Is it true that cant lose weight with carbs/sugar

Options
13»

Replies

• abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    It's a myth. Insulin rising when consuming a meal not a bad thing (but instead a normal physiologic process). Without insulin, you're dead.

Where they're partially right is if you experience reactive hypoglycemia related to certain foods (foods that very quickly are broken down into glucose and have minimal fat/fiber/protein to slow down the absorption of that glucose -for me, I always have issues with oatmeal and potatoes). The BG rises super super quickly, the pancreas "freaks out" about the high BG and pours out a ton of insulin, your BG drops super quickly, and you may experience hypoglycemia symptoms (shakiness, irritability, hunger). You then might consume some more food to feel better and to raise your BG (though you might not have a low BG in the first place, in which case all that might happen is that your BG will rapidly rise again, and the cycle will continue), and those calories you consume may put you in a calorie surplus instead of a deficit.
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight while eating carbs, especially the high fiber, whole grain type. Some people (like me) have damaged their body from years of high fat, high carb, high sugar diets. My body does not process carbs easily. It was suggested to me by my doctor to try low carb. I did and have had success with it. I feel so much better.

You have to find what works best for your body. Some people are fine with just eating their calorie goal, no matter what the food content is. Other people seem to do better with nutritious whole foods. Other people (like me) need to eat a diet higher in protein. You have to take your own medical history into consideration, any meds you may be taking and how your own body tolerates and processes food. Things change as you age too.

A calorie is just a calorie. 1200-1500 calories of any kind of food should result in some loss of weight. However, a calorie in not just a calorie when it comes to nutrition and the machine that is your body. 1200 calories of ice cream may taste good but will not give you much in nutrition and may make you sick if you have an intolerance to lactose or carbs.

The answer you are looking for isn't here in a forum, you can find the education to make your choices but the answer isn't here, its right there in you and how your body processes food.
  • lml852014
    lml852014 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    No I ate carbs and sugar and lose 13 lbs before..restarting now and Ive lost 5 lbs in the last couple months
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    ames105 wrote: »
    . Some people are fine with just eating their calorie goal, no matter what the food content is. Other people seem to do better with nutritious whole foods.

These aren't mutually exclusive.

Also - nobody is advocating eating 1200 calories worth of ice cream and nothing else. Please stay on topic.

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight while eating carbs, especially the high fiber, whole grain type. Some people (like me) have damaged their body from years of high fat, high carb, high sugar diets. My body does not process carbs easily. It was suggested to me by my doctor to try low carb. I did and have had success with it. I feel so much better.

You have to find what works best for your body. Some people are fine with just eating their calorie goal, no matter what the food content is. Other people seem to do better with nutritious whole foods. Other people (like me) need to eat a diet higher in protein. You have to take your own medical history into consideration, any meds you may be taking and how your own body tolerates and processes food. Things change as you age too.

A calorie is just a calorie. 1200-1500 calories of any kind of food should result in some loss of weight. However, a calorie in not just a calorie when it comes to nutrition and the machine that is your body. 1200 calories of ice cream may taste good but will not give you much in nutrition and may make you sick if you have an intolerance to lactose or carbs.

The answer you are looking for isn't here in a forum, you can find the education to make your choices but the answer isn't here, its right there in you and how your body processes food.

Great post.

As we know CICO is a fact of life yet what happens between CI and CO can be different for each of us leading to different results.

I lost some weight on LCHF. While my CO did not change much my CI may have drop when LCHF stopped my carb craving starting after week two. I have maintained my weight for 12 months now after dropping 50 pounds.

The plus side is in 30 days after I stopped eating most forms of sugar and all forms of grains it managed my pain well and still is 1.5 years later. Six month in my 40 years of serious IBS resolved complete and after a year it is still resolved.

I do not lose weight and keep it off while eating carbs.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    . Some people are fine with just eating their calorie goal, no matter what the food content is. Other people seem to do better with nutritious whole foods.

These aren't mutually exclusive.

I had the same thought. ;-)

OP, I'm another who lost at or faster than the projected rate while eating plenty of carbs.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Science says nope:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26278052
    Dietary carbohydrate restriction has been purported to cause endocrine adaptations that promote body fat loss more than dietary fat restriction. We selectively restricted dietary carbohydrate versus fat for 6 days following a 5-day baseline diet in 19 adults with obesity confined to a metabolic ward where they exercised daily. Subjects received both isocaloric diets in random order during each of two inpatient stays. Body fat loss was calculated as the difference between daily fat intake and net fat oxidation measured while residing in a metabolic chamber. Whereas carbohydrate restriction led to sustained increases in fat oxidation and loss of 53 ± 6 g/day of body fat, fat oxidation was unchanged by fat restriction, leading to 89 ± 6 g/day of fat loss, and was significantly greater than carbohydrate restriction (p = 0.002). Mathematical model simulations agreed with these data, but predicted that the body acts to minimize body fat differences with prolonged isocaloric diets varying in carbohydrate and fat.

Not that I am advocating low fat. Just saying, the supposed fat oxidation benefits of low carb do not necessarily result in greater weight loss.
  • missyfitz1
    missyfitz1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    The only reason I've lost weight, and kept the weight off, is because I can eat carbs.

This.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Science says nope:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26278052
    Dietary carbohydrate restriction has been purported to cause endocrine adaptations that promote body fat loss more than dietary fat restriction. We selectively restricted dietary carbohydrate versus fat for 6 days following a 5-day baseline diet in 19 adults with obesity confined to a metabolic ward where they exercised daily. Subjects received both isocaloric diets in random order during each of two inpatient stays. Body fat loss was calculated as the difference between daily fat intake and net fat oxidation measured while residing in a metabolic chamber. Whereas carbohydrate restriction led to sustained increases in fat oxidation and loss of 53 ± 6 g/day of body fat, fat oxidation was unchanged by fat restriction, leading to 89 ± 6 g/day of fat loss, and was significantly greater than carbohydrate restriction (p = 0.002). Mathematical model simulations agreed with these data, but predicted that the body acts to minimize body fat differences with prolonged isocaloric diets varying in carbohydrate and fat.

Not that I am advocating low fat. Just saying, the supposed fat oxidation benefits of low carb do not necessarily result in greater weight loss.

especially if you quit the "diet" after 6 days without even achieving a steady state of weight loss or a measurable (DEXA) fat loss.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    No, I lost my first 50lbs just counting calories. However, since I have diabetes on both sides of my family, chances are (and I will be tested in a couple weeks for) I am insulin resistant which would explain why I never feel full when eating customary carbs like oatmeal, bread and pasta. I am trying Keto eating to help curb my cravings and lower my cholesterol levels as well as potentially being pro-active about any risks I might have to having insulin resistance or diabetes.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    It's not that eating low carb makes you magically lose more weight.. For me, it greatly reduced my cravings which allowed me to stay in a calorie deficit easier. When I'm at maintenance I may up them and see what happens, but for right now it's working nicely for me.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    "Fat burns in the flame of carbohydrate"
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Oddly, I eat more carbs now than I ever have in my life, while at the same time weighing less than I have since I was in high school. :smiley: