Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Extreme Hormonal Imbalance :Sharing Numerous Side Effects from SHakeology anyone else?

245

Replies

  • mathjulzmathjulz Posts: 5,550Member Member Posts: 5,550Member Member
    What subject are you wanting to debate? It sounds like you were allergic to something in shakes and probably overeating.

    Why is shakeology marketed as a meal replacement when it is more like an Herbal Supplement.

    Why couldn't it be both?

    It is marketed as the "healthiest meal of the day" as a meal REPLACEMENT but then it contains alot of herbal remedies. It is as if they got a whole GNC store and combined 70 ingredients to make the, "healthiest meal of the day"

    I'm not sure what your point is. You consumed something for 6 months without bothering to check out the ingredients and despite the fact that you were having an adverse reaction to it. Hopefully you learned a lesson.

    I don't see why anyone would assume something being advertised as a "meal replacement" would mean it has no herbal supplements in it. I would imagine most premade meal replacement shakes have supplements.

    Doesn't Shakeology have a "proprietary blend of ..." ? They make it particularly difficult to know exactly what is in it (which, for me, means avoid :wink:)

    I do think that OP may have some allergies or intolerances that might not be in the common population. But I also appreciate a former "coach" sharing her experiences. It may help some people who are considering this kind of product.

    I don't see anything wrong with protein shakes. But they are available for a much more reasonable price elsewhere. And, the whole "proprietary blend" thing keeping us from knowing exactly what we're consuming bothers me.
  • Becky71_cmBecky71_cm Posts: 24Member Member Posts: 24Member Member
    Thanks for sharing! I have experience with another MLM company and had some of the same results from their shakes and cleanses I couldn't do it. Tried cutting the serving size down till almost none. One of the problems is b12 I believe. Used to help with energy cause you don't get what's needed. My heart raced like crazy, I felt instantly in fight or flight mode, I sure another vitamin played into it as well. I've never been a fan of meal replacement shakes but looked into the business as good friends have been part of it for years. (They seem to want nothing to do with us now) BB Coaches I run from. I can't tolerate the fake friendship stuff. They treat you as prey and seem to dive in for the "kill" out of nowhere.

    The earth provides us with plenty of great foods and nutrition, and unless a medical need arises, we should stay far away from these shakes, they are not natural or clean.
  • Need2Exerc1seNeed2Exerc1se Posts: 13,589Member Member Posts: 13,589Member Member
    mathjulz wrote: »
    What subject are you wanting to debate? It sounds like you were allergic to something in shakes and probably overeating.

    Why is shakeology marketed as a meal replacement when it is more like an Herbal Supplement.

    Why couldn't it be both?

    It is marketed as the "healthiest meal of the day" as a meal REPLACEMENT but then it contains alot of herbal remedies. It is as if they got a whole GNC store and combined 70 ingredients to make the, "healthiest meal of the day"

    I'm not sure what your point is. You consumed something for 6 months without bothering to check out the ingredients and despite the fact that you were having an adverse reaction to it. Hopefully you learned a lesson.

    I don't see why anyone would assume something being advertised as a "meal replacement" would mean it has no herbal supplements in it. I would imagine most premade meal replacement shakes have supplements.

    Doesn't Shakeology have a "proprietary blend of ..." ? They make it particularly difficult to know exactly what is in it (which, for me, means avoid :wink:)

    I do think that OP may have some allergies or intolerances that might not be in the common population. But I also appreciate a former "coach" sharing her experiences. It may help some people who are considering this kind of product.

    I don't see anything wrong with protein shakes. But they are available for a much more reasonable price elsewhere. And, the whole "proprietary blend" thing keeping us from knowing exactly what we're consuming bothers me.

    Hmm, well that's interesting. If the ingredients aren't known, it makes me wonder how much of the OP is just an disgruntled rant against the rival coach mentioned.
  • Sabine_StroehmSabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,388Member Member Posts: 19,388Member Member
    mathjulz wrote: »
    What subject are you wanting to debate? It sounds like you were allergic to something in shakes and probably overeating.

    Why is shakeology marketed as a meal replacement when it is more like an Herbal Supplement.

    Why couldn't it be both?

