Options
13»

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,180 Member
    Options
    n1cholee93 wrote: »
    n1cholee93 wrote: »
    Its been 3 weeks i am not exercising and eating 1200 -- 1500 calories. Average deficit week 4000 calories per week. I gained weight 3 pounds.

When i was exercising i was losing weight. Was walking 12+ miles daily and was losing weight linearly. This is how i lost 37 Pounds. You say you burn almost 1,500+ walking

What did I wrong? Confused.
    Should I believe in deficit or not or exercise is everything about weight loss.
    I mean i always believe in calories deficit but I am disappointed.

So... Say you eat 1,500, then you're burning it ALL off, which is leaving you at 0 calories... And if you only eat 1,200 that means you're -200. That makes no sense? That means you're starving yourself? If what you're saying is actually true, your body is going into starvation mode? Are you noticing "bad" things happening to your body? Getting tired? Headaches? Anything?

You're doing something wrong either way. You're either A: Starving yourself or B: Logging wrong.

And since you're bigger, know what you lost so far could very much be water weight. You didn't gain all that weight in 3 weeks, you're not going to lose it all in 3 weeks!

Starvation mode doesn't exist....

From what i've seen, it does. Trying to eat only 1,200 calories and working out resulted in 0 pounds lost. Upping calories to 1,500 calories has started the weight loss back up. And a number of others have said the same thing. My point is, it's still unhealthy to burn off everything when we need the fuel just to survive. What is the OP suppose to do when he reaches his goals and wants to stop walking? He's going to gain back. That means he's doing something wrong and it's best he figures it out now.

No, it does. not. exist. If you burned off absolutely everything you ate and starvation mode was real, anorexics and holocaust victims [excluding the ones that died of disease] wouldn't die. Instead, they would store fat. But because starvation mode isn't real, people do indeed die from starvation. Happens all the time in third world countries.

My money is on the OP doing something wrong. Either overestimating his burns, tdee or the food he eats, or both.

OP, how are you calculating your TDEE?

I am not calculating my TDEE i already mentioned above my approach
    (A+B)-C=D
    A= Calories i burned by exercise which i am not doing for 3 weeks.
    B= BMR (only BMR, zero activity yeah i mean it because of papers i am not even moving lol, activity of 3 weeks= study, logging of food lol and washroom if you count these in TDEE then you are most welcomed :smiley:
    C= Calories i consumed/take in
    D= Deficit

This is only i am doing for 3 weeks and this was the main reason of this post that i created deficit of 3500-4000 calories and I gained weight.

Even following this you would burn more than your BMR because you are doing something, you got out of bed, you are studying, you are getting up to eat, going to the washroom, etc, those all add to BMR. By that description you would fall into the sedentary category so you would multiply BMR by 1.2 to get TDEE. As stated, you are half my age, and while I am slightly more active than you, recently, for the month of February and first week of March I was about at your activity level and I lose on 2100 calories a day being twice your age. That leads me to think you either have a medical problem or your calories consumed (C) is much higher than you think it is.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    You've weighed everything you ate.
    Did you use the correct entries for the things you ate? That's another possibility that opening your diary will help check.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,180 Member
    Options
    Your BMR at your age will be right around 2300, as one who is sedentary you will still be around 2700 calories burned in a day, meaning if you ate at 2200 calories your weight loss per week would average out to about 1 pound a week. Some weeks that would be more, some it would be less, but if you looked over a 4-6 week stretch it would start to show a consistent trend at that rate.

You are not going to be so much of an outlier that you will not lose at 1500 calories a day without exercise. Instead, as has been stated, there is an issue somewhere with calories consumed or with you having a medical problem that is severely effecting your metabolism to the point that it is functioning at less than half of what it should be functioning at. If that were the case I would expect you would have other symptoms than simply not losing weight.