Why are so many excluding milk from their diet?

Options

Replies

• rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Humans the only adult animal on the planet that drinks milk...that should tell you something...

You could point to virtually all of our food sources apart from foraging for naturally growing edible plants, and we'd be "the only" animal that does that. You won't catch a wolf sighting down the barrel of a rifle to hunt a deer. You won't catch a moose tilling the fields and planting crops to harvest later, much less selectively breeding crops that have advantageous traits. You won't see a lion pride domesticating a herd of gazelle and keeping them as a sustainable source of meat. You won't see a horse cooking its food to release greater nutrient contents, improve digestibility, or neutralize toxins in the food.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,203 Member
    Options
    I see that there are lots of good reasons why some people exclude milk from their diets, like allergies/sensitivities, food preferences; caloric priorities, or moral principles.

What I would've asked is "Why are so many - any, really - utterly adamant that the rest of us should exclude milk from our diets?"

(Well, I sort of understand why the moral-principles people advocate that, but understanding that doesn't make it seem any less presumptuous.)
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    meh. i don't like drinking my calories. If I'm going to have cereal or something I'll use unsweetened almond milk instead
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    meh. i don't like drinking my calories. If I'm going to have cereal or something I'll use unsweetened almond milk instead

But... Doesn't that have calories, as well?
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options

But... Doesn't that have calories, as well?

sure....but like 25 instead of 100.....if I need to have milk for cereal I'd rather only spend a negligible amount of my calorie budget

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I had to recently stop ingesting any forms of dairy due to the severe abdominal pain 30 minutes after consumption, as in 'I-just-swallowed-a-throwing-star' type pain. For example, tonight I was mixing up a batch of food for the sugar gliders which has yogurt in it. Without thinking, I licked a little bit of vanilla yogurt off the spoon. Bad mistake. Pain in 30 minutes.

Cutting milk out for dieting isn't necessary, IMO.
  • daynaxxanne
    daynaxxanne Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I don't drink milk, not because I don't like it, more because I stopped eating things like cereal.. I still eat things like yogurt and cheese and other dairy products and I use it for cooking, however if I'm going to drink something I don't drink anything other than smoothies, tea, and water
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Actually when I study nutrition in college, our professor told us that the human body was never designed to drink cows milk. And the dairy industry is lying to the general public because calcium that is in milk cannot be digested by the human body. It is marketing ploy. They get away with this because it's true calcium is in milk but they fail to tell the general public that calcium in cow's milk cannot be digested by the human body.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Actually when I study nutrition in college, our professor told us that the human body was never designed to drink cows milk. And the dairy industry is lying to the general public because calcium that is in milk cannot be digested by the human body. It is marketing ploy. They get away with this because it's true calcium is in milk but they fail to tell the general public that calcium in cow's milk cannot be digested by the human body.

People say stuff like this all the time but I have a feeling if it was even remotely true it would be common knowledge.

I feel people just like the feeling of being in the minority like they are more enlightened than the masses of uneducated fools.

Any sources other than my professor said so?

But it's obvious our bodies weren't designed for cows milk since there was the millions of years we survived with out domesticating cows.

But that doesn't mean we can't use cows milk or the calcium in it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Actually when I study nutrition in college, our professor told us that the human body was never designed to drink cows milk.

What does this even mean?

I have the gene or genes for lactose persistence, that certainly seems as if my body is suited to drinking milk (I actually don't, but this design argument is so bizarre).
    And the dairy industry is lying to the general public because calcium that is in milk cannot be digested by the human body.

Apparently so is the Harvard school of public health:

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/calcium-full-story/#where
    The body gets the calcium it needs in two ways. One is by eating foods or supplements that contain calcium. Good sources include dairy products, which have the highest concentration per serving of highly absorbable calcium, and dark leafy greens or dried beans, which have varying amounts of absorbable calcium. Calcium supplements often contain vitamin D; taking calcium paired with vitamin D seems to be more beneficial for bone health than taking calcium alone.

Or, perhaps, your information is wrong.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Your professor sounds like a biased individual with an agenda who is using their title of "professor" to push that agenda.

Your professor is wrong and you should take what he/she says with a grain of salt.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Humans the only adult animal on the planet that drinks milk...that should tell you something...

Humans also have the most well developed brain of any adult animal on the planet. That should tell you something.
  • Mathsrunner
    Mathsrunner Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    rsenor wrote: »
    I don't do milk because I'm lactose intolerant, but honestly also because I have just begun to find that drinking another species breast milk is rather gross. Something hit me at one point...would I drink human breast milk or eat human-breast milk made cheese? No...

I should clarify I am not vegan - I still eat meat- but milk just icks me out. It potentially has pus. Eeew.

