Ground beef, draining fat...

Options
13»

Replies

• Rick_Nelson81
    Rick_Nelson81 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Ya, that's pretty typical in my experience too. I opt for ground turkey, it always has a lot less liquid afterward. As far as how much of it is fat as opposed to water, I've seen a lot of it solidify, so... ya that's fat. Still less than beef, and with the right seasonings, it tastes good to me. I do love me a good steak from time to time though!
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    i must be of the rare few that buys 90/10 mostly ha.

I say I eat 95% of the time 90/10 but, for burgers I like 80/20 better.

oh yea for burgers I for sure buy 80/20.

most of the stores in my area dont carry 90/10.walmart sometimes will but the lowest you can get in my area is the 80/20.I kid you not.I have to go out of the county to get anything leaner than that.

Whole foods has both.. I buy them for different things. usually 80/20 for burgers.. 90/10 for everything else.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

most of the stores in my area dont carry 90/10.walmart sometimes will but the lowest you can get in my area is the 80/20.I kid you not.I have to go out of the county to get anything leaner than that.

Whole foods has both.. I buy them for different things. usually 80/20 for burgers.. 90/10 for everything else.

we dont have a whole foods in my whole state. we dont have a costco either,no trader joes,etc.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options

we dont have a whole foods in my whole state. we dont have a costco either,no trader joes,etc.

there are like 3 in a 15 mile radius of my house... Oh San Diego and your need to spend extra on the same food. Its actually the closes food store to my home. Was fresh and easy.. but... RIP
  • 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    If you can grind you cheap low fat meat. A way better product then any high quality ground beef.
    Looks better, tastes better and lower fat.
  • awsb06
    awsb06 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Not what you asked, but. Draining delicious beef fat is a sad, sad practice :s

I do it sometimes if it seems like it will make the whole recipe too greasy, but what kills me is people who RINSE the meat.

Rinse the meat? That sounds gross!

Guilty! I can't imagine not draining and rinsing it...
  • Cindy01Louisiana
    Cindy01Louisiana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    jenovatrix wrote: »
    Rinsing is also dangerous. Some people grew up thinking you're supposed to rinse chicken but all that does is put loads of bacteria in your sink and wherever else that water might splash.

On the rinsing, I've seen people do this -- and I think that's what the person meant when rinsing was first mentioned here -- some people rinse the ground beef AFTER cooking it to remove the extra fat. In other words, they remove the flavor and leave the texture. Ick.
  • Cindy01Louisiana
    Cindy01Louisiana Posts: 302 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    6pkdreamer wrote: »
    If you can grind you cheap low fat meat. A way better product then any high quality ground beef.

I would imagine that very few people have the time and equipment to do that. I don't think I would right now. Seems like my life these days is commuting, working, commuting again, gym, looking for leftovers in the freezer, showering, sleeping - lather, rinse, repeat. I can't imagine trying to fit in grinding my own beef.
  • buff_babe
    buff_babe Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Rinsing is also dangerous. Some people grew up thinking you're supposed to rinse chicken but all that does is put loads of bacteria in your sink and wherever else that water might splash.

So . . . . wash your sink and the surrounding area when you're done.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

I would imagine that very few people have the time and equipment to do that. I don't think I would right now. Seems like my life these days is commuting, working, commuting again, gym, looking for leftovers in the freezer, showering, sleeping - lather, rinse, repeat. I can't imagine trying to fit in grinding my own beef.

I ground up some venison for dinner last night. It took about 10 min to get out the grinder, run 1.5 lbs of meat through it and wash it up. I have a meat grinding attachment for my Kitchenaid mixer. Since most of our ground meat is venison we do most of our own grinding. I think it tastes better if freshly ground so we freeze it in chunks and grind it as we need it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

It's not particularly time consuming; it just requires the right equipment.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options

On the rinsing, I've seen people do this -- and I think that's what the person meant when rinsing was first mentioned here -- some people rinse the ground beef AFTER cooking it to remove the extra fat. In other words, they remove the flavor and leave the texture. Ick.

When I am using ground beef I am generally making it as part of a casserole or mixed in with something so I add spices - taco spices, chili, etc. I do rinse the fat off after browning it because I do NOT like greasy food. If I were merely eating the beef by itself and no sauce / spices - I guess it would be pretty tasteless...but since I'm mixing it in with tomato sauce, spices, etc....there is plenty of flavor.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    buff_babe wrote: »

So . . . . wash your sink and the surrounding area when you're done.

I know, right? A little bleach or a Lysol wipe and all is well.
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I buy 80/20 beef as buying a 6-7lb pack is almost half the price per pound as a leaner beef. I log it as 80/20 and just work out harder those days. Or not, whatevs. Tasty beef is worth it me though.