Sugar intake help

Hi just wondering how much sugar is a low sugar intake ?
I have the sugar app but didn't like it so thought if I could put a number on it would help.

Thanks

Replies

• shaddowstorm
    shaddowstorm Posts: 155 Member
    I'm currently on 45g a day to me that sounds too much but not sure
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    WHO recommendation is less than 5% of calories for added sugar. There are no credible limits for sugar in general (the issue with added sugar is mainly calories and also nutrition).
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    45 grams is nearly 12 teaspoons, that is a lot. If you are insulin resistant (very common, and a marker for being on path for type 2 diabetes) you need to keep it LOOOOOW. Best to consume natural sugars found in whole plant food only, and avoid all added sugars. The WHO recommendations assume you are healthy. If so, you have that number. If not, try to bring it even lower. And if you are not convinced, watch 'That Sugar Film'. It's very entertaining but also very informative.
  • lemurcat12
    Ugh. Maybe ignore propaganda and fear mongering like the above and stick to the WHO and the Dietary Recommendations, like I suggested above.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Ugh. Maybe ignore propaganda and fear mongering like the above and stick to the WHO and the Dietary Recommendations, like I suggested above.

This.

"That Sugar Film" is misinformation. Same with "Fed Up". Avoid both.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited March 2016
    I'm currently on 45g a day to me that sounds too much but not sure

That's 15% of 1200 calories which is MFP's default. It is total sugars from all sources.

The EU has 90 grams a day as a reference intake for labelling purposes (eg to say what % of your daily sugar is in a given product).

The recent US Dietary guidelines recommend a 10% of calories limit on added sugars which is probably compatible with MFP's 15%.

The WHO say "In both adults and children, the intake of free sugars should be reduced to less than 10% of total energy intake. A further reduction to below 5% of total energy intake would provide additional health benefits."

There's misinformation from all sides of the sugar debate.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    you can have way more than that if it suits you, google 'twinkie diet'
  • Caramelina1
    Caramelina1 Posts: 1 Member
    I've heard 9g of refined sugars is about safe enough. The 45g rda on here is from all sources I think - like naturally occurring sugars in fruit.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    I've heard 9g of refined sugars is about safe enough. The 45g rda on here is from all sources I think - like naturally occurring sugars in fruit.

50g is safe for someone without metabolic conditions that relate to sugar.
  • lemurcat12

And this is based on nothing, apparently.

My logging for yesterday is crap, since I went out to dinner (no added sugar involved, however), but check Friday. I was over the 45 (not over my own sugar limit, since I'm not on 1200), but only through fruit and veg. Why on earth would this be a problematic diet?

If someone eats lots of fruits and veg the MFP limit doesn't fit them, at least not on low cals. There's no benefit to bread vs. an apple.
  • KarlynKeto
    Orphia wrote: »

How so? I thought it offered an excellent view into the world's obsession with sugars, the obesity health crisis, and how prevalent sugar is in most of our food options.
  • Orphia
    KarlynKeto wrote: »

How so? I thought it offered an excellent view into the world's obsession with sugars, the obesity health crisis, and how prevalent sugar is in most of our food options.

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/does-the-movie-fed-up-make-sense/
  • KarlynKeto

I never saw the movie Fed Up, I was asking about the movie that Sugar Film.
  • Orphia

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/medical_examiner/2015/08/that_sugar_film_science_debunking_links_to_mood_health_fatty_liver_disease.html
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    @shaddowstorm as you can read you are going to have to do your own research to try to answer your question with science vs emotions.

This is not doable by many but my total carbs are <50 grams a day to manage my pain without taking Enbrel injections because my health was failing fast. The side effects of weight loss then maintaining that lose for the past year, IBS of 40 years is gone, joint and muscle pain is well managed, etc are signs it works for this old man.

If you are just trying to avoid the metabolically syndrome, Type 2 diabetes, etc that is a worthwhile goal. For sure sugar is not a required food for the best health. Take you time and try different things for say 90 days at a time and see if body indicates Yes or No or Maybe.

For many there is nothing evil about sugar. It and grains came to hate me (no food does not have emotions :) ) or rather I hated the side effects of both that I listed above indirectly.

Time is on your side unlike in my case so try different macros to find a few that work for you to gain/keep better health for life.

• 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    you can have way more than that if it suits you, google 'twinkie diet'

What nutritional balance is that? How to really improve your sugar addiction?
  • 6pkdreamer
    I have the sugar app but didn't like it so thought if I could put a number on it would help.