So do you keep away from eggs too? Or do you like a nice bit of chicken ovulation? Seriously though have you ever looked in to what can go into the every day foods we eat? For instance the silos that house flour/wheat are pretty much impossible to keep clear of rats so there is an acceptable level of rat poop and hair allowed in things like bread as well as yummy ground up insect. Not every peanut in peanut butter is a real peanut of course, it is a freebie added by a rodent. And you can wash that peanut butter sandwich down with a nice glass of freshly pressed juice and insect. Milk should be the least of your worries ;)
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    Well, there certainly are a lot of people with lactose intolerance, judging by how many mention it, so it's obvious that from a health point of view dairy products definitely aren't suitable for everyone. Some say consuming dairy negatively affects their skin, for others it's their digestive system that suffers, but many go on to mention the problems improved or disappeared completely when they stopped eating dairy.

Apart from health reasons, I think the main reason to cut dairy from your diet completely is the ethical one. Vegans won't financially support the meat/egg/dairy industries because of bad practices in farming resulting in cruelty and unnecessary suffering inflicted on many farm animals (especially intensively farmed ones) but also because there are plenty of healthy alternative foods available to eat instead.

Whether it's hens, chicks, dairy cows and their calves or animals raised for meat, many of them are denied sometimes even their most basic needs. Since animals are conscious beings (experience hunger, thirst, pain, emotions etc) they deserve at the very least better treatment.

Anyway, here's an amusing little something from vegansidekick.com:

Omnivore: OMG, vegans are so self-righteous! You think you're better than other people.
    Vegan: No I don't. I just don't want to harm animals.
    Omni: Yeah well, you just do that because you think it makes you right, and then you feel proud of yourself.
    Vegan: Er yeah, that's called having a conscience. What's the alternative? Do what I know is harmful and then feel bad about it?
    Omni: Yeah.

:smile:
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Well, there certainly are a lot of people with lactose intolerance, judging by how many mention it, so it's obvious that from a health point of view dairy products definitely aren't suitable for everyone. Some say consuming dairy negatively affects their skin, for others it's their digestive system that suffers, but many go on to mention the problems improved or disappeared completely when they stopped eating dairy.

Apart from health reasons, I think the main reason to cut dairy from your diet completely is the ethical one. Vegans won't financially support the meat/egg/dairy industries because of bad practices in farming resulting in cruelty and unnecessary suffering inflicted on many farm animals (especially intensively farmed ones) but also because there are plenty of healthy alternative foods available to eat instead.

Whether it's hens, chicks, dairy cows and their calves or animals raised for meat, many of them are denied sometimes even their most basic needs. Since animals are conscious beings (experience hunger, thirst, pain, emotions etc) they deserve at the very least better treatment.

Anyway, here's an amusing little something from vegansidekick.com:

Omnivore: OMG, vegans are so self-righteous! You think you're better than other people.
    Vegan: No I don't. I just don't want to harm animals.
    Omni: Yeah well, you just do that because you think it makes you right, and then you feel proud of yourself.
    Vegan: Er yeah, that's called having a conscience. What's the alternative? Do what I know is harmful and then feel bad about it?
    Omni: Yeah.

:smile:

I couldn't care less what anyone else eats, but living creatures are hurt in the farming of plant foods too.
  • VictoryGarden
    VictoryGarden Posts: 194 Member
    Options

Spoken like a true city kid.

So cats, dogs/wolves/coyotes, raccoons, possums, mice & rats, the occasional ground hog, and even some birds that go ape crazy when you leave out milk don't count as adult animals? Cause I guarantee you if you dump a gallon of milk in a bowl and leave it outside in my neck of the woods, it will be gone the next day, without another human within 100 yards of it.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

We're also the only adult animal on the planet making irrelevant forum comments.

Or who wears clothes.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options

Wow, that has to be the most ridiculous answer on this thread yet.

"Humans are the only adult animal on the planet that "insert just about anything humans do here". If we didn't do the things humans do, we wouldn't be here, chatting on this fabulous bit of technology. Which is, by the way, yet another thing that only humans do.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »

Wow, that has to be the most ridiculous answer on this thread yet.

"Humans are the only adult animal on the planet that "insert just about anything humans do here". If we didn't do the things humans do, we wouldn't be here, chatting on this fabulous bit of technology. Which is, by the way, yet another thing that only humans do.

Not true

9mczs3mgoryy.jpeg
  • jprewitt1
    jprewitt1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

We're also the only adult animal on the planet making irrelevant forum comments.

Or who wears clothes.

Not true. My dog has a sweatshirt that he likes to wear for all of five minutes before freaking out and laying on the floor until someone takes it off him.