    It is marketed as the "healthiest meal of the day" as a meal REPLACEMENT but then it contains alot of herbal remedies. It is as if they got a whole GNC store and combined 70 ingredients to make the, "healthiest meal of the day"

    I'm not sure what your point is. You consumed something for 6 months without bothering to check out the ingredients and despite the fact that you were having an adverse reaction to it. Hopefully you learned a lesson.

    I don't see why anyone would assume something being advertised as a "meal replacement" would mean it has no herbal supplements in it. I would imagine most premade meal replacement shakes have supplements.

    Doesn't Shakeology have a "proprietary blend of ..." ? They make it particularly difficult to know exactly what is in it (which, for me, means avoid :wink:)

    I do think that OP may have some allergies or intolerances that might not be in the common population. But I also appreciate a former "coach" sharing her experiences. It may help some people who are considering this kind of product.

    I don't see anything wrong with protein shakes. But they are available for a much more reasonable price elsewhere. And, the whole "proprietary blend" thing keeping us from knowing exactly what we're consuming bothers me.

    Hmm, well that's interesting. If the ingredients aren't known, it makes me wonder how much of the OP is just an disgruntled rant against the rival coach mentioned.

    I'm just taking her post at face value. She thought she was doing something smart. She learned she wasn't. Now she's zealously informing others.
  • Sabine_StroehmSabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,388Member Member Posts: 19,388Member Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

    Wow. I had no idea it had so many alternative medicines, herbs and what not in it. Lordy.
  • CurlyCockneyCurlyCockney Posts: 1,394Member Member Posts: 1,394Member Member
    mathjulz wrote: »
    What subject are you wanting to debate? It sounds like you were allergic to something in shakes and probably overeating.

    Why is shakeology marketed as a meal replacement when it is more like an Herbal Supplement.

    Why couldn't it be both?

    It is marketed as the "healthiest meal of the day" as a meal REPLACEMENT but then it contains alot of herbal remedies. It is as if they got a whole GNC store and combined 70 ingredients to make the, "healthiest meal of the day"

    I'm not sure what your point is. You consumed something for 6 months without bothering to check out the ingredients and despite the fact that you were having an adverse reaction to it. Hopefully you learned a lesson.

    I don't see why anyone would assume something being advertised as a "meal replacement" would mean it has no herbal supplements in it. I would imagine most premade meal replacement shakes have supplements.

    Doesn't Shakeology have a "proprietary blend of ..." ? They make it particularly difficult to know exactly what is in it (which, for me, means avoid :wink:)

    I do think that OP may have some allergies or intolerances that might not be in the common population. But I also appreciate a former "coach" sharing her experiences. It may help some people who are considering this kind of product.

    I don't see anything wrong with protein shakes. But they are available for a much more reasonable price elsewhere. And, the whole "proprietary blend" thing keeping us from knowing exactly what we're consuming bothers me.

    Hmm, well that's interesting. If the ingredients aren't known, it makes me wonder how much of the OP is just an disgruntled rant against the rival coach mentioned.

    They aren't allowed to sell it in the UK/EU, which tells me all I need to know about any ingredients or claims that they make ;-)

    https://faq.beachbody.co.uk/app/answers/detail/a_id/9532/kw/uk/~/shakeology---availability-in-the-uk/lob/beach
  • Need2Exerc1seNeed2Exerc1se Posts: 13,589Member Member Posts: 13,589Member Member
    mathjulz wrote: »
    What subject are you wanting to debate? It sounds like you were allergic to something in shakes and probably overeating.

    Why is shakeology marketed as a meal replacement when it is more like an Herbal Supplement.

    Why couldn't it be both?

    It is marketed as the "healthiest meal of the day" as a meal REPLACEMENT but then it contains alot of herbal remedies. It is as if they got a whole GNC store and combined 70 ingredients to make the, "healthiest meal of the day"

    I'm not sure what your point is. You consumed something for 6 months without bothering to check out the ingredients and despite the fact that you were having an adverse reaction to it. Hopefully you learned a lesson.

    I don't see why anyone would assume something being advertised as a "meal replacement" would mean it has no herbal supplements in it. I would imagine most premade meal replacement shakes have supplements.

