Oatmeal

Options

Replies

• katieelizabethm713
    katieelizabethm713 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have always hated oatmeal and then I discovered overnight oats. It's literally like eating dessert in the morning. Put oats, almond milk, and fruit of your choice (sometimes peanut butter too) in a jar, into the fridge overnight and you don't even have to cook in the morning !!
  • shannonpinkneysp
    shannonpinkneysp Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Eileen_S wrote: »
    There are other things that you can eat besides oatmeal that are just as good. That said, I have oatmeal every morning that I work. I have the Gluten Free original and just mix in some PB2 with it.

I do this too! Put in a packet or two of stevia to sweeten it a little too. Best oatmeal I've ever had that wasn't loaded with suagar.
  • ginamcy
    ginamcy Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    If you don't like boiled oats try roasting them in granola recipe. Crunchy instead of creamy.
    socajam wrote: »
    I cook my oatmeal with the raisins in them, that way they are nice and soft, no sugar needed.

I love Flahavans Irish Oatmeal (both the steel cut and the ordinary oats) - the best on the market - although a little expensive.

I tried but still the taste was unbearable
  • ginamcy
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    If you don't like boiled oats try roasting them in granola recipe. Crunchy instead of creamy.

Oh i will definitely try this thank you!! :)
  • ginamcy
    Options
    it's absolutely not necessary to have oatmeal part of your diet, not sure why you think that :) It might be good carbs, yes, but it is not necessary. Personally I absolutely love it and I eat it because of the taste and because it gives me energy in the morning, but eat whatever you like as long as it fits your cals (and/or macros depending on what you track). Processed cereals might be high in sugar and calories, but if you don't mind that and as long as you weigh your portion, I don't see why you couldn't have it instead.

Oh thats great to hear i couldnt force myself to eat something i dont like so i try to eat the things i like in a healthy way so i wont fall of my eating healthy plan
  • ginamcy
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Don't eat them.

This. Unless you really want to like them for whatever reason, in which case you should just keep experimenting with different brands/ingredients. Have you tried Quaker's Instant Oatmeal? That's my go-to oatmeal when I'm feeling lazy. The apple-cinnamon one is to die for (I love adding blueberries!).

Seriously though, OP. If you can't stand oatmeal, you really don't have to force yourself. All the nutrients in/health benefits of oatmeal can be found in other foods.

I love quacker taste soo much better
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I like oatmeal but I have to add a bunch of toppings. Nuts and fruit just doesn't cut it... I need protein powder to make it more pudding-like, typically.
  • kat_para_
    kat_para_ Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I find oatmeal useless for my goals - all carbs and hardly any protein.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,940 Member
    Options
    kparadon wrote: »

This. I'll sometimes have it as a bedtime snack as carb-intense meals make me sleepy.

I don't like the texture of cooked rolled oats until after I've cooked it for a really long time - literally hours on super low. (You'd need a heat diffuser to do this on most gas stoves.) I do like rolled oats marinated in yogurt for a few hours or overnight.
  • Francl27
    Options

Fiber is just as important to me as protein.
  • ginamcy
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I heard oatmeal is good for belly fat
  • allstarelmo23
    allstarelmo23 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Mix oatmeal into a smoothie
  • Francl27
    Options
    ginamcy wrote: »

You hear wrong.
  • ginamcy
    edited March 2016
    Options

You hear wrong.

Actually its true i mean if you dont like it dont eat it but doesnt change the fact that it really does kill fat even bodybuilders say it
  • paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    If you don't like oatmeal, don't eat em. It's not a necessity. People who say a certain food makes you lose weight are wrong. It's all about calories in, calories out. :)
    I personally love oatmeal and can eat it plain with stevia and cinnamon, or mash a banana and add a splash of milk, or savory with salt and spices, maybe add a hard boiled egg and onions!
  • ginamcy
    Options
    paradi3s wrote: »
    If you don't like oatmeal, don't eat em. It's not a necessity. People who say a certain food makes you lose weight are wrong. It's all about calories in, calories out. :)
    I personally love oatmeal and can eat it plain with stevia and cinnamon, or mash a banana and add a splash of milk, or savory with salt and spices, maybe add a hard boiled egg and onions!

Have you ever heard of dried oats i mean instead of adding water and making it into cereal wich is yuck for me i could eat it if its like the quacker cereal
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I promised my doctor to eat oatmeal every day, to help lower LDL. I don't like "gloopy" food in general, but have had a great time grinding oatmeal into flour and making tortillas, crepes and pancakes out of it. Half a cup of oatmeal, ground up with all sorts of things, like dark chocolate powder, PB2, cinnamon, ginger, and combined with water flavored up with vanilla extract and some maple syrup, makes a nice pancakey/crepey thing that doesn't look, taste or feel like oatmeal.

The past couple of weekends, I had fun with the stand mixer: threw some Greek yogurt in there and let it go for a while; added egg and flavorings, then whisked all that up with the flavored oatmeal flour and a tiny bit of baking soda. Real life crepes!
  • ginamcy
    Options
    ejbronte wrote: »
    I promised my doctor to eat oatmeal every day, to help lower LDL. I don't like "gloopy" food in general, but have had a great time grinding oatmeal into flour and making tortillas, crepes and pancakes out of it. Half a cup of oatmeal, ground up with all sorts of things, like dark chocolate powder, PB2, cinnamon, ginger, and combined with water flavored up with vanilla extract and some maple syrup, makes a nice pancakey/crepey thing that doesn't look, taste or feel like oatmeal.

The past couple of weekends, I had fun with the stand mixer: threw some Greek yogurt in there and let it go for a while; added egg and flavorings, then whisked all that up with the flavored oatmeal flour and a tiny bit of baking soda. Real life crepes!

Omg thats great i love crepes will make a great breakfast meal prepare from night ready in morning i heard about muffins with oats are you greek?
  • CalorieCountChocula
    CalorieCountChocula Posts: 239 Member
    Options

You hear wrong.

Actually its true i mean if you dont like it dont eat it but doesnt change the fact that it really does kill fat even bodybuilders say it

Hmmm eating oatmeal does sound easier than years of intense training. I'm in.
  • ginamcy
    Options

You hear wrong.

Hmmm eating oatmeal does sound easier than years of intense training. I'm in.

Of course you have to excercise expecially if you want to lose weight you dont want all that lose skin body builders have a eating program wich they weigh everything they eat and a hard full body intense super power weight lifting work out they are super intense when the contest are up i know from out close friends we more simple people could enjoy a protein snack from time to time or everyday