Ground beef, draining fat...

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Try grass fed ground buffalo/bison - it's 96% fat free, a 4 oz serving is only 125 calories, 4 gms fat, and 25 gms protein and tastes much better than ground beef.

I'm sure that it does, at $10 a pound or something ridiculous...

Heck even the $8 a pound of 93% beef is too much for me most of the time.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I do Bison every once in a while its great with grilled egg plant slices for the bun some mushrooms red peppers and a unique cheese Very very good. Typically I can make 4 patties with a pound that stay the same size when cooked so for $20.00 I can make four meals cheaper than fast food and its fun to make.. Another meal is shrimp I get 16-20 size shrimp already cooked tail off 2lbs for $19.00 even if I eat 8 ounces at a time its under $5 a serving.

Back to the ground beef I try to buy ground beef in the 3-5lb packages split it into three packages and save $2.00 a pound.
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I think most of what you drain in store bought beef is water. I buy beef by the quarter processed locally and am amazed how little water is in it, how low the shrinkage is.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Ws2016 wrote: »
    I think most of what you drain in store bought beef is water. I buy beef by the quarter processed locally and am amazed how little water is in it, how low the shrinkage is.

Less shrinkage with less cold water makes sense.
  • bonforyou
    bonforyou Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If you think rinsing it is bad...I actually boil my raw ground beef to cook it. Then I drain it and rinse it with very hot water! Whatever I cook it in absorbs all the flavor and my husband can't even tell the difference! Figure it takes a bit more fat out, if not that's okay just my way of doing it.

Grossed out yet?
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    i must be of the rare few that buys 90/10 mostly ha.
  • bonforyou
    bonforyou Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I normally buy 97/3, but still boil, drain and rinse.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    No, but if you want weigh after cooking and use the cooked entry.

I buy low fat ground beef when possible, but since I buy from a farm I often have no choice and assume it's a higher fat cut.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    bonforyou wrote: »
    I normally buy 97/3, but still boil, drain and rinse.

You boil and rinse ground beef?
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    jenovatrix wrote: »
    Rinsing is also dangerous. Some people grew up thinking you're supposed to rinse chicken but all that does is put loads of bacteria in your sink and wherever else that water might splash.

I think they mean that they rinse the cooked meat to remove excess fat, not rinse the raw meat.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    brb_2013 wrote: »
    There's still more fat in the meat than is released, you log it as you bought it. Sorry!

I bought 80/20 once when it was on sale, and after logging and realizing I only had room for 50g and seeing my sad sad taco I decided to switch away from beef. It isn't worth it to me, cost or calories.

Dude, the beef is TOTALLY worth it! The tortilla really isn't, though. That's the problem with your taco. :)
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    brb_2013 wrote: »
    There's still more fat in the meat than is released, you log it as you bought it. Sorry!

I bought 80/20 once when it was on sale, and after logging and realizing I only had room for 50g and seeing my sad sad taco I decided to switch away from beef. It isn't worth it to me, cost or calories.

Dude, the beef is TOTALLY worth it! The tortilla really isn't, though. That's the problem with your taco. :)

Have you ever had homemade flour tortillas? Trust me, they are worth it.

My mother in law lives with us and makes flour tortillas every day. They're amazing. And still not worth it to me. They're probably the primary reason I'm ON this site! :)
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Hey all!
    I'm confused on the ground beef...if I get a higher fat, say 80/20 ground beef, but I drain all the greasy fat after cooking, can I count it on my diary as a lower % fat ground beef? If so, what do you count it as? 85/15? 90/10? 93/7?

Thanks!

I do exactly this: I'll cook 16 oz. of 80/20, brown it, and log it as 15 oz of 85/15.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    If you aren't eating the fat, you should buy a lower fat percentage. The money saved on 80/20 is negated as you are getting less edible product (for you).

80/20 burgs is my jam!
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    why eat it at all? Boiling, draining and rinsing....why eat it?

• Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I was serious in my question. I don't eat hamburger or ground beef but do eat other meats.
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Sherbog wrote: »
    I was serious in my question. I don't eat hamburger or ground beef but do eat other meats.

Because tacos and hamburgers aren't gonna eat themselves.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »

I say I eat 95% of the time 90/10 but, for burgers I like 80/20 better.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Sherbog wrote: »

To be fair I just cook it and drain it only if it looks too greasy. I just cook it and eat it and it is delicious which is why I eat it.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »

most of the stores in my area dont carry 90/10.walmart sometimes will but the lowest you can get in my area is the 80/20.I kid you not.I have to go out of the county to get anything leaner than that.