Ack! help. 46% body fat.

Options
2»

Replies

• NotSoPerfectPam
    NotSoPerfectPam Posts: 114 Member
    Options

aggelikik wrote: »

Do some resistance training because it is good for your health, not because it will affect your BMR. You are not going to impact significantly yout body fat percentage by strength training, if this is what you are hoping for. This will happen by losing weight, you are not going to gain tons of muscle, not enough to really make a significant change in your BMR, which is not crappy BTW, considering you are a middle aged woman and not a 18 year old male athlete ;)

Thank you - this is what I was looking for!! OK
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Why don't you eat back exercise calories?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Weight training has direct benefits for weight loss (i.e. the calorie burn from the weight training itself), plus even more indirect and long-term benefits (improved movement, conservation of lean mass). It is not "step 2" of a weight loss program. It should be done from the very start.

For someone who is obese and untrained, a lower-weight, higher volume program is a good place to start. This is true for the following reasons:

1. As a beginner, you will see increased strength results from relatively low weights.

2. Lower weights will be easier on the joints and soft tissues.

3. A higher volume of lower weights will result in a higher calorie burn than lifting heavy weights.

4. Lower weights will allow you to focus on form, decrease initial muscle soreness, and gain confidence.

In the beginning, it is best to choose exercises that involve large muscle groups and compound movements. Step ups, body weight squats, chest press, lat pulldown or row, shoulder press. You can also use machines for these same exercises--doesn't make any difference at first. Depending on one's size, it can sometimes be more comfortable to use cable machines because they are a better fit.

Don't get bogged down looking for the "perfect" program. There are many ways to introduce resistance training into your routine.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Thanks, but I meant specifically about building muscle and whether it would impact calorie burn

Not in any significant way. A pound of fat burns about 2 calories per day, a pound of muscle burns about 6 calories per day. So even if you were to lose 10 pounds of fat and add 10 pounds of muscle (which is a significant gain and would take a lot of time), the difference in calories burned would be about 40 calories per day.

There are a lot of benefits and good reasons to strength train, but direct calorie burn from the added muscle isn't a significant one.
  • NotSoPerfectPam
    NotSoPerfectPam Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »

I'd rather have a consistent daily calorie target. If I think I can eat more on exercise days, I will. So, I set my target of 1 lb a week, and hope to burn off more through exercise
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »

I'd rather have a consistent daily calorie target. If I think I can eat more on exercise days, I will. So, I set my target of 1 lb a week, and hope to burn off more through exercise

That's exactly what I've been doing, and seem to be achieving more consistent results. Now if I had a very low calorie allowance or huge burns, I wouldn't do or recommend that, but my calories are high enough and my burns modest enough that it works for me. It think it helps make up for any sloppy logging.