Is it true that cant lose weight with carbs/sugar

Options

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    You can lose on a high carb diet. Low carb does seem to make it easier for those with insulin resistance to lose faster though.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,221 Member
    Options
    I just made sure to keep it under 1000-1200 calories.

That's not a safe thing to do.

• Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Just about every rule you see in MFP is too simplistic

You can lose weight eating carbs or not eating them

You can lose weight eating 75% of your food as sugar - but you might die in the process

All the people that say you have to have low carbs to lose weight are wrong

All the people that say carbs are required to build muscle are wrong

You can lose weight at 1000 cals a day, 95% sure you will put it all back on faster than you lost it and gain some more. Look at 75% of the new posts "I'm back again this time I will suceed [doubtful" "I've been on MFP for 2 years, works great-lost 40 lbs, but I gained it all back"

I eat max 50 grams carbs per day, I've lost 50 lbs, I'm in better shape than I have been in years, I'm building muscle working out the the gym 3+ hours a week. Should you eat like me? - No way. You need to find what's right for you.

• macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    You can lose on a high carb diet. Low carb does seem to make it easier for those with insulin resistance to lose faster though.

Yep, that was definitely my experience.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Low carbing ketosis caused my periods to mess up hair to fall out memory loss & hemoraghing
    I lost 71lbs CICO 50g carbs a day our body's like carbs
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    OP-great advice on this thread by very experienced people. Follow it and please don't eat below 1200 cals a day. You're a male by your profile and should really eat more.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,517 Member
    Options
    Not true at all. I eat a lot of carbs and lost the 10lbs I wanted to lose initially, then another 10, and then totalled about 40 with eating about 50-60% carbs.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight, but won't lose much fat. ;)
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Nope its myth op. I've eaten around 190g of carbs a day throughout my process and lost all my weight and have kept it off for 2+ yrs so far
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,139 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I managed to lose about 25 kg eating a piece of toast with honey just about every day. :) In fact, I'm making that right now. :grin:

And that's not the only carbs I eat in a day. For example ... I love fruit and eat quite a bit of it.
  • Microscopes
    Microscopes Posts: 92 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    size102b wrote: »
    Low carbing ketosis caused my periods to mess up hair to fall out memory loss & hemoraghing

Personally I would consider 50g carbs per day as low carb.

I go into ketosis at anything under 60.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I eat ~ 50 % of my calories as carbs (on an average of 2000 calories a day). I've lost 35 plus pounds in just under four months. Not an issue.

As an aside, my protein is not high at 25 percent...and it has not impeded my strength increases and I have held size in my arms and quad (at 6" above patella), so with all t be fat loss I have also maintained/gained muscle.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight while earing carbs. Eating carbs reduces fat oxidation acutely and elevated insulin inhibits release of fat from fat cells so the mechanism of fat loss looks to be favoured by restricting carbohydrate - but not to the extent that eating 100g of carbs and nothing else would prevent weight loss.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    The only reason I've lost weight, and kept the weight off, is because I can eat carbs.

So true.
  • snowflake954
    Options

So OP--are you doing Keto?
  • Microscopes
    Microscopes Posts: 92 Member
    Options

No i'm not.

I'm trying CICO.

I've done lots of low carb in the past.

• mmacke78
    mmacke78 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've been losing weight by increasing protein and drinking a gallon of water per day. Keeping my macros at 40% (good)carbs, 30% (good)fat, 30% protein.
  • snowflake954
    Options

No i'm not.

I'm trying CICO.

I've done lots of low carb in the past.

Well then, you've got your answer. If low carbing worked for you, you wouldn't be here trying something else. CICO works however you want to do it. Many people just eat a little of everything and stay within their calorie goals for the day. It's the easiest way---works for me.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. I ate whatever I wanted even pastries. I just made sure to keep it under 1000-1200 calories.

"Under 1200" is only necessary if you are an inactive senior lady (by your picture I don't think so) or sedentary and very petite.

The vast majority of women can eat more than 1200 & still lose weight. Why would you eat more (and lose a bit slower)? To help your body retain existing lean muscle mass. Healthy weight loss helps you reduce your body fat %. Very low calories over long periods of time can result in hair loss too.

It's against MFP guidelines to promote very low calories. Your profile has some very unhealthy goals.