    Doesn't Shakeology have a "proprietary blend of ..." ? They make it particularly difficult to know exactly what is in it (which, for me, means avoid :wink:)

    I do think that OP may have some allergies or intolerances that might not be in the common population. But I also appreciate a former "coach" sharing her experiences. It may help some people who are considering this kind of product.

    I don't see anything wrong with protein shakes. But they are available for a much more reasonable price elsewhere. And, the whole "proprietary blend" thing keeping us from knowing exactly what we're consuming bothers me.

    Hmm, well that's interesting. If the ingredients aren't known, it makes me wonder how much of the OP is just an disgruntled rant against the rival coach mentioned.

    I'm just taking her post at face value. She thought she was doing something smart. She learned she wasn't. Now she's zealously informing others.

    Yeah, I got that. ;)

    I find it hard to believe that her results are common given how many people drink Shakeology regularly. But it's possible that more people have these reactions than report it. I doubt many continue drinking it for 6 months after they experience negative effects. Most probably just cancel the subscription and move on to something else.
  • Need2Exerc1seNeed2Exerc1se Posts: 13,589Member Member Posts: 13,589Member Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

    Kind of hard to say they are hiding their herbal ingredients after seeing that.
  • Sabine_StroehmSabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,388Member Member Posts: 19,388Member Member
    mathjulz wrote: »
    What subject are you wanting to debate? It sounds like you were allergic to something in shakes and probably overeating.

    Why is shakeology marketed as a meal replacement when it is more like an Herbal Supplement.

    Why couldn't it be both?

    It is marketed as the "healthiest meal of the day" as a meal REPLACEMENT but then it contains alot of herbal remedies. It is as if they got a whole GNC store and combined 70 ingredients to make the, "healthiest meal of the day"

    I'm not sure what your point is. You consumed something for 6 months without bothering to check out the ingredients and despite the fact that you were having an adverse reaction to it. Hopefully you learned a lesson.

    I don't see why anyone would assume something being advertised as a "meal replacement" would mean it has no herbal supplements in it. I would imagine most premade meal replacement shakes have supplements.

    Doesn't Shakeology have a "proprietary blend of ..." ? They make it particularly difficult to know exactly what is in it (which, for me, means avoid :wink:)

    I do think that OP may have some allergies or intolerances that might not be in the common population. But I also appreciate a former "coach" sharing her experiences. It may help some people who are considering this kind of product.

    I don't see anything wrong with protein shakes. But they are available for a much more reasonable price elsewhere. And, the whole "proprietary blend" thing keeping us from knowing exactly what we're consuming bothers me.

    Hmm, well that's interesting. If the ingredients aren't known, it makes me wonder how much of the OP is just an disgruntled rant against the rival coach mentioned.

    I'm just taking her post at face value. She thought she was doing something smart. She learned she wasn't. Now she's zealously informing others.

    Yeah, I got that. ;)

    I find it hard to believe that her results are common given how many people drink Shakeology regularly. But it's possible that more people have these reactions than report it. I doubt many continue drinking it for 6 months after they experience negative effects. Most probably just cancel the subscription and move on to something else.

    I bet her results are somewhat common. Folks don't always see slowly arising issues. But who knows. Ashtanga is known to affect thyroid issues. Perhaps she had one.
    edited March 2016
  • Need2Exerc1seNeed2Exerc1se Posts: 13,589Member Member Posts: 13,589Member Member
    mathjulz wrote: »
    What subject are you wanting to debate? It sounds like you were allergic to something in shakes and probably overeating.

    Why is shakeology marketed as a meal replacement when it is more like an Herbal Supplement.

    Why couldn't it be both?

    It is marketed as the "healthiest meal of the day" as a meal REPLACEMENT but then it contains alot of herbal remedies. It is as if they got a whole GNC store and combined 70 ingredients to make the, "healthiest meal of the day"

    I'm not sure what your point is. You consumed something for 6 months without bothering to check out the ingredients and despite the fact that you were having an adverse reaction to it. Hopefully you learned a lesson.

    I don't see why anyone would assume something being advertised as a "meal replacement" would mean it has no herbal supplements in it. I would imagine most premade meal replacement shakes have supplements.

