Oatmeal

Options

Replies

• LuckyAndi
    LuckyAndi Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten oatmeal in the 7 months I've been using MFP, and I've lost weight. So, I don't have any recipes to share to make it better, but have you tried granola? Now that is a breakfast and snack I choose often. Right now I'm working on two bags of Nature Valley protein granola: cranberry almond and dark chocolate peanut butter. Granola is great by itself, mixed with some yogurt and fruit, or with a splash of milk (I like almond milk with it). I've made my own, too. It was really easy and good.
  • ginamcy
    ginamcy Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    LuckyAndi wrote: »
    I haven't eaten oatmeal in the 7 months I've been using MFP, and I've lost weight. So, I don't have any recipes to share to make it better, but have you tried granola? Now that is a breakfast and snack I choose often. Right now I'm working on two bags of Nature Valley protein granola: cranberry almond and dark chocolate peanut butter. Granola is great by itself, mixed with some yogurt and fruit, or with a splash of milk (I like almond milk with it). I've made my own, too. It was really easy and good.

Granola?? No i have never tried do you make it your own? Or ready to eat?
  • ginamcy
    Options
    ginamcy wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    kparadon wrote: »
    I find oatmeal useless for my goals - all carbs and hardly any protein.

Fiber is just as important to me as protein.

I heard oatmeal is good for belly fat

You hear wrong.

Actually its true i mean if you dont like it dont eat it but doesnt change the fact that it really does kill fat even bodybuilders say it
    No, it is not true. I agree with FrancI27. Where did you 'hear' that? Eating at a deficit is the only thing for fat loss, not eating specific foods. There are no specific foods that cause weight loss, and if anyone says there is, they are a part of the 'woo fu'.
    Not true until you can prove, with peer reviewed studies, that oatmeal causes belly fat loss.

Actually i find that if you eat some specific types of food you lose weight i am trying it and seeing amazing results more than ever!!! I use to work out but eat whatever i want and saw very very slow and poor results all i was seeing was sweat and exhaustion from all the work out now i eat more healthy and only work out twice a week well works for me
  • ginamcy
    Options
    I eat oatmeal every morning, its my go-to breakfast. I tried the steel cut oats thing, but did not like them or the amount of work it took to make them. So now I use the quick oats with almond milk, add a tbsp. of honey and some fresh blueberries and I'm good! It's not a ton of calories, though, so I will usually add a fried egg or two or a protein powder drink to get my protein on in the morning!

When I was in "loss mode", I used to make the Quaker Weight Control Oatmeal. I think it was like 150 or 170 calories a packet. I added water to keep the calories down, but almond milk is like 30 calories a cup, and berries cost you 20-30 calories as well depending on how many. Even a full banana would only run you another 100 give or take.

But if you don't like it, why force it? There are tons of options out there. Have an omelet, or a cereal you like, or yogurt with fruit, or whatever floats your morning meal boat?

• ginamcy
    Options
    6pkdreamer wrote: »
    I used to gate oatmeal. Now I love it. Both rolled and steel cut. If you decide to try again, here's a great recipe for steel cut oats. I don't do it in the slow cooker, I follow the recipe but do it in a covered Dutch oven, cooked in oven for 1 hour at 375°

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/maple-hazelnut-oatmeal

Thank you soo much!! I will definitely try this
    Probably taste quite.
    Just go have a good look at the recipe first as it is quite energy dense- per serve 2 teaspoons of sugar and 15 mils of maple syrup plus teaspoon of butter. Recipe says cook for 7 hours.

As an alternative soak
    When you have your breakfast make up the following for the next day.
    In a large breakfast bowl make up 1/2 a cup of oats for 24 hours in 2 1/4 cup of water (ie 2.5x amount of oats).This will make any sort of oats creamy smooth.
    Cook for 3 minutes on high and stir a lot. Should be creamy smooth if not microwave for say 1 more minute.
    whilst cooling do ten minutes of floor exercises or cool in in another bowl of cool water.
    Serve with chopped berries and a little milk.

