Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Extreme Hormonal Imbalance :Sharing Numerous Side Effects from SHakeology anyone else?

Replies

• Natural_is_better
    Natural_is_better Posts: 42 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Unless this is Shakeology pro or con (in which case the title should be different), I don't really think it belongs here.

I wouldn't mind a pro or con debate, though, and I am con.

I asked the moderators to take it down for it was in the wrong category. THey haven't as of yet.
  • Natural_is_better
    lynn1643 wrote: »
    I actually noticed some hormone related symptoms when drinking shakeology for a week. I read that this could be related to the maca root. I didn't want it to interfere with my birth control pills so I stopped using it. Honestly, I am not looking for a debate here either. I just think it's important to check the facts and research beyond the surface when taking a new supplement.

There are a number of ingredients that may cause hormonal imbalances. It contains Ashwagandha which can also cause miscarriages. Thanks for sharing your experience. I don;t think there is anything wrong with protien shakes, but this has alot of added medicinal herbs that can interfere with pervious conditions or even create new ones.
  • Natural_is_better
    Interesting read. I've been drinking it on and off for over two years and have never experienced anything like that. The only negative "side effect" I can state for me is if I don't drink a shake for 2-3 days and then drink one I end up with a couple of extra "bathroom visits". I chalk it up to the prebiotics. When I drink it everyday I feel great and I'm super regular. To be clear I'm not a coach, I don't even buy mine from Beachbody so I'm not spewing propaganda or trying to set up any sales. I honestly drink it because I loathe most vegetables and I feel like the shake satisfies a good amount of my micro-nutritional needs. With the abundance of ingredients in the shake I wouldn't be surprised if you are allergic to at least one of them. But I gotta totally disagree with you on the workouts. BB puts out some of the best bar none.

I am Glad you did not have any reactions and that it helped you out. I am posting this for the people that did have bad side effects. Why ? Because even when you go to the beachbody forums their post on this subject is titled "unofficial side effects" which they won't even acknowledge as being "official"
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    mathjulz wrote: »
    What subject are you wanting to debate? It sounds like you were allergic to something in shakes and probably overeating.

Why is shakeology marketed as a meal replacement when it is more like an Herbal Supplement.

Why couldn't it be both?

It is marketed as the "healthiest meal of the day" as a meal REPLACEMENT but then it contains alot of herbal remedies. It is as if they got a whole GNC store and combined 70 ingredients to make the, "healthiest meal of the day"

I'm not sure what your point is. You consumed something for 6 months without bothering to check out the ingredients and despite the fact that you were having an adverse reaction to it. Hopefully you learned a lesson.

I don't see why anyone would assume something being advertised as a "meal replacement" would mean it has no herbal supplements in it. I would imagine most premade meal replacement shakes have supplements.

Doesn't Shakeology have a "proprietary blend of ..." ? They make it particularly difficult to know exactly what is in it (which, for me, means avoid :wink:)

I do think that OP may have some allergies or intolerances that might not be in the common population. But I also appreciate a former "coach" sharing her experiences. It may help some people who are considering this kind of product.

I don't see anything wrong with protein shakes. But they are available for a much more reasonable price elsewhere. And, the whole "proprietary blend" thing keeping us from knowing exactly what we're consuming bothers me.

Hmm, well that's interesting. If the ingredients aren't known, it makes me wonder how much of the OP is just an disgruntled rant against the rival coach mentioned.

lol :) The ingredients are in the back. I thought they were superfoods from around the world. as it is considered to be the HEALTHIEST MEAL OF THE DAY not the healthiest herbs and medication of the day. I did not know what they were, I only trusted what the internet said and what all the beachbody coaches said. BIG MISTAKE

Advertised as "healthiest meal of the day".

It is very unfortunate that it you had such a negative reaction to it, but hopefully you learned not to believe every marketing hype in the future. Marketing has but one job - to sell a product. They aren't in the business of full disclosure and truth.
  • Natural_is_better
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing. Its good to hear peoples experience with things. Did you put this in the right category? Considering the amout of posters who will argue/debate ANYTHING, I'm sure this is the appropriate place

Yeah this sounds more like a total vent secession in the wrong place, and even should be taken up with BeachBody.

