ginamcy Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    ginamcy wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    kparadon wrote: »
    I find oatmeal useless for my goals - all carbs and hardly any protein.

Fiber is just as important to me as protein.

I heard oatmeal is good for belly fat

You hear wrong.

Actually its true i mean if you dont like it dont eat it but doesnt change the fact that it really does kill fat even bodybuilders say it

Hmmm eating oatmeal does sound easier than years of intense training. I'm in.

Of course you have to excercise expecially if you want to lose weight you dont want all that lose skin body builders have a eating program wich they weigh everything they eat and a hard full body intense super power weight lifting work out they are super intense when the contest are up i know from out close friends we more simple people could enjoy a protein snack from time to time or everyday

• ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Omg thats great i love crepes will make a great breakfast meal prepare from night ready in morning i heard about muffins with oats are you greek?

Glad to help! Not Greek, but a bona fide NY mutt: my father's family is from Spain and my mother, who was second generation Brooklyn-born (my sibs and I are third generation Brookynites), has a family background of mixed Eastern European Jewish members. This makes our family open to pretty much anything and everything.

• melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I used to gate oatmeal. Now I love it. Both rolled and steel cut. If you decide to try again, here's a great recipe for steel cut oats. I don't do it in the slow cooker, I follow the recipe but do it in a covered Dutch oven, cooked in oven for 1 hour at 375°

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/maple-hazelnut-oatmeal
  • ginamcy
    Options
    ejbronte wrote: »
    Omg thats great i love crepes will make a great breakfast meal prepare from night ready in morning i heard about muffins with oats are you greek?

Glad to help! Not Greek, but a bona fide NY mutt: my father's family is from Spain and my mother, who was second generation Brooklyn-born (my sibs and I are third generation Brookynites), has a family background of mixed Eastern European Jewish members. This makes our family open to pretty much anything and everything.

Oh ☺ im from ny born and raised moved to cyprus at the age of 16 so i guess im kind of stuck here
  • ginamcy
    Options
    I used to gate oatmeal. Now I love it. Both rolled and steel cut. If you decide to try again, here's a great recipe for steel cut oats. I don't do it in the slow cooker, I follow the recipe but do it in a covered Dutch oven, cooked in oven for 1 hour at 375°

Thank you soo much!! I will definitely try this
  • 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    Options

Probably taste quite.
    Just go have a good look at the recipe first as it is quite energy dense- per serve 2 teaspoons of sugar and 15 mils of maple syrup plus teaspoon of butter. Recipe says cook for 7 hours.

As an alternative soak
    When you have your breakfast make up the following for the next day.
    In a large breakfast bowl make up 1/2 a cup of oats for 24 hours in 2 1/4 cup of water (ie 2.5x amount of oats).This will make any sort of oats creamy smooth.
    Cook for 3 minutes on high and stir a lot. Should be creamy smooth if not microwave for say 1 more minute.
    whilst cooling do ten minutes of floor exercises or cool in in another bowl of cool water.
    Serve with chopped berries and a little milk.
  • melissa6771
    edited March 2016
    Options
    6pkdreamer wrote: »

Probably taste quite.
    Just go have a good look at the recipe first as it is quite energy dense- per serve 2 teaspoons of sugar and 15 mils of maple syrup plus teaspoon of butter. Recipe says cook for 7 hours.

As an alternative soak
    When you have your breakfast make up the following for the next day.
    In a large breakfast bowl make up 1/2 a cup of oats for 24 hours in 2 1/4 cup of water (ie 2.5x amount of oats).This will make any sort of oats creamy smooth.
    Cook for 3 minutes on high and stir a lot. Should be creamy smooth if not microwave for say 1 more minute.
    whilst cooling do ten minutes of floor exercises or cool in in another bowl of cool water.
    Serve with chopped berries and a little milk.

You can cut the butter in half, use light butter, cut the sugar in half, or use half sugar alternative, you can skip the maple syrup and nuts, they are not necessary, you could use all water instead of milk. There's ways to change it to make it more satisfactory for you. You could also make it into 5-1 cup servings instead of 4-1 1/4 ones. That alone brings it down to 276 calories as it's written.
  • 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Consider using oat bran instead of oatmeal- 50% higher fibre, 30% higher protein. Higher in all other nutrients like iron etc. 35% lower in calories. If you do try oat bran go say 50/50 with oat meal to start with.
  • kathnite1
    kathnite1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for recipe Melissa, I am going to try this so I can get into the healthier oatmeal
  • melissa6771
    Options
    6pkdreamer wrote: »
    Consider using oat bran instead of oatmeal- 50% higher fibre, 30% higher protein. Higher in all other nutrients like iron etc. 35% lower in calories. If you do try oat bran go say 50/50 with oat meal to start with.

Here's a recipe using oat bran. It's kind of dense but pretty good. I have not out this in the recipe builder yet. I will do it in a little while.

Carol's Core Baked Oatmeal
    Servings: 4

Mix together:
    1 cup oat bran
    1 cup oatmeal, quick or instant (mine's "toasted" from Safeway)
    1 1/2 tsp. baking powder (I like Rumford, or any non-aluminum brand)
    1 tsp. baking soda
    Pinch of salt

Blend together:
    1 egg
    1 cup FF evaporated milk (you can use skim milk, although I think FF evaporated is The Secret Ingredient! )
    1/2 cup FF plain yogurt
    1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened (I use the pre-portioned containers)
    1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
    1 tsp. cinammon
    1 tsp. Pumpkin Pie spice (rounded)
    1/2 tsp. nutmeg, (preferably freshly ground)
    3 Splenda packets

Preheat oven to 350 degrees (mine's convection).