You can cut the butter in half, use light butter, cut the sugar in half, or use half sugar alternative, you can skip the maple syrup and nuts, they are not necessary, you could use all water instead of milk. There's ways to change it to make it more satisfactory for you. You could also make it into 5-1 cup servings instead of 4-1 1/4 ones. That alone brings it down to 276 calories as it's written.

• LuckyAndi
    LuckyAndi Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    There are lots of ready made granolas, like the Nature Valley I mentioned. I got it because I struggle with protein, and it is made with protein powders. You can find a ton of recipes for granola online. I used a basic recipe from Pinterest then added dried fruits, nuts, and seeds.
  • ginamcy
    Options
    LuckyAndi wrote: »
    There are lots of ready made granolas, like the Nature Valley I mentioned. I got it because I struggle with protein, and it is made with protein powders. You can find a ton of recipes for granola online. I used a basic recipe from Pinterest then added dried fruits, nuts, and seeds.

Thanx
  • rnelson88
    rnelson88 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is not a necessity in any diet. The important part is your macros (Carbs/Protien/Fats)
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

You hear wrong.

Actually its true i mean if you dont like it dont eat it but doesnt change the fact that it really does kill fat even bodybuilders say it
    No, it is not true. I agree with FrancI27. Where did you 'hear' that? Eating at a deficit is the only thing for fat loss, not eating specific foods. There are no specific foods that cause weight loss, and if anyone says there is, they are a part of the 'woo fu'.
    Not true until you can prove, with peer reviewed studies, that oatmeal causes belly fat loss.

Actually i find that if you eat some specific types of food you lose weight i am trying it and seeing amazing results more than ever!!! I use to work out but eat whatever i want and saw very very slow and poor results all i was seeing was sweat and exhaustion from all the work out now i eat more healthy and only work out twice a week well works for me
    How is that possible, since eating less than you burn in the day = weight loss? Working out or not, a calorie deficit = weight loss. The deficit maters. I eat the same as I used to, but smaller weighed out portions (including accurate database entries) and have lost 80lbs. No gimmicks and no 'fat burning foods', just good old fashioned CICO.. I eat desserts, snacks as well as nutritious foods. I'd still like you to point me to studies that show which foods speed up weight loss... I'm genuinely interested to read this information based on science.

I lose the exact amount of weight eating all "healthy" or eating a balanced diet.

So, you're telling me that if I ate all these 'fat burning' foods and went over my calorie intake, I would still lose weight?
  • couturebody
    couturebody Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I absolutely hate oats. I've tried everything from honey to cocoa to syrup and fruit but I hate the texture! I felt the same way, that to lose weight i should eat oats for breakfast, but i can't. Instead I eat a slice of wholemeal toast with an egg.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

You hear wrong.

You're wrong. This is not how any of this works. Please do some research instead of spreading nonsense.
  • epeart11
    epeart11 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Try to do something else like Traditional greek yogurt.
  • 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Fibre is important. Work other areas of your diet as well by including beans (kidney, chick peas,bake bake beans) humus, felafels, whole foods like whole meal bread etc. Next when you see your doctor/nutritionist run it past him/her.
  • ginamcy
    Options

You hear wrong.

How is that possible, since eating less than you burn in the day = weight loss? Working out or not, a calorie deficit = weight loss. The deficit maters. I eat the same as I used to, but smaller weighed out portions (including accurate database entries) and have lost 80lbs. No gimmicks and no 'fat burning foods', just good old fashioned CICO.. I eat desserts, snacks as well as nutritious foods. I'd still like you to point me to studies that show which foods speed up weight loss... I'm genuinely interested to read this information based on science.

I lose the exact amount of weight eating all "healthy" or eating a balanced diet.

So, you're telling me that if I ate all these 'fat burning' foods and went over my calorie intake, I would still lose weight?