Advice, contact Beachbody, stop taking things that make you feel bad and is laden with side effects.

My in
    What subject are you wanting to debate? It sounds like you were allergic to something in shakes and probably overeating.

Why is shakeology marketed as a meal replacement when it is more like an Herbal Supplement.

Why couldn't it be both?

It is marketed as the "healthiest meal of the day" as a meal REPLACEMENT but then it contains alot of herbal remedies. It is as if they got a whole GNC store and combined 70 ingredients to make the, "healthiest meal of the day"

I'm not sure what your point is. You consumed something for 6 months without bothering to check out the ingredients and despite the fact that you were having an adverse reaction to it. Hopefully you learned a lesson.

I don't see why anyone would assume something being advertised as a "meal replacement" would mean it has no herbal supplements in it. I would imagine most premade meal replacement shakes have supplements.

Doesn't Shakeology have a "proprietary blend of ..." ? They make it particularly difficult to know exactly what is in it (which, for me, means avoid :wink:)

I do think that OP may have some allergies or intolerances that might not be in the common population. But I also appreciate a former "coach" sharing her experiences. It may help some people who are considering this kind of product.

I don't see anything wrong with protein shakes. But they are available for a much more reasonable price elsewhere. And, the whole "proprietary blend" thing keeping us from knowing exactly what we're consuming bothers me.

Hmm, well that's interesting. If the ingredients aren't known, it makes me wonder how much of the OP is just an disgruntled rant against the rival coach mentioned.

I'm just taking her post at face value. She thought she was doing something smart. She learned she wasn't. Now she's zealously informing others.

Thanks!:)
    I did think I was helping end the trend of obesity while drinking the healthiest meal of the day and telling all of my friends and family how awesome my company was until i dug deeper into the reality of this company when I noticed that I was not only NOT getting healthier but, was getting sicker and sicker every day. I thought I had developed many problems like the ones mentioned above. I even thought I was hitting menopause at 30 because of the hot flashes and other symptoms.
  • Natural_is_better

RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing. Its good to hear peoples experience with things. Did you put this in the right category? Considering the amout of posters who will argue/debate ANYTHING, I'm sure this is the appropriate place

Yeah this sounds more like a total vent secession in the wrong place, and even should be taken up with BeachBody.

Advice, contact Beachbody, stop taking things that make you feel bad and is laden with side effects. [/

Why couldn't it be both?

I'm just taking her post at face value. She thought she was doing something smart. She learned she wasn't. Now she's zealously informing others.

Yeah, I got that. ;)

I find it hard to believe that her results are common given how many people drink Shakeology regularly. But it's possible that more people have these reactions than report it. I doubt many continue drinking it for 6 months after they experience negative effects. Most probably just cancel the subscription and move on to something else.

because I did not realize that it was causing these problems until I stopped drinking it. After I stopped drinking it I returned to my old self again. The truth is that there are many people who develop side effects to shakeology. many may not even know like myself.
  • Natural_is_better
    The only side effects from Shakeology I've seen is a drastic weight loss in one's checking account and/or wallet.

lol. They share pictures of people losing weight and you ask, is that you? Ohh noo that's so and so from so forth. It's never really THEM.
  • mellyo77
    mellyo77 Posts: 214 Member
    I have heard a lot of people complain about headaches, stomach aches, and other of the other OP's complaints from using Shakeology. My girlfriend is a former "coach" and her doctor told her to stop drinking the shakes because they were having negative effects on her health after her last physical/blood work. Its just another pyramid scam, I have seen the above mentioned comments about coaches and how they are taught to coach, and approach others in people I know who sell it and have tried to rope me in.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    If anything, there are lessons in critical thinking here.

Why are you trusting "what the internet says" "what advertising says".
    Why are you taking a shake to "get better abs"?
    What makes you think you gained 22 lbs from a shake? (Hint: you didn't.)
    What makes you think you got colds and a sore throat from a shake (Hint: you didn't.)

Quick search for a "FitForLife21dtf" Blog shows up nothing - just how you copy pasted this post into scam.com
    If you are claiming shakeology gives you cancer, please back up those claim.

