Quit eating meat?

Should I quit eating meat to help me lose weight?

Replies

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Only if you want to. But why would you want to? It's not necessary. Calorie deficit is the only thing necessary for weight loss.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    No.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    If I didn't eat meat I would not be successful. But that's me. I don't like other protein sources, or they just don't fit my goals. Meat will not hinder weight loss when you're in a caloric deficit.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    There are some good reasons to quit eating meat, mostly about the environment and animal welfare, but stopping in order to lose weight isn't one of them.

By all means stop if you find it an easy way to maintain a calorie deficit, or at least go for leaner cuts of meat.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    There are some good reasons to quit eating meat, mostly about the environment and animal welfare, but stopping in order to lose weight isn't one of them.

By all means stop if you find it an easy way to maintain a calorie deficit, or at least go for leaner cuts of meat.

LIES

*points accusingly*
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Lots of people naturally lose weight on a vegan diet. If you eat more plant foods with more fiber you tend to be less hungry and may take in less calories, and fats are easier to overeat on. That being said, if you correctly track your macros, this shouldn't matter too much.

I personally went vegan and cut out added sugars/most processed foods for a bit and found myself losing weight while trying to maintain. I also felt a lot better too :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    You lose weight by having a calorie deficit. You can have that with or without meat. Meat is a great source of protein though and you can eat leaner meats if you'd like.
  • cthakkar1985
    cthakkar1985 Posts: 137 Member
    There is no particular food or types of foods that cause weight gain. You can eat cookies, meat, nachos, pizza, ice cream, i.e. whatever you want. Each of these foods has an associated caloric value. Add up the caloric value of everything you ate in a given day and if that total is less what you burned in that day, you'll lose weight.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    It's not gonna help you lose weight. But if you don't want to eat it, or want to stop eating it for ethical reasons, do that.
  • hamstertango
    hamstertango Posts: 129 Member
    edited March 2016
    No, not unless you have strong reason to not to eat meat (a strong reason does not include weight loss)
    From a vegetarian of 27 years
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    You should quit eating meat if you care about anima welfare and the environment more than your personal taste and nutrition preference, but it won't help you lose weight unless your new diet happens to contain less calories than your current one.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    You never have to eliminate anything from your diet. Eating at an appropriate deficit will help you lose weight.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    No. Doing so will not help with weight loss. If you have other reasons to stop, that is different.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    If you stop eating meat and don't replace the meat with anything, you will probably lose weight. Eating other foods instead of meat will not make you lose weight. Nothing helps anybody lose weight. A calorie deficit produces weight loss. You have to decide what you want to eat and not eat.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Why would you do something so terrible and horrible?!

I need a steak now to deal with this traumatic thought.

By the way, there are fat vegans and vegetarians.
  • Squirrel698
    Squirrel698 Posts: 127 Member
    edited March 2016
    Yes. Meat is murder.

It's true that not eating it is no guarantee of weight loss. Although if you deal with the crushing guilt of destroying another thinking creature just to satisfy some arbitrary craving of yours by overeating, then yes, you'll lose weight.

Also! if you cut out meat, you cut out a lot of temptation. Your buddies are having pepperoni pizza? You'd like some but you don't eat meat so ... no extra calories for you. They pull out a bucket of wings. Same thing. You get to be happy with your reasonable hummus and pita chips.
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    DavPul wrote: »
    No.

^^^This^^^
  • hamstertango
    hamstertango Posts: 129 Member
    misskarne wrote: »
    Why would you do something so terrible and horrible?!

I need a steak now to deal with this traumatic thought.

By the way, there are fat vegans and vegetarians.

Yes plenty of us, hence the reason why I'm on MFP
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Yes. Meat is murder.

^^^No. It is not murder - it is food.^^^
  • Squirrel698
    Squirrel698 Posts: 127 Member
    Yes. Meat is murder.

^^^No. It is not murder - it is food.^^^

Using that logic, you are also food my friend.