Silliest weight loss/fitness myth you've ever heard?

Options

Replies

• ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I knew a guy who was convinced he could drink as much vodka as he wanted and not absorb any calories as long as he followed it with a glass of water.

My sister apparently read somewhere (and now believes) that tequila helps you lose weight... somehow... :|

By making you very very ill? 'Cause that would be my guess.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Mavrick_RN wrote: »
    A Snickers bar eaten with Diet Coke cancel out the calories.

Broken cookies are less fattening due to calorie "leakage".

OK these are old jokes but just as stupid as "muscle weighs more than fat".

OK This made me really laugh! You are joking no one believes that!!! LOL!

• paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    ACV and infused water = weight loss
    Don't eat after 5PM
    Turning vegetarian or vegan is the surefire way to lose weight
    Carbs/sugar should be completely eliminated from your diet
  • MiniNyoom
    MiniNyoom Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    "Coffee will turn the fat in your body to muscle!" I'm all for more coffee but cmon
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    That muscle weighs more than fat. Grrrrrrr! Can't count the number of times I've read that on MFP threads.

Yeah, and cement weighs the same as cotton wool....

Depends. A pound of each weighs the same.

Unless I'm reading your comment oddly. Or are you saying a pound of cement doesn't weigh the same as a pound of cotton?

A bucket of cement is considerably heavier than a bucket of cotton wool, which is the point.
    That a pound of anything weighs the same as a pound of anything else is not a useful piece of information and its certainly not worth the religious fanaticism its imbued with.

For a given volume, muscle is some 18% heavier than body fat.

I get what you're saying. The argument happens all the time, but it just sounds really, really stupid to hear someone say muscle weighs more than fat.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    My mom used to say that broken (insert cookies pretzels etc) didn't count towards calorie count because it was the calories that held them together. She later told me she was joking but as a child I believed it.
  • nic041mccoy
    nic041mccoy Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    That eating late makes you fat and slows down your metabolism... People don't realize as long as your staying calorie defecit in your diet it doesn't matter what time of the day you eat :)
  • becbo22
    becbo22 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Itworks products.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    but it just sounds really, really stupid to hear someone say muscle weighs more than fat.

It doesn't because 'for a given volume' is always assumed. It is just common sense.
    Well at least in science it is assumed. I'm a scientist and never heard anyone comparing the weight of things of different volumes as it would be pointless.
    It's like comparing the weight of 5 apples to 1 banana. Or 1 bottle of water to 3 bottles of milk. Who cares which is heavier if the volumes are not the same. Lol.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    but it just sounds really, really stupid to hear someone say muscle weighs more than fat.

It doesn't because 'for a given volume' is always assumed. It is just common sense.

Common sense is something many people lack. You can see this on several posts on this forum, people will write things like "I'm only eating 1000 calories per day but I haven't lost weight. I run for 20 minutes two to three times per week. I'm pretty sure I'm gaining muscle then, since muscle weighs more than fat, but how come the scale hasn't really moved in two months. What gives?"

At this point, anyone with common sense and basic knowledge of the human body has facepalmed several times over at the example above. However, for every five of us that know how wrong all of that is, there are about 50 who firmly believe all of it.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Skipping <<insert meal time>> will slow down your metabolism.

Anything that encourages cutting out any foods, has silly rules and....
    Counting calories doesn't work.

Oh, anything by most diet 'gurus' on FB, tumblr, twitter, instagram.
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    Worst I heard came from my former nutritionist:

You shouldn't mix different types of protein (so I can't have a piece of chicken breast with a sprinkle of Parmesan on it, which is really yummy btw, because these count as two different. Same with yoghurt and milk. Not the same type of protein...) because your body can't metabolize it and all the excess will be stored as fat.

Same rule for carbs. Only one type of carb per meal. Meaning, I can't have strawberries and raspberries together. Supposedly these are different types of carbs...
    I've heard that carbs and protein, and carbs and fat shouldn't be combined. Those are the best combinations, though!
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Detoxes and cleanses. They're scams.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Grandma--"Eating bread crusts will make your hair grow curly." When I was a little girl, mom had to by a lot of loaves of bread at the grocery store because someone who had stick-straight hair would rip into loaves in the bread section and just eat the crusts.

It was a while before Grandma got to visit again. :smiley:
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »

Well at least in science it is assumed. I'm a scientist and never heard anyone comparing the weight of things of different volumes as it would be pointless.
    It's like comparing the weight of 5 apples to 1 banana. Or 1 bottle of water to 3 bottles of milk. Who cares which is heavier if the volumes are not the same. Lol.

It may be assumed in science, but given some of the posts we see on this board, I do not believe it is a safe assumption here.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Folks, instead of arguing about whether the statement that "muscle weighs more than fat" is obviously true or obviously false, how about we all just agree to say this:

"Muscle is denser than fat."

However, it is true to say that an ounce of silver weighs more than an ounce of lead!
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Eating more than two bananas a week is bad for weight loss.

Eating carbs after 3pm/6pm/7pm/8pm will mean they're stored as fat.

Pasta is junk food.

Peanut butter is too much sugar (the peanut butter I get is basically just made up of peanuts).

Bread makes you fat.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    bwogilvie wrote: »
    Folks, instead of arguing about whether the statement that "muscle weighs more than fat" is obviously true or obviously false, how about we all just agree to say this:

However, it is true to say that an ounce of silver weighs more than an ounce of lead!

Ah, but it is only necessarily denser under the same conditions, too! Muscle on earth would not be as dense as fat inside a black hole.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

Ah, but it is only necessarily denser under the same conditions, too! Muscle on earth would not be as dense as fat inside a black hole.

This is relatively awesome!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options

True, and you wouldn't even need to go inside a black hole. Fat at the bottom of the Mariana Trench would be denser than muscle at the surface.