• Natural_is_better

Why couldn't it be both?

Yeah, I got that. ;)

I find it hard to believe that her results are common given how many people drink Shakeology regularly. But it's possible that more people have these reactions than report it. I doubt many continue drinking it for 6 months after they experience negative effects. Most probably just cancel the subscription and move on to something else.

I bet her results are somewhat common. Folks don't always see slowly arising issues. But who knows.

Interesting. Why do you suppose it's common?

For the record I have no stake in this game, just curious.
    The only side effects from Shakeology I've seen is a drastic weight loss in one's checking account and/or wallet.

lol. They share pictures of people losing weight and you ask, is that you? Ohh noo that's so and so from so forth. It's never really THEM.

I will say this. This sort of drink may have helped me realized that I may have some medical problems I did not know about. I kind of hate the doctor and, I feel great now 4 months after drinking it but I should go in for a check up any way. I suppose we must look at the positive side to everything. and as of the former coach. I was angry with her for pushing the products and getting into my head. I now feel compassion for her since she is soooo sucked into this company and will not take advice from anyone, not even friends and family, she sees this as a life saving opportunity. Meanwhile she works 40-50 hours a week without getting much money back and, Both her and her son drink and She and her son get sick often.
  • EvgeniZyntx

Why couldn't it be both?

Yeah, I got that. ;)

I bet her results are somewhat common. Folks don't always see slowly arising issues. But who knows.

Interesting. Why do you suppose it's common?

For the record I have no stake in this game, just curious.

I will say this. This sort of drink may have helped me realized that I may have some medical problems I did not know about. I kind of hate the doctor and, I feel great now 4 months after drinking it but I should go in for a check up any way. I suppose we must look at the positive side to everything. and as of the former coach. I was angry with her for pushing the products and getting into my head. I now feel compassion for her since she is soooo sucked into this company and will not take advice from anyone, not even friends and family, she sees this as a life saving opportunity. Meanwhile she works 40-50 hours a week without getting much money back and, Both her and her son drink and She and her son get sick often.

Wait, you have all the medical issues you posted in the first post and haven't seen a doctor?

whelp.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    umad bro?
  • Natural_is_better

What makes you think you got colds and a sore throat from a shake (Hint: you didn't.)

Quick search for a "FitForLife21dtf" Blog shows up nothing - just how you copy pasted this post into scam.com
    Yes I seriously learned alot about critical thinking and "trusting your friends"

I said coaches claim Shakeology PREVENTS cancer, according to hundreds of beachbody coaches. lol.

and No I drank shakeology and used exercise videos to get better abs lol.

I said I stopped drinking the shake after I gained 22lbs. and I gained the weight due to many factors.

1. I replaced a meal with a shake but didn't follow the meticulous plan of cutting down calories because I did not want to LOSE weight only have a MEAL replacement. I did not think it would make me gain weight.

2. I am sure All the hormonal and digestive issues also attributed to the weight gain. As this is not a typical protein shake. It includes many herbal remedies disguised as "superfoods"

3. I know I got sick from shakeology because within the 6 months I stopped drinking the full dose and, Once I started drinking the full dose again, I got the same throat infection I had when I first began to drink the full dose.

I lost my voice for over week and coughed for weeks. This is also one of the reasons I stopped drinking it.

As for the blog no I did not single out one coach. It was sarcasm. For alot of coaches post on their blogs that people "are delusional for thinking there is anything more nutritious out there" or that "it's the healthiest meal of the day"

I did Copy this and pasted this post onto scam.com since it was the most consise version I have written.
  • Natural_is_better
    Didn't think it was legal to not put something on a nutrition label; that label looks pretty complete. What in there is "hidden"? Additionally, I believe "proprietary blend" means they don't have to state the concentrations of certain ingredients, but they do have to list them. Seems like they're all there.

I agree. If the debate is whether Shakeology is doing something shady I feel like the OP has failed to make her case. If you blindly buy into marketing hype for anything without checking it out I don't see how you have anyone but yourself to blame for consequences.