    Doesn't Shakeology have a "proprietary blend of ..." ? They make it particularly difficult to know exactly what is in it (which, for me, means avoid :wink:)

    I do think that OP may have some allergies or intolerances that might not be in the common population. But I also appreciate a former "coach" sharing her experiences. It may help some people who are considering this kind of product.

    I don't see anything wrong with protein shakes. But they are available for a much more reasonable price elsewhere. And, the whole "proprietary blend" thing keeping us from knowing exactly what we're consuming bothers me.

    Hmm, well that's interesting. If the ingredients aren't known, it makes me wonder how much of the OP is just an disgruntled rant against the rival coach mentioned.

    I'm just taking her post at face value. She thought she was doing something smart. She learned she wasn't. Now she's zealously informing others.

    Yeah, I got that. ;)

    I find it hard to believe that her results are common given how many people drink Shakeology regularly. But it's possible that more people have these reactions than report it. I doubt many continue drinking it for 6 months after they experience negative effects. Most probably just cancel the subscription and move on to something else.

    I bet her results are somewhat common. Folks don't always see slowly arising issues. But who knows.

    Interesting. Why do you suppose it's common?

    For the record I have no stake in this game, just curious.
  • ClosetBayesianClosetBayesian Posts: 834Member Member Posts: 834Member Member
    Didn't think it was legal to not put something on a nutrition label; that label looks pretty complete. What in there is "hidden"? Additionally, I believe "proprietary blend" means they don't have to state the concentrations of certain ingredients, but they do have to list them. Seems like they're all there.
  • Sabine_StroehmSabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,388Member Member Posts: 19,388Member Member
    mathjulz wrote: »
    What subject are you wanting to debate? It sounds like you were allergic to something in shakes and probably overeating.

    Why is shakeology marketed as a meal replacement when it is more like an Herbal Supplement.

    Why couldn't it be both?

    It is marketed as the "healthiest meal of the day" as a meal REPLACEMENT but then it contains alot of herbal remedies. It is as if they got a whole GNC store and combined 70 ingredients to make the, "healthiest meal of the day"

    I'm not sure what your point is. You consumed something for 6 months without bothering to check out the ingredients and despite the fact that you were having an adverse reaction to it. Hopefully you learned a lesson.

    I don't see why anyone would assume something being advertised as a "meal replacement" would mean it has no herbal supplements in it. I would imagine most premade meal replacement shakes have supplements.

    Doesn't Shakeology have a "proprietary blend of ..." ? They make it particularly difficult to know exactly what is in it (which, for me, means avoid :wink:)

    I do think that OP may have some allergies or intolerances that might not be in the common population. But I also appreciate a former "coach" sharing her experiences. It may help some people who are considering this kind of product.

    I don't see anything wrong with protein shakes. But they are available for a much more reasonable price elsewhere. And, the whole "proprietary blend" thing keeping us from knowing exactly what we're consuming bothers me.

    Hmm, well that's interesting. If the ingredients aren't known, it makes me wonder how much of the OP is just an disgruntled rant against the rival coach mentioned.

    I'm just taking her post at face value. She thought she was doing something smart. She learned she wasn't. Now she's zealously informing others.

    Yeah, I got that. ;)

    I find it hard to believe that her results are common given how many people drink Shakeology regularly. But it's possible that more people have these reactions than report it. I doubt many continue drinking it for 6 months after they experience negative effects. Most probably just cancel the subscription and move on to something else.

    I bet her results are somewhat common. Folks don't always see slowly arising issues. But who knows.

    Interesting. Why do you suppose it's common?

    For the record I have no stake in this game, just curious.

    Because they are piling together a whole host of alternative medicines, all of which have their own known potential side effects. All in one shake.
  • lemurcat12lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886Member Member Posts: 30,886Member Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

    Kind of hard to say they are hiding their herbal ingredients after seeing that.

    Agreed.
  • Need2Exerc1seNeed2Exerc1se Posts: 13,589Member Member Posts: 13,589Member Member
    Didn't think it was legal to not put something on a nutrition label; that label looks pretty complete. What in there is "hidden"? Additionally, I believe "proprietary blend" means they don't have to state the concentrations of certain ingredients, but they do have to list them. Seems like they're all there.

