Anyone interested in physics?

Options
13»

Replies

• soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Oo oo ooo!! That would be me. One of my hobbies is studying quantum mechanics and the cosmos. Because I can. :) I have an entire bookshelf of physics books. I'm very much an amateur, but my understanding is great. I love Brian Cox & Brian Greene, as well as Stephan Hawking's works. My big problem is that I am LAME at teh maths. :P

Fortunately, it appears that as computing moves forward, especially storage, I'll have an advantage from my background of study. :D
    You forgot about Michio Kaku!

I am a Mechanical Engineer by education and trade, but I love physics. Especially quantum mechanics and particle physics. And am even good at the maths (minored in Mathematics). My cat is named Tori Schrödinger :wink:

I'm actually not a big fan of Michio since he's become a media ho. :\ And he's more of a theoretical physicist than quantum. I do have some of his books too! But I do believe that he and NDG are doing great things to bring science to the masses, so.
    I am not so much a fan of his futurist stuff, but I like how good of a job he does in his explanations and his passion.

I do like theoretical physics as well and have read several books on relativity.

NDG?

He is referring to Neil Degrasse Tyson. I think it is complete false to call him or Michio a media ho btw. They have a hard job. They are trying to get people interested in stuff that involves an attention span. I would much rather these guys get more media attention then Paris Hilton or Honey BooBoo. Those two actually are media *kitten* and they contribute nothing to the intellect of humanity.
  • Curved_Chica
    Options
    Do we get to watch paint dry together?

While learning about what makes everything work might not be as fun as watching "Jersey Shore" I think it is pretty darn exciting. I don't understand how anyone could honestly find it boring. If you said it was confusing I would understand but I can't fathom how it could be boring.

Come again? Sorry, I was watching my spray tan dry.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Do we get to watch paint dry together?

While learning about what makes everything work might not be as fun as watching "Jersey Shore" I think it is pretty darn exciting. I don't understand how anyone could honestly find it boring. If you said it was confusing I would understand but I can't fathom how it could be boring.

Come again? Sorry, I was watching my spray tan dry.

Ok that one made me laugh in real life.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    loving this thread...few things are more interesting than learning about how everything works.

TesseractProjection_700.gif
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    He is referring to Neil Degrasse Tyson. I think it is complete false to call his or Michio are media ho btw. They have a hard job. They are trying to get people interested in stuff that involves an attention span. I would much rather these guys get more media attention then Paris Hilton or Honey BooBoo. Those two actually are media *kitten* and they contribute nothing to the intellect of humanity.
    Oh, yeah, not the biggest fan of Nail Degrasse Tyson actually. In the astronomy/astophysisists side, I'm a fan of Mainzer, Thaller, or Filippenko.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    anyone have suggestions for podcasts? i listen to Tyson's Star Talk. also listen to Science Friday and Science Talk.
  • Merrychrissmith
    Merrychrissmith Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I am only interested in physics at the far event horizon...

Heisenberg and Schrodinger are speeding down the highway in a car. A policeman pulls them over and asks, "Do you know how fast you were going?". Heisenberg replies, "No, but I can tell you exactly where I was". The policeman, thinking this strange remark to be grounds for a search, opens the trunk and finds a dead cat. He asks Schrodinger if he knew about this cat and Schrodinger exclaims, "Well we do now!"
  • jonjhayden
    jonjhayden Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I am only interested in physics at the far event horizon...

Heisenberg and Schrodinger are speeding down the highway in a car. A policeman pulls them over and asks, "Do you know how fast you were going?". Heisenberg replies, "No, but I can tell you exactly where I was". The policeman, thinking this strange remark to be grounds for a search, opens the trunk and finds a dead cat. He asks Schrodinger if he knew about this cat and Schrodinger exclaims, "Well we do now!"
    Bump
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Wait I was watching a very educational documentary on the History Channel the other day and they were saying that physics was an invention by our alien creators. Stephen Hawkings talking machine is actually hooked up to an alien base on the moon, and they just talk through it to trick us humans so we dont realize our true potential is above the bounds of physics. Jeeze people put down the stupid books and watch some educational TV!

Giorgio-Tsoukalos-not-saying-its-aliens.jpg
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    If we add up everyone's hypothetical constructs we just might have something. :laugh:
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    In because almost all the classes I have left to take are physics and calculus. I love both, but I'm still hoping my head doesn't explode before it's all said and done.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Ok discuss.........

Holographic principle anyone?
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I'd love some pals who are interested in (or studying) physics. Anyone? :D
    no, I just came here for the nerdy guys. :)
  • ElliInJapan
    ElliInJapan Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm a physicist doing research in solid state physics so I use quantum mechanics every day in my work. My s.o. is a cosmologist, so we chat about physics a lot (maybe a bit too much) at home. And of course at work I'm always surrounded with people arguing about their calculations in front of blackboards or discussing the latest paper next to the coffee machine. Or sleeping on the sofa calling it 'work' and playing pranks on each other :laugh: So I don't talk much about physics in here, but feel free to add me if you like. I do enjoy talking about science and have fun either learning or explaining what I know.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Michio Kaku string theory anyone?
  • potatocar
    potatocar Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Michio Kaku string theory anyone?

cX0Wc8N.jpg
  • potatocar
    potatocar Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    nkQwsoP.jpg
  • mtnhiker1
    mtnhiker1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I enjoy Physics - but, such a broad topic any particular aspect of physics or just Physics in General? Physics apply so much in our lives, and most people do not seem to realize it.

I was in a Physics class - years ago - and the Prof told me - that I was unusual, during experiments, I knew what was going to happen, why it was going to happen, where it was going to happen and how it was going to happen - but I could not do the math. He said that many people that take his class could do the math but were generally clueless about what was really going on.