You eat the same as before than you use to but in smaller portions?? That is exactly what i am saying i am actually eating more than i use to like before i would eat once a day and eat as well chips choc... exc now i eat breakfast lunch and sometimes dinner i eat snack i eat many times a day small portions not only fatburning food you cant eat that everyday i eat what i feel like eating but in a healthier way meaning i dont eat anything fried
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

You hear wrong.

You eat the same as before than you use to but in smaller portions?? That is exactly what i am saying i am actually eating more than i use to like before i would eat once a day and eat as well chips choc... exc now i eat breakfast lunch and sometimes dinner i eat snack i eat many times a day small portions not only fatburning food you cant eat that everyday i eat what i feel like eating but in a healthier way meaning i dont eat anything fried

Repeat after me... there is no such thing as a fatburning food.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Eating too many calories is good for gaining belly fat. It doesn't matter what kind of food.

I love slow cook steel-cut oats, lumpy, with brown sugar, real maple syrup and milk. Mmmm.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

You hear wrong.

You hear wrong.

^ Francl27's right, you know. Stop arguing. You haven't even provided any solid proof (scientific studies would be nice). Word of mouth is not proof, sorry.

And, how do you know that you eat more than you used to? Were you counting calories before? Or are you just going by the volume of food? Guess what? I thought I used to eat less, too.... I was eating calorie dense foods. Yes, I was actually eating less in volume (that doesn't matter for weight loss), but I was eating more calories...well above maintenance, and that's how I gained weight, by eating more calories than I needed to, not from specific foods. Guess what? I even ate those so-called "fat burning foods" when I was 260lbs and didn't lose any weight until I started logging and dropped my caloric intake. Calories in calories out. It has been proven...and there is absolutely no concrete evidence (no evidence at all) that fat burning foods exist. It is woo. Fat burning foods developed with fad diets, disordered eating and supplements. Oh, and Dr. Oz. The only way the body is going to burn fat is through giving it less fuel than it needs to maintain. That's it.

THERE. ARE. NO. FAT. BURNING. FOODS.
    None.
    Well, fire can literally burn fat..... do you eat fire?
  • ginamcy
    Options

You hear wrong.

You hear wrong.

^ Francl27's right, you know. Stop arguing. You haven't even provided any solid proof (scientific studies would be nice). Word of mouth is not proof, sorry.

And, how do you know that you eat more than you used to? Were you counting calories before? Or are you just going by the volume of food? Guess what? I thought I used to eat less, too.... I was eating calorie dense foods. Yes, I was actually eating less in volume (that doesn't matter for weight loss), but I was eating more calories...well above maintenance, and that's how I gained weight, by eating more calories than I needed to, not from specific foods. Guess what? I even ate those so-called "fat burning foods" when I was 260lbs and didn't lose any weight until I started logging and dropped my caloric intake. Calories in calories out. It has been proven...and there is absolutely no concrete evidence (no evidence at all) that fat burning foods exist. It is woo. Fat burning foods developed with fad diets, disordered eating and supplements. Oh, and Dr. Oz. The only way the body is going to burn fat is through giving it less fuel than it needs to maintain. That's it.

None.

Maybe^ Francl27's just wants to believe in her own way to diet so she wont cut back on all the junk she swallows down her throat just so she won't leave her comfty zone thinking she will lose weight thats fine...
  • hdatres
    hdatres Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I like my oatmeal with peanut butter in it and I stirred around .it tastes like the peanut butter no bakes. Yummm yummm
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options

You hear wrong.

You hear wrong.

None.

Maybe^ Francl27's just wants to believe in her own way to diet so she wont cut back on all the junk she swallows down her throat just so she won't leave her comfty zone thinking she will lose weight thats fine...

You're arguing with science. @Francl27 knows how to lose weight and has done so. It's the amount of calories in vs the amount of calories out that will aid in weight loss. You CANNOT eat any amount of "clean" or "healthy" food you want and still lose weight, you will still gain if you eat above your maintenance level no matter what you're eating.

Even though I think it's a lost cause, I had to comment.