Juice plus diet

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    GFH8 wrote: »
    I started the JP diet 3 weeks ago starting with a 2 week detox and for the last week shake replacements for breakfast and lunch.

I have lost 10lb so far
    I am not sure why there are so many negative comments. Juice and smoothies are a great way to pack in some nutrients and cals for a quick meal or snack, especially if you are someone who struggles with skipping meals due to lifestyle. I work 3rd shift and juice/smoothies are nice post work especially if I want to have something but head to bed soon after, it is easy hydrating and easy to take on the go.

I am sure many people use the term detox, a process or period of abstaining, when eliminating processed foods, alcohol and caffeine or foods they do not feel are serving their bodies well. There are physical and mental aspects of "detox" Just because we have these ideas of fab lemonade cleanses in our minds when we think of the word detox doesn't mean it is a naughty word we ought to avoid at all cost. You must abstain in order to allow you body to go through its process and if increasing your water or juicing or eating clean to crowd out your cravings helps go for it.

Detox is not synonymous with a process or period of abstaining. "Detox" is short from detoxification, which is the removal of a poisonous substance from the body. You don't remove a poisonous substance from the body only to go right back and consume more of it. It's either poisonous, or it's not. We do not all have "these ideas of fab lemonade cleanses in our minds when we think of the word "detox"." Additionally, there is no reason to abstain from substances that are not poisonous, and abstaining with do absolutely nothing to "allow the body to go through its process"; the body will go through its process regardless of what you're eating. The only time it will not "go through its process" is if you're sick enough to be in the hospital / on dialysis, or dead.

This. When did detox start to mean "not eating certain foods I think are too caloric" or "dropping some foods for a time"? Or even "not eating foods I think disagree with me"? Corn doesn't really agree with me, I still sometimes eat it (hoping that has changed), but it's not a "detox" if I don't eat it, no matter how much juice I may drink while not eating corn. Similarly, I'm allergic to penicillin. Not consuming penicillin does not = detox.

Also, not lying and saying positive things about a fad diet is NOT being unsupportive. I am glad that MFP is anti fad diets.

Having looked up this JuicePlus thing, looks like it's an expensive scam:
    Next Best Thing To Fruits and Vegetables

Juice Plus+ is whole food based nutrition, including juice powder concentrates from 30 different fruits, vegetables and grains. Juice Plus+ helps bridge the gap between what you should eat and what you do eat every day. Not a multivitamin, medicine, treatment or cure for any disease, Juice Plus+ is made from quality ingredients carefully monitored from farm to capsule to provide natural nutrients your body needs to be at its best.

So this raises the rather obvious question: why not just eat fruits and vegetables as part of an overall sensible, balanced diet?

Of course any detox is a scam.

More information here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juice_Plus

Here's a connection I was unaware of: "University of California Berkeley Wellness Letter and MLMWatch also commented on the unreliability of Juice Plus testimonials provided by former professional athlete O.J. Simpson. Simpson, known commonly as "O.J." and "The Juice", signed a multi-year six-figure contract with NSA in January 1994 and became an official celebrity endorser of Juice Plus. In March 1994, Simpson was videotaped telling 4,000 Juice Plus distributors at a sales meeting that the product had cured his arthritis, improved his golf game, and freed him from using anti-arthritic drugs. However, regarding the murder of his ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend, Ronald Goldman, for which Simpson was tried and acquitted, Simpson claimed in his defence that he was too incapacitated by arthritis to have committed the murders and had continued to take the anti-inflammatory drug sulfasalazine. As a result of the controversy surrounding Simpson, NSA cancelled his endorsement contract and stopped using the Simpson videotape to promote Juice Plus."
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    CiaraCatch wrote: »
    You know she said she's drinking juice once a day, and two meals, yes? That's easily sustainable and she's likely learning about real food too.

Cheers Ciara at least one of you on here is not a troll.

People that hang around on weight loss support groups I thought were meant to be well you know supportive of there fellow weight lossers. Instead I'm being kicked around the playground for using the work 'detox'

Well maybe I should have been a little clearer about my 'Detox' I have IBS and Intolerance to wheat and dairy and still eat them as I love cheese and bread.
    So my detox was
    No wheat
    No dairy
    No alcohol
    No processes food contains words I can not pronounce or containing Enumbers
    No process sugars

Ow silly me for not realising that cutting this produces from my diet was a bad thing, that eating clean and fresh foods for two weeks means being stupid about how I diet

You are getting zero support because you are openly promoting a MLM/Pyramid scheme. People are hear looking for advice on healthy and sustainable ways to loose and keep weight off. You're just another in a long list of posters that got blagged by and expert.

I only popped on here to flag this as it seemed like you planned to "advise" like the other "experts" that pop up time to time.
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    You know she said she's drinking juice once a day, and two meals, yes? That's easily sustainable and she's likely learning about real food too.

People that hang around on weight loss support groups I thought were meant to be well you know supportive of there fellow weight lossers. Instead I'm being kicked around the playground for using the work 'detox'

Well maybe I should have been a little clearer about my 'Detox' I have IBS and Intolerance to wheat and dairy and still eat them as I love cheese and bread.
    So my detox was
    No wheat
    No dairy
    No alcohol
    No process sugars

Ow silly me for not realising that cutting this produces from my diet was a bad thing, that eating clean and fresh foods for two weeks means being stupid about how I diet

You are getting zero support because you are openly promoting a MLM/Pyramid scheme. People are hear looking for advice on healthy and sustainable ways to loose and keep weight off. You're just another in a long list of posters that got blagged by and expert.

I only popped on here to flag this as it seemed like you planned to "advise" like the other "experts" that pop up time to time.