Thanks

If you can achieve 45 grams total your doing better than average american who has 200 grams of refined sugar.
    Just remember MFP addes up all sugars in food be it an capsicum, tomatoe or teaspoon of sugar
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    6pkdreamer wrote: »

Thanks

If you can achieve 45 grams total your doing better than average american who has 200 grams of refined sugar.
    Just remember MFP addes up all sugars in food be it an capsicum, tomatoe or teaspoon of sugar

200g of sugar a day??
  • 6pkdreamer

Thanks

200g of sugar a day??

Yep (as best I can read the figures)
    Hard to imagine or believe I know- approx 71kg/year (194gram/day) of refined sugar.
    see-
    http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=56589

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member

Thanks

200g of sugar a day??

Hard to imagine or believe I know- approx 71kg/year (194gram/day) of refined sugar.
    see-

That's crazy high. I don't think I could eat that much sugar if I tried!

• 6pkdreamer

Thanks

200g of sugar a day??

see-

Drink perhaps a 7 Eleven 64oz Big Gulp 186 grams.

Just remember this is average per person and 1some people may have say less than half ie 100 grams/day while others might be double 400 gram/day. Actually might be higher if you assume babies and toddlies (I hope ) don't drink soda (unless your say Mexico that put it in baby bottles) Self destruction!
  • yarwell

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/medical_examiner/2015/08/that_sugar_film_science_debunking_links_to_mood_health_fatty_liver_disease.html

So some article trumps a documentary film. Impressive stuff.
  • yarwell

Thanks

200g of sugar a day??

see-

Many "developed" economies get through about 50 kg/person/year of crystalline sugar. 1 kg/week, 140 grams a day. That goes into all manner of food and drinks of course, and someone else may be pulling up your average, but an ever declining amount is purchased and used as "table sugar".
  • lemurcat12

Thanks

200g of sugar a day??

Not even close.

This from the AHA says that American women on average consume about 57.5 g of added sugar. Still too much, but nowhere near 200 g.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/HealthyEating/HealthyDietGoals/Frequently-Asked-Questions-About-Sugar_UCM_306725_Article.jsp#.Vu7E7RIrJE4
  • yarwell
    edited March 2016

Thanks

200g of sugar a day??

Not even close.

This from the AHA says that American women on average consume about 57.5 g of added sugar. Still too much, but nowhere near 200 g.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/HealthyEating/HealthyDietGoals/Frequently-Asked-Questions-About-Sugar_UCM_306725_Article.jsp#.Vu7E7RIrJE4

Not convinced about their stats, I think this excludes HFCS for starters and NHANES is a food diary recall thing isn't it ?

The USDA put US domestic sugar (no HFCS) consumption at 10m tonnes, divide that by 320m people I arrive at 85.6 grams/day.
  • lemurcat12
    edited March 2016
    yarwell wrote: »

Thanks

200g of sugar a day??

Not even close.

Not convinced about their stats, I think this excludes HFCS for starters and NHANES is a food diary recall thing isn't it ?

The USDA put US domestic sugar (no HFCS) consumption at 10m tonnes, divide that by 320m people I arrive at 85.6 grams/day.

The AHA numbers are including all kinds of sugar (so yes, it includes HFCS).

There are issues with all measures of what people consume, but this seems a lot more likely to me and is consistent with the stats I've seen lots of other places. Men and younger people are higher on average.
  • rpachigo
    rpachigo Posts: 96 Member
    6 tsp added sugar for women and 9 tsp added sugar for men daily. AHA guidelines
  • 6pkdreamer

Thanks

200g of sugar a day??

Not even close.

Thats if you are living in the year 2005.
    That AHA article states 20 teaspoons ie 20x4=80 in 2005!
  • yarwell
    Corn refiners reckon on 30g/day per person average domestic HFCS consumption which combined with sugar goes just over 100 g/day average certainly short of 200g.

http://corn.org/publications/statistics/hfcs-consumption/
  • lemurcat12
    edited March 2016

Thanks

200g of sugar a day??

Not even close.

Thats if you are living in the year 2005.
    That AHA article states 20 teaspoons ie 20x4=80 in 2005!

It's gone down in recent years (although don't know when that started).

Here's another source (contained within the article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2016/01/07/sugar-new-u-s-dietary-guidelines-adds-upper-limit-to-recommended-consumption-of-added-sugars/) that says for a woman between 31 and 50 its about 59 g of added sugar. (Some other groups are higher -- I'm focusing on this group because Christine was comparing the figure given to her own usage, and while I think 240 calories from added sugar is still crazy high it's quite different from 800.)