    I agree. If the debate is whether Shakeology is doing something shady I feel like the OP has failed to make her case. If you blindly buy into marketing hype for anything without checking it out I don't see how you have anyone but yourself to blame for consequences.
  • mathjulzmathjulz Posts: 5,550Member Member Posts: 5,550Member Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

    Wow, first time I've seen that. I have looked before when friends were selling something, and remember just seeing the proprietary blend stuff. Although, TBH, I don't recall if it was this one or another of those shakes/drinks/"supplements" that go around.
  • Soundwave79Soundwave79 Posts: 469Member Member Posts: 469Member Member
    mathjulz wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

    Wow, first time I've seen that. I have looked before when friends were selling something, and remember just seeing the proprietary blend stuff. Although, TBH, I don't recall if it was this one or another of those shakes/drinks/"supplements" that go around.

    I mean it's right on the back of the bag and is freely available on the internet. Now as to the actual health benefits to all those ingredients I've read a few breakdowns that show the dosage levels on most of them are so minute they are basically moot. But I know how my body feels when I am drinking it as opposed to when I'm not and I can tell a pretty distinct difference. So there is something in there that totally agrees with me. The way I buy it I get it for about half of what Beachbody sells it for so for me it comes out to about $2 a shake. It's worth the money for me.

  • kimny72kimny72 Posts: 14,065Member Member Posts: 14,065Member Member
    I used Shakeology for around a year - I'm not proud to admit that. I never experienced any side effects, and the ingredients are clearly listed on the back of the bag. Considering how many ingredients are in the powder, my assumption is there isn't very much of any one thing. In fact, the reason I quit taking it is because I figured out I had been duped into paying a lot of money for a crappy protein powder with tiny miniscule unverifiable amounts of 100 other ingredients that weren't proven to do anything anyway. I've heard lots of people complain about Shakeology, but never about hormonal side effects.

    OP, I'm sorry you experienced this, and I agree that no one should be buying Shakeology. But I don't think what you experienced is at all common. Feel free however to continue to tell people not to waste money on it, because even in the best case it's a dreadfully expensive placebo.
  • Natural_is_betterNatural_is_better Posts: 42Member Member Posts: 42Member Member
    mathjulz wrote: »
    What subject are you wanting to debate? It sounds like you were allergic to something in shakes and probably overeating.

    Why is shakeology marketed as a meal replacement when it is more like an Herbal Supplement.

    Why couldn't it be both?

    It is marketed as the "healthiest meal of the day" as a meal REPLACEMENT but then it contains alot of herbal remedies. It is as if they got a whole GNC store and combined 70 ingredients to make the, "healthiest meal of the day"

    I'm not sure what your point is. You consumed something for 6 months without bothering to check out the ingredients and despite the fact that you were having an adverse reaction to it. Hopefully you learned a lesson.

    I don't see why anyone would assume something being advertised as a "meal replacement" would mean it has no herbal supplements in it. I would imagine most premade meal replacement shakes have supplements.

    Doesn't Shakeology have a "proprietary blend of ..." ? They make it particularly difficult to know exactly what is in it (which, for me, means avoid :wink:)

    I do think that OP may have some allergies or intolerances that might not be in the common population. But I also appreciate a former "coach" sharing her experiences. It may help some people who are considering this kind of product.

    I don't see anything wrong with protein shakes. But they are available for a much more reasonable price elsewhere. And, the whole "proprietary blend" thing keeping us from knowing exactly what we're consuming bothers me.

    Hmm, well that's interesting. If the ingredients aren't known, it makes me wonder how much of the OP is just an disgruntled rant against the rival coach mentioned.

    lol :) The ingredients are in the back. I thought they were superfoods from around the world. as it is considered to be the HEALTHIEST MEAL OF THE DAY not the healthiest herbs and medication of the day. I did not know what they were, I only trusted what the internet said and what all the beachbody coaches said. BIG MISTAKE
  • Natural_is_betterNatural_is_better Posts: 42Member Member Posts: 42Member Member
    Thanks for sharing. It's interesting to see it from the perspective of one of the BB coaches.

    I hope this posts helps you make decisions about "meal replacements" in the future!
Sign In or Register to comment.