HEALTHY WAYS? ha.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Why ha?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I'm mostly upset that they've branded themselves as Juice Plus+, because I keep reading it as "juice plus plus."
  • SusanKing1981
    SusanKing1981 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I started the JP diet 3 weeks ago starting with a 2 week detox and for the last week shake replacements for breakfast and lunch.

I have lost 10lb so far

These "shake replacements", are you making them or do they come pre-packaged?
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    selina884 wrote: »

So my detox was
    No wheat
    No dairy
    No alcohol
    No process sugars

HEALTHY WAYS? ha.

And sustainable.

If you are suggesting JP is healthy I think you need to re-evaluate what you consider nutritious.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    So eliminated "processed" foods but is using highly processed Juice Plus+ products? Seems legit.

And genuinely because I don't know the nutrition content of these shakes but there's no wheat or dairy in them? Because most meal replacement drinks do have one or both of those things I think.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    So eliminated "processed" foods but is using highly processed Juice Plus+ products? Seems legit.

Heh, so true. Like I said before, if one wants the benefits of fruits and vegetables, there's always the option of, I dunno, eating fruits and vegetables.
  • melblades
    melblades Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Juice plus has been a lifesaver for me throughout my illness, I'm very skeptical about these sorts of diet plans, but I never used it to loose weight, I used to give my body the nutrients and proteins it needs that I am not able to give it. My results are fantastic and I can not recommend it enough, although I'm not sure if you could stay on it long term them support network of your reps and others using it really motivates you to stay on track which promotes effective Weightloss and the ability to maintain your weight. It doesn't break the bank and it's cheaper then weight watchers, slimming world and herbalife.
  • melblades
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Heh, so true. Like I said before, if one wants the benefits of fruits and vegetables, there's always the option of, I dunno, eating fruits and vegetables.

For some people increasing your daily intake of fruit and veg is not feesable, it's expensive and some peoples bodies can not process the amount of fruit and veg your body actually needs. Things like juiceplus gives people the oppitunity to put so,e nutrients in their body which they may not be able to do just by eating fruit and veg.
  • melblades
    Options
    faeriesue1 wrote: »

I have lost 10lb so far

These "shake replacements", are you making them or do they come pre-packaged?
    They come prepackaged powders and you make them with either semi skimmed, almond or coconut milk. I mix mine with other fruit and veg or mint to make chocolate mint shakes gorgeous
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    and when you go back to eating normally...then what?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Ok so a lot of negativity about juice plus on here.

I would just like to note that I am eating solid food twice a day. Calorie controlled clean meals with no processed products or Enumbers.
    My calorie intake is around 1200 a day which is sufficient and I'm also hitting all my recommend vitamin intake.

For those of you with kind words thank you

So ... you cut calories and are losing weight. It's, like, a miracle! Whoever would have thought to do that???
  • rml_16
    edited May 2016
    Options

Juice Plus is not juice. It's vitamins. Overpriced vitamins that DO NOT contain what they claim they contain. They basically have a lot of beta carotene in them. I have a friend who sells this crap and she lies like a cheap hooker to try to get people to buy it, going so far as to claim it cured her Hashimoto's and that it will cure mine.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    rml_16 wrote: »

Juice Plus is not juice. It's vitamins. Overpriced vitamins that DO NOT contain what they claim they contain. They basically have a lot of beta carotene in them. I have a friend who sells this crap and she lies like a cheap hooker to try to get people to buy it, going so far as to claim it cured her Hashimoto's and that it will cure mine.

How horrible! Why in the world would someone be so selfish as to go so far as lie to you about the benefits of some overpriced, unregulated snake oil? It's almost like I feel we shouldn't trust people selling supplements and do our own research.
  • rml_16
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    rml_16 wrote: »

How horrible! Why in the world would someone be so selfish as to go so far as lie to you about the benefits of some overpriced, unregulated snake oil? It's almost like I feel we shouldn't trust people selling supplements and do our own research.
    First, I think she's a true believer. It's like a cult. All these MLMs are.

Second, money. She gets paid if I buy it and paid more if I sell it under her. But I can tell just by looking at her that she isn't cured of anything. She has visible symptoms of Hashi's.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    This thread is a couple months old now, I'm curious if OP is still using Juice Plus and what results she has had. So many people come on here touting these cleanses, detoxes, programs, whatever you want to call them, seem determined to do them despite feedback that they are unnecessary, but never come back with updates.

So how about it OP?
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    In order to lose weight, you have to consume less calories than you burn. That's it. Having to do that if you're accustomed to eating significantly more (which is how you gained the weight in the first place!) is made significantly more difficult, in my experience, by replacing one or two of those calorie-reduced meals with something you don't actually get to chew. If losing weight is the objective, calories become rather precious, and I'd much rather eat those than drink them because I need the satiety that food, as opposed to liquids, provide.

Also, fruit juice, although it might *sound* incredibly healthy, is not a complete and balanced meal in and of itself. And they can, depending on what you put in them, be surprisingly loaded with calories, which can be counterproductive to your goal of losing weight. You can end up not having the satisfaction of actually eating real food, *and* not really reducing caloric intake which is what the goal of losing weight is all about.

There's no magic bullet, OP. And these over-priced 'vitamins' you're taking are of poor quality and are only of benefit to the MLM scammers who sell them.

And as to the detox element here, what exactly are you trying to detox *from*? If your kidneys aren't doing the job for you, you need a hospital and not a glass of juice. :)

• tonkacrew3
    tonkacrew3 Posts: 51 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Ignore the negative talk. Juice Plus is awesome stuff! If I could afford it, I would be on it the rest of my life (the only reason I can't afford it right now is because we are on a really TIGHT, TIGHT budget.)...one income family and all. Juice Plus is the way to go!!! Keep up the good work!