I want to put out a list of side effects since the company doesn't provide a very good one . Infact, when I called coach relations they said the side effects i mentioned were not typical. which is NOT TRUE . Simply lol.
  • Natural_is_better
    mellyo77 wrote: »
    I have heard a lot of people complain about headaches, stomach aches, and other of the other OP's complaints from using Shakeology. My girlfriend is a former "coach" and her doctor told her to stop drinking the shakes because they were having negative effects on her health after her last physical/blood work. Its just another pyramid scam, I have seen the above mentioned comments about coaches and how they are taught to coach, and approach others in people I know who sell it and have tried to rope me in.

Sometimes people will not believe it until it happens to them.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited March 2016

Yes I seriously learned alot about critical thinking and "trusting your friends"

I said coaches claim Shakeology PREVENTS cancer, according to hundreds of beachbody coaches. lol.

I said I stopped drinking the shake after I gained 22lbs. and I gained the weight due to many factors.

1. I replaced a meal with a shake but didn't follow the meticulous plan of cutting down calories because I did not want to LOSE weight only have a MEAL replacement. I did not think it would make me gain weight.

2. I am sure All the hormonal and digestive issues also attributed to the weight gain. As this is not a typical protein shake. It includes many herbal remedies disguised as "superfoods"

3. I know I got sick from shakeology because within the 6 months I stopped drinking the full dose and, Once I started drinking the full dose again, I got the same throat infection I had when I first began to drink the full dose.

I lost my voice for over week and coughed for weeks. This is also one of the reasons I stopped drinking it.

As for the blog no I did not single out one coach. It was sarcasm. For alot of coaches post on their blogs that people "are delusional for thinking there is anything more nutritious out there" or that "it's the healthiest meal of the day"

I did Copy this and pasted this post onto scam.com since it was the most consise version I have written.

I believe this was the comment he was referring to

I read somewhere on a FitForLife21dtf Blog that I may develop cancer and that I am insane for thinking that there is anything healthier out there thank shakeology but for those symptoms, I think i will take my chances!!!!

ETA - after re-reading for the third time, I think I understand what you were trying to say is you were taking Shakeology to prevent cancer? But you won't now because of the side effects?

When I read it the first few times it read like you were saying you may get cancer because you used Shakeology.
  • EvgeniZyntx

So how does a 160 cal shake make you gain 22 lbs?
    Especially if you are using it to replace a meal that is likely of higher calories?

You should still see a doctor if you are seeing those issues.
    And most superfoods are ... just food.

• Natural_is_better

I believe this was the comment he was referring to

I read somewhere on a FitForLife21dtf Blog that I may develop cancer and that I am insane for thinking that there is anything healthier out there thank shakeology but for those symptoms, I think i will take my chances!!!!

ETA - after re-reading for the third time, I think I understand what you were trying to say is you were taking Shakeology to prevent cancer? But you won't now because of the side effects?

When I read it the first few times it read like you were saying you may get cancer because you used Shakeology.

Yes I totally put in a typo There SO SORRY :) Instead of "Thank Shakeology" it was supposed to be "Than Shakeology"

"I read somewhere on a FitForLife21dtf Blog that I may develop cancer and that I am insane for thinking that there is anything healthier out there thank shakeology but for those symptoms, I think i will take my chances!!!!"
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member

Why couldn't it be both?

You've just answered your own question. Why do they claim it to be the "healthiest meal of the day"? Marketing ploy so people like you go out and buy into the idea that a shake is actually healthier than an actual meal.

And it seemed to have worked in this case. They should keep using that marketing if they can get people on the hook for it for 6 months.
  • Natural_is_better

So how does a 160 cal shake make you gain 22 lbs?
    Especially if you are using it to replace a meal that is likely of higher calories?

You should still see a doctor if you are seeing those issues.
    And most superfoods are ... just food.

Since I didn't want to LOSE weight, I kept my same other meals. ALSO BIG Mistake I did not have a scale and didn't weigh myself for months.

Plus I moved to a new city so my old friends and family had not seen me and couldn't say something like "my you've gained weight" or something. Also since i stopped drinking the shake I have lost about 8 lbs or more give or take. My complaint is not so much about the weight gain but more about the symptoms I developed while drinking this shake.