Silliest weight loss/fitness myth you've ever heard?

Okay, this isn't so much for those well-known myths that everyone has heard of, but some of those off-the-wall things that you have no idea where they came from.

My mother used to assure me that as long as she didn't eat dinner, the calories from drinking wine later that night didn't count. Now I tease her about it every chance I get - but she still believes it!

Replies

• ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Toxins.

ACV.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    If you eat more than one cup of berries a day you won't lose weight. Somebody told me that a couple of summers ago when I was already down 40 pounds and eating tons of berries since they were in season and cheap.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    The Paleo diet
  • knelson095
    knelson095 Posts: 254 Member
    That eating asparagus will detox your body and that's why it makes your urine smell. That the smell is the toxins being washed out. They even were making claims that eating large amounts could help cure cancer. No...just, no. The smell is caused by the by-products created when your body breaks down a sulphurous compound in the asparagus called mercapton.

I saw this on Facebook multiple times...this kind of stuff makes me angry. It's so irresponsible to tell people that asparagus will cure cancer...
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    knelson095 wrote: »
    That eating asparagus will detox your body and that's why it makes your urine smell. That the smell is the toxins being washed out. They even were making claims that eating large amounts could help cure cancer. No...just, no. The smell is caused by the by-products created when your body breaks down a sulphurous compound in the asparagus called mercapton.

I saw this on Facebook multiple times...this kind of stuff makes me angry. It's so irresponsible to tell people that asparagus will cure cancer...

I wish this was true! Lol! I love asparagus! Too funny!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Spot reduction
    Starvation mode
    Sugar is the devil
    Lifting heavy makes women bulky
    Detox/cleanses
    Tracy Anderson
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Fat makes you fat.
    Sucrose is fine for diabetics because of the high fructose content.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Toning. I hate that word. No way to "tone" a muscle. Or making muscles "long and lean." Again, not happening. Muscles are exactly the length dictated by connective tissue.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Food Babe.

Dr. Oz.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    That milk is bad for you.

That you should limit veggies and fruits because of carbs/sugar.

That consuming 80% of your calories in fats is healthy.
  • rdkstar
    rdkstar Posts: 260 Member
    I was at an omelet station at a restaurant. The guy next to me told me not to get tomatoes because they make you fat.
  • ybee1991
    ybee1991 Posts: 106 Member
    My mom used to tell me if you suck your stomach in long enough, it'll stay that way-LOL.

I also don't get people who don't eat after 8pm, but that's none of my business.
  • queenliz99

>:)
  • queenliz99
    ybee1991 wrote: »
    My mom used to tell me if you suck your stomach in long enough, it'll stay that way-LOL.

I also don't get people who don't eat after 8pm, but that's none of my business.

There is some truth to the ab thing.
  • Mardill
    Mardill Posts: 141 Member
    Eggs are bad for you. :|
  • Madelinec117
    Madelinec117 Posts: 210 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    If you eat more than one cup of berries a day you won't lose weight. Somebody told me that a couple of summers ago when I was already down 40 pounds and eating tons of berries since they were in season and cheap.

Good thing this isn't true, I just ate a bunch of fresh strawberries.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    I knew a guy who was convinced he could drink as much vodka as he wanted and not absorb any calories as long as he followed it with a glass of water.

A woman I worked with thought a teaspoon of vinegar before a meal blocked all the calories from carbohydrate.

Another friend thought anything eaten within an hour after a workout "didn't count"

I know some weird people, apparently.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    That muscle weighs more than fat. Grrrrrrr! Can't count the number of times I've read that on MFP threads.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member

This !!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Carbs Make people fat ( I gotta laugh every time I hear that one )