Eating before bed = weight GAIN

Options

Replies

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    No, it isn't true.

In fact, sleep could be classed (loosely) as a low intensity form of exercise and as such burns a greater % of fat to carbs so is good for fat loss ;)
  • Microscopes
    Microscopes Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Mavrick_RN wrote: »
    Saddam Hussein was still alive and Twitter was just being born. A lot has changed in 10 years.

Stop living in the past.

Sort of an odd response.

Nothing to do with living in the past. Simply asking if it was true.

Editing because I clearly can't forum before coffee.

The post was a joke because you referenced dated weight loss advice.

Tell your mom to stop watching Oprah reruns. Eating before bed doesn't hinder weight loss.

Ok.

I guess the "stop living in the past" part sounded a little harsh to me. Didn't sound jokey.

But it's alright.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    oprah had a lot of advice but not all of it was true. She used to listen to dr oz. she tried fad diets.
    i wish it were true. i think it was an idea originally based on late night snacks are frequently high calorie-like ice cream or pie
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    My mom says the same thing and ya it's not true. She is stuck in that mindset and I don't think it will change anytime soon.

You would think my little brother who has always bordered on being underweight would be enough proof for her (he always eats a big meal before bed). Nope. She just says he has a freakishly fast metabolism.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I always have a snack before I go to bed! If you have stomach issues with food when you lie down that's a different story.
  • Wickedfaery73
    Wickedfaery73 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    My husband tried to tell me that the other day... the guy that cant(wont) try to lose a pound and has researched nothing...lol
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    For some people, late night eating is unplanned extra eating that brings them to a calorie surplus. This will lead to weight gain; but it would lead to just as much gain if it was done at 11:00 A.M. The time one eats does not matter.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It could be, if eating late means eating lots of calorie dense foods, and if that isn't balanced by eating less during the day, so that you all in all eat more calories than you burn.

It has nothing to do with timing of intake. The body burns calories round the clock.

Calorie counting makes that kind of strategies redundant. It's so strange to see these ideas put forward here ALL THE TIME.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    OP--where are you coming up with these myths? This is the 2nd one. No, it's not true. I advise you to follow the boards on MFP and learn a few truths instead.

Did you read my original post? I said in the first sentence that my mother told me this. She means well.

I'm talking about your other post--"can't lose weight eating carbs+sugar". Another myth in one day. And I'm sure your mother is lovely and means well.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Utter tosh!! if you keep to your calorie allowance it does not matter one bit what time you eat.
  • Microscopes
    Microscopes Posts: 92 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    OP--where are you coming up with these myths? This is the 2nd one. No, it's not true. I advise you to follow the boards on MFP and learn a few truths instead.

Did you read my original post? I said in the first sentence that my mother told me this. She means well.

I'm talking about your other post--"can't lose weight eating carbs+sugar". Another myth in one day. And I'm sure your mother is lovely and means well.

In the other post, I think I said it in the first sentence too.
    I read it in a low carb book.

Maybe I forgot. Apologies if I did.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Saddam Hussein was still alive and Twitter was just being born. A lot has changed in 10 years.

Stop living in the past.

This kind of made me laugh. I've been part of this rodeo for over 45 years. Fad diets come and go and come back again. "Avocados are bad because they are all fat." Coconut is evil as well. Don't do this exercise and do more of this one. Oh wait, don't do that one, it's bad for your back. "Eat more to lose more." Corn syrup is bad, according to all the other sugary substance producers. Credible research has improved our understanding of how the human body works, however, it is still evolving. Today's absolutes will be next decade's has beens. It's OK to question past theories, just do some research and determine if new information is out there. Not everything 10, 20 or 30 years old is bunk just like everything now is not set in stone. As one of the older participants on MFP, I enjoy doing the research, I listen to those on here who add beneficial information, if there's something I'm skeptical about I ignore it. As far as eating before bed, I don't do it only because it gives me horrible heartburn.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »

Stop living in the past.

This kind of made me laugh. I've been part of this rodeo for over 45 years. Fad diets come and go and come back again. "Avocados are bad because they are all fat." Coconut is evil as well. Don't do this exercise and do more of this one. Oh wait, don't do that one, it's bad for your back. "Eat more to lose more." Corn syrup is bad, according to all the other sugary substance producers. Credible research has improved our understanding of how the human body works, however, it is still evolving. Today's absolutes will be next decade's has beens. It's OK to question past theories, just do some research and determine if new information is out there. Not everything 10, 20 or 30 years old is bunk just like everything now is not set in stone. As one of the older participants on MFP, I enjoy doing the research, I listen to those on here who add beneficial information, if there's something I'm skeptical about I ignore it. As far as eating before bed, I don't do it only because it gives me horrible heartburn.

Weren't eggs still "bad" 10 years ago too? Now eggs are "good" again.

I save 2/3rds of my calories for dinner because that works for me. I am good at practicing control during the day. If I try to spread them out more I just end up eating more overall because I still want to eat the same amount for dinner. 10 years ago maybe they would have called this "disordered eating". But now it can be "intermittent fasting".
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    My wonderful mother keeps telling me this thing she heard on Oprah 10 years ago. Apparently a doctor on that show said if you eat right before bed, all those calories will go towards fat.

Is there any truth to this?

Tell your Mom that 14 years ago Oprah swore off "white stuff" (page 2) but now she is pushing Weight Watchers and "I have bread every day."
  • Jonna13
    Jonna13 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    NO.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten a proper breakfast in years because I prefer a 10pm meal before bed, eat when you want.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    No. I probably saw the same Oprah 10 years ago because that's what I always thought! So i would always try to go to bed hungry, which would send me into a binge.
    After coming to the mfp forums and realizing it doesn't matter when you eat, 10 pounds figuratively melted off me. It was so wonderful.
  • alt5057
    alt5057 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I don't think it matters what time you eat calorie/weight gain-wise, but for me, personally, if I eat right before bed, I wake up feeling famished in the morning and will devour anything in sight...so I try to not eat anything large within a couple hours of going to bed.
  • SunriseReverie
    SunriseReverie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I find that I slim down if I stop eating at 7pm and don't eat until 7am consistently (or 8pm to 8am etc), but that helps my body digest which is something I struggle with.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    For me, I can't eat too soon before bed because it screws with my sleep patterns. But that's not a weight loss thing. That's just a me thing. Oops, it's 8pm, can't have anything to eat now, or I won't sleep for hours.