Line 8X8" pan with Reynold's non-stick aluminum foil. (No spray required, then. For spray I like "Mazola: Canola and Sunflower Oil Spray")

Combine first set of dry ingredients.

Blend second set of wet ingredients.

Add wet ingredients to dry, stir, and scrape into pan quickly and put into preheated oven immediately.

Cook for 25 minutes or longer, until top is golden brown and sides begin to pull away from the edge of the pan.

Cool for a few minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack. Divide into 4 servings. Serve hot or cold (or "toasted").

Optional: You can add nuts and dried fruits, and count the additional points.

For Flex: Points for 1 serving baked oatmeal: 4.4 w/ FF evaporated milk; 3.9 w/skim or 1% milk~
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I tried this recipe a couple of times after I saw it in my spice catalog, and I love it! It's more like eating bread, but without the flour and extra sugar. I left the chocolate chips out but you could add them or sub in dried fruits, nuts, etc... if you wanted. It's quite satiating, too!

Holiday Chocolate Oat Loaf

Ingredients

2 Cups rolled (old-fashioned) oats
    1 TB. Pumpkin pie spice
    1 TB. Cinnamon
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. baking soda

1 Cup pumpkin purée
    1 Cup almond milk
    1 tb vanilla extract
    2 eggs
    3/4 Cup chocolate chips
    Directions

Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 9-inch loaf pan and set aside. In a large bowl, combine the oats, spices, salt and baking soda. In a second bowl, combine the pumpkin, milk, vanilla and eggs. Mix well. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry and mix. Fold in the chocolate chips. Spoon into the pan and bake at 350° for 35-45 minutes until the middle is firm. The loaf does not rise a lot. Let cool about ten minutes, then remove from the pan and cool completely. It is easiest to slice if wrapped and chilled in the fridge first.

https://www.penzeys.com/shop/recipes/chocolate-holiday-oat-loaf/
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    socajam wrote: »
    I love Flahavans Irish Oatmeal (both the steel cut and the ordinary oats) - the best on the market - although a little expensive.

Thanks for this. Just ordered the quick cook steel cut version on Amazon.

• GYATagain
    GYATagain Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Forcing yourself to eat a particular food when you hate it is just basically setting yourself up for "diet" failure. How long would you actually be able to force yourself? And why would you want to? Research up a better alternative to those nutrients and one that you will be happy with and will want to eat for the rest of your life.
  • smcrimmon84
    smcrimmon84 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I do not like oatmeal and never eat it. I've lost 61 lbs in 6 months so..you can probably skip the oatmeal if you dont like it :P
  • BeaUtiful_1413
    BeaUtiful_1413 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I eat it a lot. Try adding low cal butter, little milk, and little sugar
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    I love oats, but when I'm cutting and my calorie numbers are a bit low I tend to stay off them because the milk and other things I need to make it a satisfactory meal for me add up a bit. Oats are not essential, don't confuse traditional food with essential. I'd say the only essential food you need are vegetables. Other than that, get your macronutrients from whatever you prefer.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I like oatmeal and have it on occasion, but I either add protein powder (I don't think it adds to satiety, which is fine, as it adds tp my overall daily protein intake) or have veg on the side, or both. When the latter I often have cottage cheese or smoked salmon or tofu, but I am currently experimenting with less protein.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal every morning, its my go-to breakfast. I tried the steel cut oats thing, but did not like them or the amount of work it took to make them. So now I use the quick oats with almond milk, add a tbsp. of honey and some fresh blueberries and I'm good! It's not a ton of calories, though, so I will usually add a fried egg or two or a protein powder drink to get my protein on in the morning!

When I was in "loss mode", I used to make the Quaker Weight Control Oatmeal. I think it was like 150 or 170 calories a packet. I added water to keep the calories down, but almond milk is like 30 calories a cup, and berries cost you 20-30 calories as well depending on how many. Even a full banana would only run you another 100 give or take.

But if you don't like it, why force it? There are tons of options out there. Have an omelet, or a cereal you like, or yogurt with fruit, or whatever floats your morning meal boat?
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I just made this recipe over the weekend. It was good. She has lots of recipes that you could try if you wanted to experiment. http://breakfastdramaqueen.com/2014/03/15/pb2-baked-oatmeal/
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    kparadon wrote: »
    I find oatmeal useless for my goals - all carbs and hardly any protein.

Fiber is just as important to me as protein.

I heard oatmeal is good for belly fat

You hear wrong.

Actually its true i mean if you dont like it dont eat it but doesnt change the fact that it really does kill fat even bodybuilders say it
    No, it is not true. I agree with FrancI27. Where did you 'hear' that? Eating at a deficit is the only thing for fat loss, not eating specific foods. There are no specific foods that cause weight loss, and if anyone says there is, they are a part of the 'woo fu'.
    Not true until you can prove, with peer reviewed studies, that oatmeal causes belly fat loss.