs and sugar are not evil. As long as you hit your target, you can eat as much of them as you like. I love bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, all those wonderful things - and I'm still losing.

Please also don't eat only 1000 calories a day. That sounds like an awful idea.
  • Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I eat both and still losing weight! You just need a calorie deficit.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Try to relax into the simplicity of CI-CO.

How you go about achieving this is really up to you. Patience and adherence are 2 of the biggest road blocks to successful weight loss and then maintenance.

Eat the foods that you enjoy....one of the issues for new dieters is the plethora of information out there. Some need to eat low carb and feel better for it, satiety wise and health wise. Others like me don't enjoy that way of eating and feel ill and miserable and cannot maintain that way of eating for any length of time.

PS - ^^^ they are SO right about the 1000 calorie thing - not a good idea.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I have failed in the past on being too rigid with all kinds of "rules." I'm really working on making my health a way of life and honestly, I'm feeling so much better about the changes I'm making this time because i know that I can keep up what I'm doing.

Calories in, calories out.
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I did, but that was because I was on a calorie deficit.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options

Is that true?

Well, it's true that insulin is a hormone that promotes storage of surplus food. On the minute-by-minute time scale, it does strongly influence fat creation and burning.

However, the minute-by-minute view is basically irrelevant to dieters. We care about longer time scales - days, weeks, months, sometimes even years. On those time scales, the different insulin effect after meals with different macronutrient composition is totally irrelevant - what matters is the calorie deficit you sustained over that time.

Effectively, the body must be in energy balance. Any difference between the energy you take in and the energy you expel or expend must be made up by the use of stored energy, and fat is the major long-term energy store. On longer time scales, like a full day, your body will drive down insulin levels between meals far enough that its energy needs are met by increased fat oxidation. It doesn't matter if your insulin levels were elevated just after a meal, everyone's are, your body has closed-loop feedback control ensuring that you're oxidizing sufficient fat to meet your energy needs.
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Is that true?

Completely untrue.

Carbs play an important role any muscle building and are useful for fuel when performing high intensive cardio. The best way to lose weight and preserve muscle is to eat a diet that consists of good carbs and protein moderate fat, cardio and weight resistance training.

But essentially, it all boils down to CICO, but there's a right way to do it.. Balanced Macro nutrients, plenty of vegetables and good quality protein sources where possible.

• Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I've lost 70 pounds since July and carbs make up 50% to 60% of my daily calories. Pretty certain my weight loss would not be considered "much slower" by anyone.
  • Chubby_bunnyy
    Chubby_bunnyy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. I ate whatever I wanted even pastries. I just made sure to keep it under 1000-1200 calories.